Alternatives to FaceBook...(?)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Recently came across MeWe and wondered, what with all the mixed feelings towards various social media platforms for whatever reason, have any of the purported 'better options' gained sufficient traction to be a worthwhile alternative?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Discord maybe ?

Personally i am completely fine ignoring facebook without feeling any need for an alternative. Though i have heard that facebook has problems getting the younger generation to participate and that there are other successful competitors in that age segment.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Though i have heard that facebook has problems getting the younger generation to participate and that there are other successful competitors in that age segment.
Good. About time Facebook started losing something. I'm glad the younger generation is finding some better or more diverse alternatives.

I never got myself a Facebook page, and never will. Some have laughed at me for, but I ended up being right, or they ended up messing up on the website themselves

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, I suppose it depends on what you use Facebook for.

The only thing that I use Facebook for, is the last-resort "I guess I will check up on all of the people who I vaguely know" scroll, and I honestly don't think that there is a better alternative, because nothing else is as widespread as Facebook. Facebook Messenger is also useful for the same reason.

But as a social media platform for doing literally anything else, I find that pretty much every other competitor does it better.

Personally, I use Twitter and Reddit a lot.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Social media was a terrible mistake and we should all go back to not knowing what the racist uncles of the world think is necessary to tell everyone.
Pretty much this. So many studies have come out showing the direct link between increased social media use and increased depression. The human brain wasn't meant to attempt to interact with millions of people a day.
There really is something called Dunbar's Number, its the number of names and associated faces and personal information the brain can actively remember and use, and its 150. That's the number of social relationships you can have before you start forgetting or confusing details.
So when I see people say shit like "I have 4,000 friends on Facebook" No you don't. You have 4000 accounts you're linked to. You do not have 4000 friends, and your brain knows it, and it causes depression.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I prefer the social media platform FuckOff, where everyone fucks off and leaves me alone.
There really is something called Dunbar's Number, its the number of names and associated faces and personal information the brain can actively remember and use, and its 150. That's the number of social relationships you can have before you start forgetting or confusing details.
A.K.A. the "monkeysphere", the maximum amount of relations our monkey brains can maintain as "real".

Reactions: SilentPony

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
This is an age old debate mused over since the earliest of humanity's philosophers managed to learn how to talk back to their shitty overbearing parents. But don't you worry, I got your back. While you were busy living life, I studied the ancient scriptures. Looking for answers to this very eternal conundrum.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-120.jpg

Now we have the power of quantum computing, the data can be analysed at speeds we could never have imagined. Using this legally obtained and funtional technology, I have entered the available datasets multiple times, more times than I could count, and the results always come out the same. A total 100% probability rate, it's astounding, there is no room for debate left...

ezgif.com-gif-maker-24.gif

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I prefer the social media platform FuckOff, where everyone fucks off and leaves me alone.

A.K.A. the "monkeysphere", the maximum amount of relations our monkey brains can maintain as "real".
I always thought of it as the tribe number. That's how many early humans can exist in a successful tribe before its time to have some break away. But yeah, monkeysphere is a good example.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
This is an age old debate mused over since the earliest of humanity's philosophers managed to learn how to talk back to their shitty overbearing parents. But don't you worry, I got your back. While you were busy living life, I studied the ancient scriptures. Looking for answers to this very eternal conundrum.

View attachment 5333

Now we have the power of quantum computing, the data can be analysed at speeds we could never have imagined. Using this legally obtained and funtional technology, I have entered the available datasets multiple times, more times than I could count, and the results always come out the same. A total 100% probability rate, it's astounding, there is no room for debate left...

View attachment 5334

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Over the last two years, I've finally given in and deleted all social media apps off of my phone. Can't say I miss it. I haven't deleted the accounts themselves, because school essentially requires I still use Facebook, but just not having access to them (or at least the "real" versions of them, I can still use them on my mobile browser) 24/7 makes a big difference.

I second Discord, spent a lot of time on there with friends watching TV shows or working on requirements together. I fucking hate how complicated it can be, and how much it fucks up your audio, but otherwise pretty great. You aren't ever forced to look at something you don't want to or aren't interested in. My youngest sister who has just turned 14 has completely shunned Facebook in favor of Discord. Good for her, although I am disappointed she still uses Tiktok.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'm actually going to defend Facebook in that its good for tracking down and reaching out to people (for completely non nefarious reasons) and messenger is useful. Other than that yeah its just a play pen for the boomers to share fake news. I go on there but I don't know why. Sometimes I use it to scream into the void if something in particular is bothering me enough but other than that its just random stuff and my sisters MLM.

As far as anonymous Social Media, aside from the forums nothing really Jived with me (I can't stand reddit). I also made a choice years ago to get the hell away from the internet as its just a toxic place in general. Twitter especially. I do use Instagram to post art and stuff and at some point would like to start working the socials for that purpose but ultimately I don't frick with strangers online anymore and my blood pressure is all the better for it

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Facebook is useful as a way of keeping in touch with people. I use it because there are people I want to keep in touch with on it, and so long as they are there and not elsewhere, I'm not going anywhere else.

That said, I think there are lots of reasonable things to do to minimise your footprint if Facebook bothers you: give them as little information about yourself as possible, post as little as possible. I suspect lots of long-term users may already have dumped a huge amount of stuff on it before it became clear just how screwed FB was, and they're never taking any of that back. But hey, FB is probably gradually dying as youngsters don't seem much interested.

I'm not sure there is a good alternative. Either every single one of these platforms are already big and bad (maybe even worse) than Facebook, or they're aiming to do exactly what Facebook does if they ever do become big enough. You can jump ship, but if your social circle doesn't jump with you, you have the choice of either missing them or you end up on multiple social media platforms and handing information and power to even more corporations keen to exploit what they know about you.