Am I being a stupid brat?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Its not often I do these kind of threads buuuuttt, here we go.

So I bought Bioshock 2 on the day of release for like £26, through Steam (it kicks ass in case you were wondering, not that you were because you've probably all played it).

Anyway one of my friends wants to download it from my Steam account and decided to log on and take it without asking, so I told him he couldn't so he didn't. Except not quite. When I went to bed he started downloading it again and thanks to his sucktakular internet connection he only got to 56% ish by the time I found out when I got in from school today.

We got into an arguement about it and he said that because I didn't want to give him another full price game through Steam (I have him Fear 2 on release and Dragon Age a few weeks ago) that I was being a brat who just didn't want to share my new toys. It should be noted that I only get games from him when he offers because I don't ask and he gave me Psychonauts, even though it was only £1 and his, and my, other friend let me download Portal from him when it was like £18. And that he never asks for these games, he just takes, except for Fear 2.

Anyway I thought I'd get some fresh perspective and would like you folks to tell me whether I'm being a brat or whether he's being unfair, if you'd be so kind.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I changed my password.

Also worth mentioning is that he doesn't consider this stealing. He used the analogy that I should 'share my chips' with him instead of throwing the rest away. Which I think means that as I've already paid for it so giving it to him will not inconvenience me and I should give it to him.. I really hate his analogies.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I guess it depends on your reason for not wanting him to download it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Disaster Button said:
Its not often I do these kind of threads buuuuttt, here we go.

So I bought Bioshock 2 on the day of release for like £26, through Steam (it kicks ass in case you were wondering, not that you were because you've probably all played it).

Anyway one of my friends wants to download it from my Steam account and decided to log on and take it without asking, so I told him he couldn't so he didn't. Except not quite. When I went to bed he started downloading it again and thanks to his sucktakular internet connection he only got to 56% ish by the time I found out when I got in from school today.

We got into an arguement about it and he said that because I didn't want to give him another full price game through Steam (I have him Fear 2 on release and Dragon Age a few weeks ago) that I was being a brat who just didn't want to share my new toys. It should be noted that I only get games from him when he offers because I don't ask and he gave me Psychonauts, even though it was only £1 and his, and my, other friend let me download Portal from him when it was like £18. And that he never asks for these games, he just takes, except for Fear 2.

Anyway I thought I'd get some fresh perspective and would like you folks to tell me whether I'm being a brat or whether he's being unfair, if you'd be so kind.
It's your games, you do what you want with them. He's the one being a brat who is essentially trying to steal from you. Change your Steam password and tell him to fuck off.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Not really. If he's getting full price games off you without giving you something every now and then, he's just taking advantage of you.

Maybe you should ask him if he wants to split the price with you?

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
You said no and he takes it like a little whining brat. You sir/lady/inanimate object, are not a brat and should either confront him with this or end your ties with him before he does something really stupid to you (which he probably will).

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
You bought it with your own money and he tried to take it without asking?

There's a word for that....

actually i think your friends being a dick.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
You sound fine.
The friend on the other hand... I wish to cause him harm, which means I do not like him.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Don't let other people push you into letting them download stuff from your account. Bad things can happen.

He shouldn't have went behind your back.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
While he probably doesn't think of it as stealing because you still get the game yourself, he IS actually ripping the game off, so that's wrong for starters. And if you say you don't want him to and he does it anyway, and then tries to make YOU feel bad about it when you catch him, well "brat" isn't a strong enough word to describe him. Try "complete and utter asshole". Make it clear to him that you won't stand for this kind of shit, and if he tries to make something of it, tell him to fuck off and never talk to him again.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I borrow games from my friends a lot too. but I wouldn't ask for it the day he got it, I would let him beat it, and then maybe borrow it. I think I only borrowed bioshock last summ- he's being a dick.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
khaimera said:
Well the reasonn was that I was sick of giving him full price games, when I get very little in return. Reinforcing my reason now is that he already went behind my back after he said he wouldn't.

Casual Shinji said:
Don't let other people push you into letting them download stuff from your account. Bad things can happen.
Its not quite that bad. We're friends so I don't mind him using my account to play old games that I got for cheapness or to repay him if he ever let me borrow one. But for the most part I didn't mind until now. Although I have changed the password.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Disaster Button said:
khaimera said:
Well the reasonn was that I was sick of giving him full price games, when I get very little in return. Reinforcing my reason now is that he already went behind my back after he said he wouldn't.

Casual Shinji said:
Its not quite that bad. We're friends so I don't mind him using my account to play old games that I got for cheapness or to repay him if he ever let me borrow one. But for the most part I didn't mind until now. Although I have changed the password.
Well then I agree with everyoen else. Nobody likes to feel used. He needs to hook it up now and again.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
Not really. If he's getting full price games off you without giving you something every now and then, he's just taking advantage of you.

Maybe you should ask him if he wants to split the price with you?
I would but he's kinda poor, which is another reason he says that I shouldn't mind giving them to him. Of course when I say poor, he just doesn't like to spend, he does have some money. But I'm not really comfortable with charging friends for some reason, although I'm not really comfortable giving hand outs either.

dark-amon

Aug 22, 2009
If you allready indicated that you did not wish him to download it from you and he did it anyway then it would be irrational to call you a brat for reacting against it in anegativ manor. Tell your friend to read the theory about 'bad faith' by Sartre. If he comprehends the theory he should realise that he is the one acting like a brat.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
YES YES YOU ARE!

*reads OP*

no youre not. he's just a cheap bastard trying to steal your games.

you paid for the game,you told him(a friend) he couldn't have it.
and he goes behind your back doing it anyway.
a friend would have respected your choice.

if he wants to eat your chips he can ''chip in'' aswell.