Always On-line is Not a Deal-Breaker for Me.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well i suppose i should put this out as long as the servers work and i can play the game I'll never join the people who are attacking it. there is the truth it may not be the best but its worked for me so far.

AdamRhodes

Oct 4, 2010
tony2077 said:
well i suppose i should put this out as long as the servers work and i can play the game I'll never join the people who are attacking it. there is the truth it may not be the best but its worked for me so far.
I think the main issue is that "as long as the servers work" bit. That shouldn't even be a factor in enjoying the game alone on single-player.

They should have just marketed this as an MMO set in the Diablo universe akin to Warcraft -> World of Warcraft if that's what they wanted.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Ranorak said:
Most of our phones, tables and laptops are connected to the internet.
We criticize Nintendo for it's shitty on-line support, with friend-codes and whatnot.
I can chat with my friend on my xbox while I'm playing Skyrim and he's busy playing Halo.

We also criticized the music industry for not adapting to on-line distribution, fast enough.
News papers are becoming a media of old, because we get our news on-line.

Yet, why is it a problem when a game like Diablo 3, requires you to be on-line all the time?
Diablo 3 is build to be more then just a single player. Yes, you can play solo, you can finish the game without ever playing with someone else. But, like Battlefield games, it's strength and replay value are in multiplayer.

The always on-line feature is not just DRM. I'm not denying that is serves as DRM, but it's not JUST there as DRM, such as Assassins Creed (A true single player game, by the way).
Diablo 2 was plagues with hacks, dubbing of items and a worthless economy due to gold buying.
Always On-line tries to reduce this. Will it work 100%, of course not. But it won't fail either.

But I don't see why people are so mad about this.
If you are just going to play Diablo 3 for it's single player, you might have a reason to complain, but then again, this game was clearly not made for just single player.

If you have an unstable internet connection, I get your frustration, but the internet is the future, and I'm really sorry if your government doesn't support stable 24/7 connections, but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Maybe it's because I play on-line a lot, and see it as nothing new. But when my internet drops out, I just play something else for a moment.

And yes, I am aware of the log in problems due to the release, but those problems were both expected, and they will be gone tomorrow.

So, what are your thoughts about this, I for one wouldn't mind if more multiplayer focused games were always on-line, if it makes it easier to play with my friends, or make new ones.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster/

There's some good stuff in there, but I'd also like to address something else in this quote. "I just play something else for a moment". Well, it's great that you can do that now, but what happens when all of your games have the always online DRM and your internet goes down? What then?

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Haven't read everything, so probably going to repeat some things others have said. (Also, been a while so Hi Escapist!!!)

I don't mind it at all. My computer is connected to the internet 100% of the time. If I lose internet for some odd reason (very rare), I go do other things (play a non-online game, or something else altogether).

Even if there are reasons it needs internet connection, I can't fault a company for trying to protect itself from theft. DRM, no matter how it's handled, will be an annoyance to players. But as long as the community "justifies" theft as being ok, game companies are going to have to take steps to protect their intellectual property. And I certainly prefer companies handling it themselves than trying to handle it with SOPA, PIPA and CISPA. I don't even want to see Pirate Bay shut down, as there are circumstances where I feel its appropriate to download a game (old/hard to find games from long-dead companies, if a developer can't/won't release in your area). Unfortunately, a large portion of the community believes "Well, I can't afford this game, but I should get to have it anyways" is a viable attitude as well (speaking to the outrageous sense of entitlement in our society).

But I daresay the number of people that can maintain regular internet connectivity when they want to play outnumbers those that don't.

And if nothing else, it is not as though this DRM came as a surprise. Be a savvy consumer. Check DRM policies before you buy the game. If you disagree, don't buy it. If there is a significant hit to sales, developers/publishers will try a new tactic. But at the same time, you need to understand that if there is *not* a significant hit to sales, you may just have to suck it up.

They can't please everyone, and you may have to accept that you're not in the majority and therefore your opinion and needs will not be catered to.

targren

May 13, 2009
Good for you, OP. I suppose you'd like a cookie or something.

Breaking news: People who want to play D3 bad enough are willing to deal with always-on DRM, and people who have a problem with it aren't buying D3! More coverage as our story develops.

Coming up this hour: Trolly McDerpson still screaming that gamers are "entitled". Plus, Al Roker with the weather!

Back to you, Trolly.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Eh I can deal without D3, 1st releasing about half a game, 2nd at an higher then standard PC retail price, 3rd Attaching stupid always on DRM to it just makes it a bad deal.

And Yes you people may have internet 99% of the time, but You also can't play when their network go down, or their network are having problems, or their network needs to update.

imagine what would happen if something like sony or steam getting hacked to blizzard ;p

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
That's fine, OP, but it's an absolute deal-breaker for me. "Always on" is inconvenient and intrusive. I never purchase or play games that require it.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
It was only really a deal-breaker for me because I lived in a small rural town with shitty internet which would go out for an hour if somebody so much as breathed in the wrong direction. Now that I'm in a city I'm not totally opposed, but it's also not ideal and I try to avoid it where possible.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Good for you, but my internet constantly disconnects itself for about 15 seconds before reconnecting, making any dungeon crawling game that has to be online impossible, so I won't be getting it

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Okay, say I want to play Diablo 3, but I don't want to touch the multiplayer, don't want to chat with anyone over Battle.net, and don't care about the auction house.

Why should I be required to be connected to the Internet?

Honestly, how does an offline option hurt anyone? If people want the option, why can't they have it? It's not like it effects your game any. More options never hurt anyone.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Aeshi said:
Playing Diablo singleplayer is like playing Chess singleplayer in that you can do it but it won't be much fun.

Qitz said:
thatonedude11 said:
And Yet people who pirate the game don't have this problem
Here is the #1 problem with ANY DRM. Legit consumers are the only ones punished by it. Pirates won't give a shit, they'll work their way around it in a matter of hours.
Under that "logic" we may as well not do anything. Why make new Anti-Virus software? Hackers will just make new Viruses! Why cure diseases? Resistant versions will just show up! Let's just all lie down and die because if the Universe doesn't hand it to you forever on a silver platter on the first try it's doomed to eternal failure and isn't worth trying!
So you know what you do? You change the system to encourage people to do the right thing. Yes, there will always be the bad apples who steal and crack everything because they just don't give a fuck, but the people sitting on the fence between piracy and purchase can be swayed. Know who does this extremely well? Valve. Reasonable prices, amazing sales, integrated social networking, very fast download speeds, great convenience of library management, and (more or less) guaranteed offline mode for everything that isn't completely multiplayer.

You don't stop piracy by bolting everything to the floor, you beat it by offering a better product.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
That's all well and good, but there are still decent sized chunks of America, even, that don't have the highspeed stable connection to play always-online games. I know I'm on a monthly allowance and even if it's a meg a minute that sixty megs an hour. I'd be able to play like three hours a month tops, and that would be even if it was possible.

I don't like that Blizzard has done it to a single-player franchise with a multiplayer component just because they're greedy bastards. Don't rebut this, you're not going to change my mind, ever.

Sep 24, 2008
w00tage said:
/agree completely, but I just wanted to point out you can manually set Steam to "offline" mode. It's possible it won't work (Valve's web programming works like early Microsoft web technology, meaning not well nor very often), but at least there's a button to push.
I thought so too. Here's there stupid thing about the offline button. You have to sign online first to go offline. That's right. To make it so you don't need an internet connection to play, you have to sign on (I guess to show steam that all the games in your library are actually yours), then click the offline mode. If you aren't able to connect to the internet, you aren't able to connect with steam.

captcha: love-hate

I'm getting tired of pointing this out. If you people don't realize Captcha has now evolved, you deserve to get stepped on by the giant random phrase quoting robots when the uprising comes.