Am I Going to Die?

scoHish

Mar 27, 2008
A few buddies and I were talking the other day and one of the things we brought up was whether or not any of us had ever had an experience in which we seriously thought we were going to die...So I pose the same question to all of you. Have you ever had an experience where you honestly thought you were about to head into the great abyss?

In short, when I was a kid, I swam as far as i could into the Gulf with a buddy of mine. We ended up being pulled out by the current and couldn't get back to shore. After floating there for however long, I honestly thought I was going to die, until we got picked up by a few tourists in a raft. Your turn ladies and gents...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I was kayaking in Bala Lake (North Wales) about 4/5 years ago, capsized and paniced. I couldn't get out of the kayak and thought I was going to drown. I'm lucky enough that I can talk about it now but it was scary at the time...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Optimus Prime said:
Once I was incredibly out of my mind (that half awake, half asleep state) and I truly believed I was going to be killed by a monkey who had a Halo gun (don't ask me why). However it was the scariest experience of my life.
I'm asking...

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I was stuck in the mountains during a giant thunder storm once. In retrospect hiding under a tree was a bad move. I waited out the storm uninjured but at the time I thought that I was going to die.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
I got stung by a Jellyfish in Egypt.

Doe'snt sound spectacular, but it was on my genitals.
That was THE MOST PAINFUL THING IN THE WORLD.

Terror_666

Jan 7, 2009
I have a fear of heights and as one these stupid stupid stupid face your fear and you will overcome it someone talked me into doing a bungie jump. I barely survived because if I had fallen any longer I am sure I would have had a heart attack at the age of 20.

Edit: O yes, No it didn't help. It made it worse.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
When I dream they always finish at the point just before I die (or incapacitate or mortally wound or whatever) myself.
When I was a little kid I spilt a mug of boiling hot water over myself. That hurt, but the point at which I thought i was going to die was when my parents where showering me with cold water later. (I hated using showers) I was however a little bit young to be considering death...

kdragon1010

Jan 17, 2009
Actually there are quite a few variety of jellyfish that can easily kill you. Weather strait with thier venom or paralyzing you and drowning.

Working to load heavy equipment onto a train while tying down a spanner someone wasn't doing thier job and had a forklift start moving across it. The spanner bounced and came half an inch from falling on my head followed by the right front tire of a 3 ton forklift.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
I got swept down river once while trying to cross it using a rope that connected to both sides. The rope snapped. The current was really strong, and I got swept downstream for about half an hour. I truly thought I was going to die. Eventually some kayakers found me and brought me back to shore, but I had somehow broken my ankle, so they got a helicopter to get me out. That was terrifying, to say the least.

fullmetalangel said:
I once went to the ER because I had a fever of 42C degrees. That's pretty close to dying I suppose.

edit: That's 107F for those of you who use Fahrenheit... Down with Fahrenheit, it makes no
sense.
Fahrenheit is Satan. Trust me, I'd know.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
When I was 5, I fell off of a playground backwards and split the skin on my head open.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Began bleeding out my ass, passed out from loss of blood, finally came to and had to crawl down stairs to get to a phone to call 911.

Ever heard of Meckel's Diverticulitis? Neither did I, until it almost killed me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckel's_diverticulum
Turns out it only affects 2% of the population, and only 2% of THOSE people have the problems I do. Hooray.

But, after a quick operation, I'm fine.

EDIT: Copy and paste the webaddress...for some reason it doesn't like the ' in there.

StarkRavingSane

Mar 4, 2008
2 months back I had that ultrasonography thing due to a minor infection, more or less as serious as the common cold. The doctor had a look at my liver as well and found something she said could've been cancer. After almost a month of examinations and 2 weeks in hospital it turned out it was just some common tissue alteration that did not even require any medical whatsits. A few weeks I don't want to go through ever again.

It did however change my attitude to life somewhat. Less reserved and more active.

Armada651

Jan 2, 2008
When I was riding my mountain bike down a mountain and my front tire popped right before a sharp turn. It caused my back tire to lift off the ground and if I hadn't reacted by letting go of the front brake and put all my weight on the back tire, I would've fallen down a cliff to certain death. It wasn't long enough to think about death, but fear sure was there.

Mr. Moose

Oct 3, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
I once went to the ER because I had a fever of 42C. That's pretty close to dying I suppose.

edit: That's 107F for those of you who use Fahrenheit... Down with Fahrenheit, it makes no sense.
Uh.
Not to get off topic but, Fahrenheit makes no sense?
Since when?

It makes more sense to say 0 Degrees is 0 Degrees and go from there, unlike Celcius which makes 100 degrees be like 40.

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
On a cargo plane flying into deleted-istan we were warned that the pilots sometimes took small arms or rocket fire when they made their final approach to the airstrip. I fell asleep anyway. At some point the plane hit some turbulence and lurched, waking me up. I'm not very sharp when I wake up, so the first thing that crossed my mind was that we'd taken a hit and were headed for a horrible death.
In about two seconds, which seemed to last a week, I was wide awake and realized everything was fine. I remember being deeply grateful not to have pissed myself.