Am I a Gamer?

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
If you want to be then sure. Gamer is a pointless label that is mostly used to try and exclude others and if you want to associate yourself with that then by all means do so.

I for one am simply a person who enjoys playing games.

Jun 11, 2008
Why are you actively trying to play games in your spare time and post on a gaming website if you're not a gamer?

The answer is obviously yes you are I don't understand why you are questioning this. It isn't really about any self identification if you gambler a lot in your spare time you're a gambler, if you go out of your way to listen to loss less music on high quality hardware you are an audiophile it doesn't whether you think you or not if you do that stuff.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
If you want to describe yourself as such.

I don't really call myself a gamer anymore.

Firstly because if I say it to other gamers, it's often met with the assumption that I played CoD this one time with my boyfriend. That gets old pretty quickly so now when I first meet new people, I generally don't admit that I play video games at all. I'll join in a conversation about games if people are having one but I won't exactly be forthcoming with the information.

Secondly, I'm kind of embarrassed to be associated with some of the people who champion the term gamer so, again, I tend not to use it in everyday situations.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Its like being a fan. If you say you are, then you are.

Only an asshole will tell you you're not.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Call yourself whatever you like.

Personally, I used to use that word to describe myself, but recently I find it doesn't hold the same appeal it used to.

More and more, I find it being used to gatekeep the hobby from those that are deemed 'unfit' to play for whatever reason, and I can't and won't get behind that.

I play games, I enjoy gaming and the industry as a whole and I want to see it grow, flourish and evolve over time.

But I am not a gamer.

I am not defined by my hobby, and I do not believe in tying my identity to that hobby.

Call yourself whatever you like.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
madwarper said:
Question #3) Ummm... What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European?

OT: It really depends. Do you enjoy playing video games even if it's just playing some Farmville every other day or so? Then congrats, you are a gamer.

People who try to determine what a "Real Gamer" is or those that use things like "Casual Gamer" as an insult are people who take their own hobby way too seriously.

liza01

Oct 10, 2014
Gamer -a person who plays a game or games, typically a participant in a computer or role-playing game.
so thats it! you've already answered from the very beginning. :). The moment you play you're already a gamer! :)

Hofstadter

Oct 30, 2014
No, first you have to hand in your official Gamer form in to your local games store. In two weeks you should have your starter kit, this will include a badge identifying yourself as a gamer, 10 dollar steam voucher and a list of common insults you can use online.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Teoes said:
Whilst the evidence provided would point to 'yes', all that could be undone by the simple admission that you also dabble in Farmville.
Crap. I played Castleville for a month or two. Am I doomed?

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]Do I need to state that I'm joking?[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
Not only do you need to state it, you probably have to do so in the biggest font possible.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
You are whatever you want to be. Forge your own labels Mareon! You spent 100 hours on The Last Of Us eh? I don't know of any casual, or non-gamer, who would have dedicated this much time a game. Of course you could just be a Gamster...that's a possibility.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I no longer identify myself as a gamer.

I am now far prouder to identify myself as "someone that thinks wrestling is real" and/or "someone that thinks the CIA is sending secret transmissions via their fillings".

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
It's really not worth thinking about. If you follow all this bullshit, it'll just make your blood pressure go up.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
If everyone who plays games is a gamer, then I have the following questions:

Is everyone who plays the piano a pianist?
Is everyone who trains boxing a boxer?
Is everyone who swims on a regular basis a swimmer?
Is everyone who writes reviews on the internet a reviewer?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
You're letting people who hate the hobby you associate with define the hobby you associate with bad people. Being a gamer isn't bad, nor is it what Tumblr, Fox, or MSNBC think it is. Love what you love, and be proud of it.