Am I the only one that didn't like Dragon Age?

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
Glademaster said:
Mr. Blik said:
I could give a whole thing about what I thought was wrong and how it just didn't come together, but it would be very generic.

BOTTOM LINE: I didn't think it was a good game.
You now have two choices:
Agree-Say what you didn't like about it or why it didn't DO IT for you.
Disagree-Prove me wrong.

I've played through its(LONG) entirety albeit not every class or race.
Actually you forgot about a third option of completely dismissing the thread. It's not like there are loads of threads that have I am only that didn't like X.

OT: I haven't played it so I wouldn't know really what's wrong with it if anything.
That's interesting, you bash the thread, you bash me for posting it, you bash me for posting in a place where anyone can post what they like within reason, and yet, you still post and contribute. yeah, lots of logic there.

other than that, thank you for the input.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Klepa said:
You level in a planet suspended in a 'physical version' of the Twisting Nether, but the actual Twisting Nether is different. Lookie. [http://www.wowwiki.com/Twisting_Nether]

But yeah, most fantasy games (most. Most.) do copy elements of older games. I just noticed these things in Dragon Age really easily, which is unusual for me. I'm not particularly observant. But it might just be because of my worryingly-high amount of knowledge of the lore for Warcraft.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
The Madman said:
I loved it for the simple reason that it hearkened back to the golden age of PC rpg: The Baldur's Gates, the Icewind Dales, Fallouts and Planescapes... Damn good times indeed, and in my opinion still the best time to have been a PC gamer.

It wasn't a perfect game, it certainly had its flaws. But damn it all it was a modern rpg done in the classic style, and that made me happy. The characters were interesting if not always particularly memorable, and the gameplay entertaining. But most of all there was the interactions; good ol' fashioned party interaction where characters would agree and disagree, comment on the situations, and generally act like real characters as opposed to simply NPC companions.

One of the things that irritates me with most modern Bioware games is how the characters simply follow you blindly as you no doubt complete some mission for them. Screw that, I want 'conflict'. I want scenario like in Baldur's Gate where Edwin and Minsc would try to kill each other. Where Jaheira and Khalid would come to blows with Xan and Montaron because they just outright hated one another. Or Kheldorn simply being unable to get past his bias, despite being a good guy otherwise, and refusing to allow Viconia to accompany you.

Dragon Age had some of that. Not as much as I would have liked, but it did. And that's part of what I seek in an rpg. I like playing the mediator, watching different personality bounce off one another and trying to react in such a way I figure my character would. You know: Role Playing.

Of course that's just my opinion. Shockingly enough we've all got one!

Thank you for your input, seriously, this is what I was looking for, not some stupid rant about how retarded my question was.

And on a side note debate involves give as well as take. A balance between the two, where both sides either reach a compromise or one side concedes to the other. That very, very, very rarely happens online. And I certainly don't see any of that here. Nevertheless, there are my thoughts.

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
I didn't enjoy it because it didn't let each click equal one sword swing. I know it's a game where you control a party, but it could easily auto-control those friendlies while you controlled your own character. People will disagree with my opinion, but that's just fine.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
FieryTrainwreck said:
Darth_Dude said:
Does EVERY game have to have original ideas?
I'm... wow... really?

The OP phrased his "challenge" with tongue firmly planted in cheek, so I don't know why everyone is so aggressive and combative in their responses. Wait, yes I do know why. It's the internet, and people pounce on anyone for saying anything ever. I try not to even start threads on this forum anymore because people actively misconstrue things, even in the presence of plain language, for the express purpose of picking a fight or acting the contrarian. It's pathetic.

"OMG, that's like your opinion, dude!!!" No shit. He's assigning value to a piece of entertainment media. When has that ever not been an opinion? Why does it even need to be labeled as such? Are people worried someone might confuse his statements for fact? Really, there's no reason to say this EVER in threads of this nature.

"FFS, bro, of course you're not the only one, you arrogant douche!!!" No shit. Ever heard of hyperbole? You think he's honestly worried that no one else dislikes the game as he does? You think he's genuinely concerned that he's all alone in his views? He's expressing his suspicion that he might be in the vast minority when it comes to his appraisal of this game.

It's a thread asking people both supporters and haters to provide reasons why this game did and did not work for them, respectively. If you don't want to participate, don't reply and the thread will fall off the front page. If you're still interested in this game and want to discuss or debate its merits, do reply. Pretty fucking simple.

My take on DA:O? Didn't do it for me. Way too safe - cliches abound, from characters to settings to dialogue. The combat was repetitive, and the game felt restrictive. More than anything, it wasn't fun for me.

All of this, incidentally, is my opinion. I wouldn't want anyone to confuse me for God, whose opinions are facts.
Thank you for being alive. I'm glad SOMEBODY caught the dry sarcasm.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
cookieXkiller said:
Aby_Z said:
ITT: Opinions!

Why the hell should I prove you wrong? You're entitled to your opinion. You don't like the game? It doesn't stand up to the personal taste you've developed. What, would you like a cookie?

And no, you are never the only one. Why must everyone start so many threads like this? It's pissing me off...
and we have a winner... best comment i have seen all day
also yes you are entitled to you opinion but there will always be other who will want to argue with it
That is the whole point to argument. I meant to spark debate. And most of the time, the way people spark debate, is by stating an opinion. OF COURSE I'm entitled to my opinion, that's why I stated it. But I also enjoy stimulating conversation on multiple sides of a subject. CHOOSE whatever side you like, I'll even play devils advocate, the whole point of starting this was to see what other people though and to look at this game from a different angle. Instead, I get a bunch of ignorant fools saying one of multiple things, either it's my first opinion, or you don't have to prove anything, or that I know I'm not the only one, christ. OK, so I worded it wrong, I'm sorry you take every word LITERALLY and talk like there is a stick shoved up your arse.

Also, I am though genuinely sorry for not providing ground for my own argument. Didn't think about it till now....damn.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
If you want someone to prove you wrong, you could develop an arguement as to why the game was bad in the first place.

Asking "Am I the only one" is one of the few dumb questions; why not go with "What is the appeal of Dragon Age" then debate it. The way you stated it was obnoxious and fairly immature. If you want an arguement, then formulate one so people can rebuttle.

To answer your question, I did not like Dragon Age. The Combat was rather bland, the story was boring and too padded down. The UI was poorly done, the classes and specs were too bland and didnt let you customize your character to a degree that fit an "open world, free game". And it was linear. Just like all other BioWare games, it was stuffed too far up its own ass.

MadPetOwner

Jun 19, 2010
I liked that game. It wasn't extraordinary in any way, but it was entertaining and I had a good time playing it. And in my opinion that's what a game should do.

And yes, it was VERY generic. Anybody who has ever read a fantasy novel can see that. It was about as original as eating soup with a spoon, not a fork. Everyone does it, for a reason: It works. People always nag on stuff that isn't "original" enough, but most of the time it's not about being unoriginal. It's about knowing a genre, and good and solid approach to said genre.

sofrekinbored

Mar 10, 2010
I hated it it was just plain boring and no one probably cares what people say if the gameplay is terrible.I also dont like anything by bioware

Jun 11, 2008
Mr. Blik said:
Glademaster said:
Mr. Blik said:
I could give a whole thing about what I thought was wrong and how it just didn't come together, but it would be very generic.

BOTTOM LINE: I didn't think it was a good game.
You now have two choices:
Agree-Say what you didn't like about it or why it didn't DO IT for you.
Disagree-Prove me wrong.

I've played through its(LONG) entirety albeit not every class or race.
Actually you forgot about a third option of completely dismissing the thread. It's not like there are loads of threads that have I am only that didn't like X.

OT: I haven't played it so I wouldn't know really what's wrong with it if anything.
That's interesting, you bash the thread, you bash me for posting it, you bash me for posting in a place where anyone can post what they like within reason, and yet, you still post and contribute. yeah, lots of logic there.

other than that, thank you for the input.
I am just saying there is always a third option trust me after awhile you do get sick of these threads popping up and yes fair enough you are free to post whatever you want and I won't stop you. By the same right I can post whatever I want(well always whatever within reason) also I don't see the point in posting unless you are going to contirbute something to the discussion. I know you have obviously been here for a bit but don't seem to be to active given post count.

I know I was openly negative but these threads do tend to be quite samey. If you were doing a thread like this again I would like a rant or something like a wall of text to go with it so I can actually see what you thought went wrong with the game to add a bit more discussion as that was the bit that kinda got me the most about it.

ninja oracle 11

Jun 25, 2010
i agree with glade master that having something more to talk about than how good something is (like your more specific opinions)would help make these more interesting but im relativley new to this site and style of conversation (im not sure what else to call it)so dont quote me on that. now when it comes to dragon age i liked the game but it didnt manage to maintain my interest see i love bioware they are one of my favourite game makers but dragon age failed to stand up to the expectations that i had for the company wich kinda killed it for me.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
ninja oracle 11 said:
im relativley new to this site and style of conversation
Judging from this thread, it's fairly standard practice to leap down the throat of anyone who starts a post without incessantly tailoring his language to any potential dissenters with such phrases as "in my opinion" and "with all due respect to everyone who disagrees with me" and even "WARNING: the following post contains literary devices, such as hyperbole, to enliven the writing. Take precaution such that your panties do not bunch."

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
FieryTrainwreck said:
ninja oracle 11 said:
im relativley new to this site and style of conversation
Judging from this thread, it's fairly standard practice to leap down the throat of anyone who starts a post without incessantly tailoring his language to any potential dissenters with such phrases as "in my opinion" and "with all due respect to everyone who disagrees with me" and even "WARNING: the following post contains literary devices, such as hyperbole, to enliven the writing. Take precaution such that your panties do not bunch."
I appreciate your knowledge of composition. People here take things so literally, and I understand that it is the internet and that its hard for some people to pick out emotion from words, but then again, not everyone is that well versed.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
I;m not going to try to "prove you wrong." Opinions can't be wrong, however, the idea and logic they came from can be. Besides, you really didn't say why you hated, just that you did. I love Dragon Age, it's one of the best games I've ever played. I love RPGs so that could be part of why I like DA so much.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I like how my choice is to agree or disprove the validty of the OP's opinion.

The best part is how his opinion was simply "I didn't like it". That leaves me with the one option of agreeing, and since I cannot do that, I won't contribute further.

FieryTrainwreck said:
I'm... wow... really?

The OP phrased his "challenge" with tongue firmly planted in cheek, so I don't know why everyone is so aggressive and combative in their responses. Wait, yes I do know why. It's the internet, and people pounce on anyone for saying anything ever. I try not to even start threads on this forum anymore because people actively misconstrue things, even in the presence of plain language, for the express purpose of picking a fight or acting the contrarian. It's pathetic.
The "plain language" I was presented with asserted the game "didn't come together" and I was handed two ideal roads of discussion. I could agree with his assertion (that is, that he didn't like the game) or I could disagree and attempt to prove him wrong. The trouble is, he offered no reason as to why it didn't come together. Just as important, even if I disgree with what he says, it does nothting to invalidate his experience.

In short, he asked a question with no correct answer and didn't even give me the courtesy of an explanation. Poor rhetoric, poor thread material and worthy of no more effort than what you see above. You on the other hand have made an effort to present an argument that might go somewhere.

FieryTrainwreck said:
"OMG, that's like your opinion, dude!!!" No shit. He's assigning value to a piece of entertainment media. When has that ever not been an opinion? Why does it even need to be labeled as such? Are people worried someone might confuse his statements for fact? Really, there's no reason to say this EVER in threads of this nature.
You see the problem I guess. He has given an opinion yet has not offered support. Why would you expect reasonable discussion to sprout from such feeble seeds?

FieryTrainwreck said:
"FFS, bro, of course you're not the only one, you arrogant douche!!!" No shit. Ever heard of hyperbole? You think he's honestly worried that no one else dislikes the game as he does? You think he's genuinely concerned that he's all alone in his views? He's expressing his suspicion that he might be in the vast minority when it comes to his appraisal of this game.
I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, but with billions of people in the world and millions of copies of the game sold, it's relatively safe to assume you aren't the only one. Indeed, you'd be hard pressed to be the only one that thought/did/said anything.

FieryTrainwreck said:
It's a thread asking people both supporters and haters to provide reasons why this game did and did not work for them, respectively. If you don't want to participate, don't reply and the thread will fall off the front page. If you're still interested in this game and want to discuss or debate its merits, do reply. Pretty fucking simple.
I enjoyed the game. The OP did not. He offered only a nebulous reason as to why he didn't like the game. I enjoyed the combat systems, the characters and felt the story was functional enough to keep me playing.

FieryTrainwreck said:
My take on DA:O? Didn't do it for me. Way too safe - cliches abound, from characters to settings to dialogue. The combat was repetitive, and the game felt restrictive. More than anything, it wasn't fun for me.
And I find these to be valid concerns. It is a stock standard fantasy world with a standard fantasy plot. The combat eventually became dull. Once I found that there was a dedicated healer as a party member, realized the game played using standard MMO conventions and figured out what the different classes were really useful for, combat did get a bit samey. As far as being "open" or not, it seemed as open as games of it's style (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale).

It reminds me of all the silliness regarding Alpha Protocol really. I enjoyed the game in spite of (and often because of) it's flaws. I don't ignore the fact that they exist nor do I begrudge someone for holding a different opinion. Dragon Age was easily my favorite game last year and yet I can understand that someone doesn't like it. That said, if someone doesn't actually tell me WHY they don't like it, them I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason to give a serious response.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
I like how my choice is to agree or disprove the validty of the OP's opinion.
SNIP
First of all, thank you. You have condensed all the arguments made against me into one post I can respond to. I will do so in order that you have provided.

Firstly I must(once again) establish that even though I used(very) incorrect terminology in wording both the title and the options, it does not mean that this is not debatable. I have set an opinion, and even though I have provided set up, this doesn't mean you cannot attack it. The basic idea of me not liking it is ground enough for you to attack my stance. I must also establish that rather than argue, I meant for simple discussion of the subject, so that I could see multiple angles. I provided a field on which it was an OPEN FORUM, which I believe this is. Although the direct terminology of my wording would direct you to disprove the validity of my opinion like you say, that does not mean that its direct wording was my first intention. Words written in ways can be interpreted differently, and it would be incredibly naive to read it once and determine that its denotation is the only thing I meant.

I would like to believe that I am an open person, and in being so, I would like to hear other opinions. Mine are not ones that are set in stone, and although I may have had a bad first impression, the opinions of others and experiences of others, may cause me to look back and reconsider what I believe to either be flaws or shortcomings.

I will agree that I gave no ground, and for this I apologize truly, but now it seems to be pointless as this is not longer the crux of the debate here.

My title "Am I the only one..." title is also NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY. As stated above it is somewhat of hyperbole. Of course I know I'm not the only one. However, it did it's job as an advertising title to lure people to comment. I would call it a success.

Your second to last assertion was basically what I was looking for all along.

Your last comment is of the most worth. Especially where you say you liked the game in spite of its flaws. This is the kind of thing that would cause me to go back, take a second look with this insight in mind and see if that at all changed my entire opinion of the game entirely.

Indiscrimi

Apr 2, 2008
I think it really comes down to whether you played Bioware's earlier games and are in it for the nostalgia. I only got started on Bioware games with Mass Effect and just couldn't get into the un-immersive combat system of Dragon Age. I also felt that it was a rip-off of Tolkien's work. (I have encountered others who disagree with me on the second point. As of yet, they have not convinced me.)