Am I a bad gamer?

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
All you have to do is ask yourself if you're having fun. That's the most important point. You could be playing seriously or you could be stealing all the couches from the board room with the strength augment and putting them in your office. You can play for the story or you can just enjoying blowing dudes heads off. hell you can play the game by putting it in your console of choice or you can shove it up your nose. It doesn't matter as long as your enjoying yourself. So don't worry too much about it.

Jun 11, 2008
I'd hardly say the good thing about TES games are the gameplay mechanics as I find block, slash, slash to be infinitely less engaging than turn based combat such as in games like Chess but that is more a preference.

Also no that does not make you a bad gamer it could just mean you are unskilled in certain areas. The only thing that has annoyed me about this gen is that while games normal settings have been getting easier there has been no way scale the difficulty up to an acceptable level for the person. I think we could call them difficulty settings. Sadly, they don't exist or are badly implemented and don't give the "challenge" of bygone days that some people(me among others) want.

That and the cutting of "superfluous" stats from RPGs to make them more "accessible" which to be quite on honest is bullshit. While people may be dumb a person is smart and is well able to play a game like Morrowind with all of its extra stats like Mysticism, Medium armour, Spears, Shuriken, Darts, etc. God forbid there's a bit of variety if you choose to use it.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Dude.... if that's what's classified as a bad gamer, then I'm a bad gamer too.

I'm one of those guys who has an idealistic view of an awesome story/gameplay hybrid, but I'll usually take a good story over crappy gameplay. (The KOTOR series is a good example for that).

I disagree only with one thing, muliplayer, but I'm a picky multiplayer-player because I only do couch/party multiplayer where people I'm with are actually in the room (this is why I love smash brothers)

Nothing wrong at all with liking a good story and even cutscenes. From what I see the "bad gamers" who enjoy generic brown FPS map packs are the ones in a majority.

But then again, I liked Sonic Adventure 2 and Fire Emblem...

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
No, but I certainly think it's odd. Gameplay is the core engagement of games and I think a game can be compelling without story elements, although I do tend to seek them out if they are available. The fact is that writing and plot in the majority of games fucking sucks. Playing games primarily for the story is like going to 4chan for the intellectual discussion.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yes.

*actually reads thread now*

Vault101 said:
1. most people say that games thease days are too easy..while I can sort of see that...I still dont often breeze through without some difficulty..in fact I know if Im doing well then the game is probably rediculously easy...:/
This is sort of an aside, but a lot of people are bitching about Kingdoms of Amalur being too easy and how they cakewalked through it. That's awesome, except for the fact that only 5% of the gamers (as of a couple weeks ago) had beat the game on hard.

I'm always skeptical about claims that a game is "too easy."

but all that simply doesnt matter..I can play for hours and have fun....but I just got bored, Imean level up and grind and all those other things in games...but theres just no motivation in skyrim , theres a story...but your encouraged to ignore it, it doenst draw you in
But there's something resembling story. However:

mabye Im a terribly uncreative person for not "making it up" myself..but yeah (and no this wasnt just to rant about skyrim...its just an example of how being an amazing "game" in of itself doesnt seem enough for me
You shouldn't be forced to make your own entertainment within a GAME.

3. multiplayer- thats just pure gameplay.....and I as I said before..play a few hours..get bored...move on, in fact the only multiplayer game to ever draw me in is ME3 (haha...yeah go figure)
Not everyone likes multiplayer.

4. cutscenes- I LIKE cutscenes, they are somthing to look forward too (not games that over do it though...*cough*yakuza*cough*) Saints row 2, Red dead redemption, Deus Ex..whatever you would call Mass effect...they all add somthing to the game (for me) and no..I dont get annoyed at them
Not a problem.

5.. I enjoy games stories...somtimes more than the actual game itself (Dragon age) does that make be both a bad gamer AND a terrible judge at what makes a good story?
It's...Multimedia?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
No, but I certainly think it's odd. Gameplay is the core engagement of games and I think a game can be compelling without story elements, although I do tend to seek them out if they are available. The fact is that writing and plot in the majority of games fucking sucks. Playing games primarily for the story is like going to 4chan for the intellectual discussion.
Its not like I dont like playing games...a game that can get the story/gameplay right is a special thing indeed (Mass effect being my absolute favorite)

its just story is more like a motivational thing than the ONLY reason

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Bad gamer? No.

I'd kick you out of a lobby in a heartbeat, but that's not because I couldn't like you personally, or because I'm angry or bitter. I just need completely the opposite from my team members- and my opponents- in order to enjoy the dwindling list of games that hardcore gamers have to choose from.

And that dwindling list `is` because of the absolutely massive, teeming crowd of people like you. But I can't blame you for spending your money on the stuff you like instead of the stuff I like.

It's fine to be whatever you are by nature.

columbianbacon

Dec 6, 2009
Yes, you are a pox to all gaming, as should trade in your consoles and games, and use the money to donate to child's play. There is one reason, and one reason only the industry is failing, and you are the type of person responsible.

Either that, or you could just be someone who experiences games different than what is popular in some cases, who has a skill level not nessiarily standard (good or bad) and still plays the games despite it. So, yeah, you are normal. Huh.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Doesn't matter, if that is what you need to enjoy a game then play games you enjoy.
It's like alcohol for me. I don't drink beer because I don't think it has taste, my friends drink to get drunk, I drink alcohol for the taste (mixtures) and to get a little tipsy, that's it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Candidus said:
Bad gamer? No.

I'd kick you out of a lobby in a heartbeat, but that's not because I couldn't like you personally, or because I'm angry or bitter. I just need completely the opposite from my team members- and my opponents- in order to enjoy the dwindling list of games that hardcore gamers have to choose from.
Im not entrily sure what you mean, because I wouldnt be good enough at the game?...as I said I only have one game for reference (ME3...as some guy said was "easy as fuck" so I dont know)

but if I did actually find a game with multiplayer i liked ot enough to stick with...I wouldnt be bad enough to warent a lobby kicking

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Amarok said:
They're bitter, angry souls who could have their every whim catered to and STILL be deeply unhappy.
Congratulations, you just described 80% of the people who complain about the final installment of anything, be it book, game or movie, 65% of people who see a remake, Zeel, and 95% of people who complain about something over the internet.

OT: Hey that's just how you like to play, nothing wrong with that. Don't worry about "uncreative" because you don't make up your own stories, that's not an expected thing. As for difficulty, well they have different difficulty levels for a reason. You're never a "bad" gamer until you single handedly make your online team lose so bad you a unanimously avoided (impressive considering no one uses that). And it doesn't count when they are over reactive punks who scream your head off for missing one shot.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Honestly, I like to think I'm pretty creative and I had a hard time role-playing in Skyrim. But you're not a bad gamer, you're a gamer who enjoys story elements. Bad gamers are people who can't figure out how to use the controller or get the disc out of the box.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Glademaster said:
The only thing that has annoyed me about this gen is that while games normal settings have been getting easier there has been no way scale the difficulty up to an acceptable level for the person. I think we could call them difficulty settings. Sadly, they don't exist or are badly implemented and don't give the "challenge" of bygone days that some people(me among others) want.
Yeah - unfortunately it's a lot easier to make an easy game that feels balanced than it is to make a hard game that's actually balanced, so most devs will take the path of least resistance haha.

I'm all for easy settings in games, but IMO it makes a lot more sense to balance games around challenge, then provide options to turn the difficulty down, than it does to make easy games and hope they become challenging and balanced when some of the numbers are tweaked upwards. But, you know,

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Vault101 said:
you could argue that there is no "wrong" way to play/enjoy games..as with most things

but this thourght acured to me...at some point while playing ME3

1. most people say that games thease days are too easy..while I can sort of see that...I still dont often breeze through without some difficulty..in fact I know if Im doing well then the game is probably rediculously easy...:/

2. I wont touch a game if it doesnt have anything resembling story...for me..thats a deal breaker...it doesnt matter if the game has the most amazing gameplay EVER if it doesnt have a story then theres no drving motivation to stick with it (well...granted I'll probably play it for a few hours, but I wont stick with it)

an example is Skyrim....in theory I should LOVE that game..what isnt there to love? hours upon hours of content and things to do..an amazing world ot explore...from a gameplay perepective its amazing right?

but all that simply doesnt matter..I can play for hours and have fun....but I just got bored, Imean level up and grind and all those other things in games...but theres just no motivation in skyrim , theres a story...but your encouraged to ignore it, it doenst draw you in

mabye Im a terribly uncreative person for not "making it up" myself..but yeah (and no this wasnt just to rant about skyrim...its just an example of how being an amazing "game" in of itself doesnt seem enough for me

3. multiplayer- thats just pure gameplay.....and I as I said before..play a few hours..get bored...move on, in fact the only multiplayer game to ever draw me in is ME3 (haha...yeah go figure)

4. cutscenes- I LIKE cutscenes, they are somthing to look forward too (not games that over do it though...*cough*yakuza*cough*) Saints row 2, Red dead redemption, Deus Ex..whatever you would call Mass effect...they all add somthing to the game (for me) and no..I dont get annoyed at them

5.. I enjoy games stories...somtimes more than the actual game itself (Dragon age) does that make be both a bad gamer AND a terrible judge at what makes a good story?

soo..yeah...mabye since my first leap into this current generation was playing Bioshock...it kind of set the standard of what want and enjoy in games (I played the whole thing on easy..ti was my first time playing a FPS)

EDIT: also..while I mentioned ME3 I havnt actually finished it..so no spoilers please..jsut in cae
No. Your not a bad gamer. Do you enjoy games? Have you ever spent so much time playing a game you realized you should of eaten a long time ago? Irregardless of genre. Ever get very immersed in a game? Ever have a game you loved playing? Answer yes to any of those then by my definition your a gamer. Doesn't matter if you breeze through a hard difficulty or struggle with it. I have never played zelda, mega man, half life, or quake or any of those "Classics". Never will because they are boring as hell to me. I still consider myself a gamer.

Simply don't over think it. Enjoy the game and have fun. Gamer is just a label. A word. Shouldn't affect your enjoyment of a game.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
So you like linear(ish) games. That doesn't make you a bad gamer, it makes you a gamer with a focus on one aspect, instead of spreading it around. That isn't necessarily bad, but you limit yourself with lack of determination really IMO. having a lot of different games to like is a pro, not a con, but to each his own.