Am I dooming my future children?

Foxblade618

Apr 27, 2011
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Foxblade618 said:
ChaosDragon said:
Maes (i think pronounced "maze") is referring to Maes Hughes, the slain Brigadier from Full Metal Alchemist...

you and your wife ARE nerds...

and i fully support both names as 100% awesome
Yes! Awesome that you knew that
Hughes was awesome indeed. I think those are pretty cool names with no major teasing triggers. My son's name is Malcolm Flynn Hancock. I know he'll catch crap for our last name, since I have, but I think he's got a nice unique name that people should be able to figure out. However, we've already had people spell it Malcom for some reason. I have never seen that spelling in my life.
That spelling is, I think, the common way to spell that name when it is a last name. Such as Dr. Ian Malcom from JP- if memory serves

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
If this is a Fullmetal Alchemist reference, you have the full approval of a fifteen year old, and really, what matters more than that?

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Flizzick said:
Johnny Cash - "A Boy Named Sue"

legend of duty said:
well i want to name my daughter after a war pigeon so its not too weird for me! lol
Wouldn't happen to be Cher Ami would it? Only pigeon I've ever heard of with a name.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
Lyra is fine, but Maes sounds too much like May - a girl's name. I actually kinda like it (even though I don't get the reference), but it definitely sounds like something he'd be teased for for the first 15 or so years of his life.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
HumpinHop said:
Probably not. Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda, so Maes isn't horrific by comparison.

I plan to name my son after Deathwing, so in class he can say, "My name is Neltharion and MY HATRED BURNS THROUGH THE CAVERNOUS DEEPS"
the funny thing is neltharion would be a badass name

No your not ruining their futures they sound like good names

Jan 29, 2009
I don't mind unusual names, but mispronouncable names are annoying to have. My last name, for instance, is mispronounced every time. I know a few people in my class who are doomed to have similar first names.

Inquisitor Slayde

Jan 17, 2009
I think I can contribute to this discussion in a way few others can. My parents gave me a pretty unusual name. I'd rather not say what it actually is but it's a latin word that shows up in scifi writing fairly regularly.

I do not like it.

I won't bore you with a lot details, but nothing positive has ever come from it. Mostly I just have to correct people, repeat myself and spell it for them. Also, I'm really tired of the 'That's an unusual name!' conversation.

I have given serious thought to changing it but dispite how much I dislike it it is part of my identity now and I can not decide on a 'normal' name that I'd like to go by instead and doing so really is a lot of trouble to go through. I might still change it one day though.

I have never told my parents I wish they'd just given me a normal name and I probably never will.

So, from someone who has an unusual name, don't do it. Do not make your child carry that (admittedly fairly small) burden because you think it's cool.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Compared to some of the names I've heard in my time those names are fine. Really as long as the intentions behind the naming are pure and it won't result in a child getting ridiculed then name your kid whatever you want.

Personally I've always felt that when I have kids I'd like a son named Gordon and a daughter named Alice.

Foxblade618

Apr 27, 2011
Inquisitor Slayde said:
I think I can contribute to this discussion in a way few others can. My parents gave me a pretty unusual name. I'd rather not say what it actually is but it's a latin word that shows up in scifi writing fairly regularly.

I do not like it.

I won't bore you with a lot details, but nothing positive has ever come from it. Mostly I just have to correct people, repeat myself and spell it for them. Also, I'm really tired of the 'That's an unusual name!' conversation.

I have given serious thought to changing it but dispite how much I dislike it it is part of my identity now and I can not decide on a 'normal' name that I'd like to go by instead and doing so really is a lot of trouble to go through. I might still change it one day though.

I have never told my parents I wish they'd just given me a normal name and I probably never will.

So, from someone who has an unusual name, don't do it. Do not make your child carry that (admittedly fairly small) burden because you think it's cool.
I appreciate your insight on this topic. I have a mildly unique name myself, and did not have the same problems as you, but then again, my name is not so different that I am the only one with it-not by a long shot actually. Though, are our proposed names THAT unusual? I don't really think so (Lyra certainly isn't that weird and will happen regardless, as that character has great personal meaning to the both of us), but I can see the potential problems with Maes

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Speaking as someone with an unusal name, it's not too hard. Yes, kids are asshats and they be cruel, but you grow up and learn to be above it.

My name is Adelaide, my brother's name was going to be Bede (pronounced Bead) and you learn.

Foxblade618

Apr 27, 2011
Arontala said:
I highly doubt that the names " Maes " and " Lyra " equate to having a latin word as a name.

OT: I like them, but it would be wise to not base naming your children on the opinions of people on the interwebz.
Noted, nor was that my intention, just trying to get a broad stroke of opinions on the topic and will most likely decide on these names regardless of what anyone says, but it never hurts to take the temperature of the water.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
My wife and I have discussed this many times, we're both nerds and plan on having a theme for our kids. We both are fans of Mortal Kombat, so if it's a girl maybe Mileena or Sonya and if it's a boy, we're thinking Scorpion or Shao Khan!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The name Lyra is nice, i quite like that one, although she could end up being called lycra depending on what her future hobbies are, but i would stick with the name Lyra.
The name Maes is okay, but i think there is a better one to be had, but it's still quite a good name.
And remember, kids will draw on anything they can to make a joke, for example 'get em' lennie' was made by someone in my school to a person named lennie.
It was from 'Of Mice & Men'.
THat suprised me because of who it came from.

Shikua

Dec 7, 2010
Listen, foxblade, these names are fine. I have the completely ordinary name of Alex, but I was named after Worf's son from TNG, so I have my nerdy name. You want odd names though? My cousin named her sons "John Basil Blues" and "Archer Phillip Sunshine". I shit you not. There are no shits to be had here. These are odd names. Lyra is completely fine and I am baffled at how people can manage to mis-pronounce Maes.

Grafin Drachen

Jun 20, 2010
I personally like the unique names. It gives them a chance to stand out in a crowed unlike when someone yells "Brittany" or "Matthew" and 10 heads pop up (In my grade 8 class, there where 6 Brittany's and 3 Matthew's...) So I say go for it.

Sure some people pick some very, very strange names, but as long as you DO put some thought into what could be a potential for easy harassment, all should be good to go. As many have mentioned, if kid's are determined, ANY name can be turned into a nasty slur. Lyra kind of reminds me of Laura, but different enough to stand out. Maes does sound awfully close to Maise, the French word for corn, but it's got a distinctive ring to it. I suppose it also depends on what you've given as a middle name(s) if any. Initials count too Mine are NHL, so I got a bit lucky there being a hockey fan! Someone in my family is Mychelle Linn, and my sister's best friend is Acasa Beers (No middle name)....

IF I ever where to bear children, my now ex and I had discussed names and some we came up with where unique in there own way, but depending on context could be warped. I prefer odd spellings of anything, but combine the two and you can get some really odd ones. Here's a list of some of the better ones we had (That I can remember). We tried to have some unique spelling, but we tried to keep it tame as if we had kids, they would be able to pronounce/spell them at some point before schooling. We also tried to go a bit semi-normal with some so that the kid would not be "too odd".

Boys:
Archturis Desmond or Desmond Archturuis, Kurda Joseph, Dakota Meyles (May-ells),

Girls:
Evanna Ane-Mayre, Tabitha Makenzie, Hecayte Jennifer or Jennifer Hecayte and Helaina Morigan.

Besides, it's also a big trend now, in recent years, it seems a lot of parents are opting for some less-traditional names, and it's not just whacked-out celebs..

Tich

Aug 13, 2008
If I have a daughter, I'd name her Amelia, like a name in a fairy tale.

But something normal, yet special. Why try to reinvent the wheel when so many cool names already exist.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
You'd be surprised at how uncommon names don't actually provoke that much taunting. I myself have a relatively uncommon name (though not THAT rare). I got made fun of it for other reasons, unrelated to its rarity. But even still, I'm not scarred or screwed up or something for having an uncommon name by any means.

If anything, it helps reinforce a positive sense of uniqueness in a person.