Am I the obly one who thinks Skyrim should have V.A.T.S.?

Zenkem

May 3, 2009
This is an old topic, but I just got Skyrim and repeatedly found myself looking for VATS. I used to think this topic was silly, but Elder Scrolls and Fallout series have come so close that it definately wouldn't take a long leap to apply the aiming system too.

What I find strangest is that Skyrim seems LESS violent than Fallout. While bullets ripped off entire limbs with seemingly no resistance, with swords and axes there would actually be a good reason to see the spectacular showers of gore. Naturally that would be the only reason to have VATS, without limb damage there would be no point in breaking the flow for it.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I prefer turn-based mechanics in RPGs, since it removes some of the player skill from the actions, and put more focus on character attributes. VATS was a decent attempt at porting turn-based mechanics into a 3D environment. I can see a variation of that working in Elder Scrolls games. As some have already mentioned something similar actually is in Skyrim with the slow-motion mode of the archer tree.

Zenkem said:
This is an old topic, but I just got Skyrim and repeatedly found myself looking for VATS. I used to think this topic was silly, but Elder Scrolls and Fallout series have come so close that it definately wouldn't take a long leap to apply the aiming system too.

What I find strangest is that Skyrim seems LESS violent than Fallout. While bullets ripped off entire limbs with seemingly no resistance, with swords and axes there would actually be a good reason to see the spectacular showers of gore. Naturally that would be the only reason to have VATS, without limb damage there would be no point in breaking the flow for it.
Well the Fallout series and it's predecessor Wasteland have a tradition for exaggerated violence. It wouldn't feel right unless limbs fly off, heads explode and bodies vaporize. The TES series is more about traditional clean fantasy combat.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Maybe as a 'Focus Energy' (or something) shout. Pauses combat, you can look around, assess the situation,, and then target different body part and string together attacks. First level 2 actions, second level 3, third level 4?

Example: Use shout, time freezes. Select attacking bandits sword arm, then legs, then another bandits chest and head. Game takes over, you chop off the bandit's arm, sweep his legs, then charge the other and perform an amateur open heart surgery with your Greatsword.

And example of using it with a bow could be to target charging enemy arms or legs to disarm or cripple them.

...this idea got a lot stupider as I typed it out, but I'll be damned if I wasted two minutes of my life on nothing.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
It doesn't really fit in the game although vats aside I didn't realise how much the pip boy added to the immersion until I didn't have it...

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
There's already a Slow Time shout, isn't that enough?

and while Skyrim doesn't need a VATS system, it could use a better blood and gore system, which will probably get modded in at some point.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
neonknight said:
Honestly? I never enjoyed the vats system. I rarely used it and don't think it adds to a game. There are other systems like this (See the splinter cell convictions executions) That I think work better. I loved every other bit of fallout 3/NV but I did not feel VATS was a necessary feature.
Are you serious? Mark & Execute was a piece of crap. With one hand-to-hand kill you were guaranteed two to four more kills at the press of one button. At least with V.A.T.S. you have a chance of missing, with Mark & Execute you have no chance of failure even if an enemy moves behind a wall during the Execution sequence.

neonknight

Nov 14, 2011
Yes but the problem with VATS was that using VATS was exactly the same as actually attacking only in slow motion. this was specifically shown in the melee weapons where there was no difference. I liked the mark and execute system as if you were being overwhelmed or to thin the hordes of horrendous henchman to allow more versatile options it worked. It may require restraint admittedly to not use it as a default but I felt it worked relatively well.