Am i the only one who can't stand fighting games.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
SonicKoala said:
You should know that's a traditional response on the escapist. I see it the same as warning newcomers to stay out of the basement. Of course it's not worth posting if that's all you have to say, they should at least contribute to the thread.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SonicKoala said:
Fappy said:
Yes you are the only one in the whole world. These threads will never stop appearing will they?
Crono1973 said:
You are never the only one.
DeadSp8s said:
Nah, you're never the ONLY one.
TehCookie said:
YOU ARE NEVER THE ONLY ONE!
When someone asks "Am I the only one...", it is a fucking expression. Have you ever heard someone say, out of frustration, something along the lines of "this is so difficult, I think I'm going to kill myself." Have any of you then gone up to that person and said "HEY, DON'T KILL YOURSELF, THAT'S A BAD IDEA!" No, of course you haven't, because that would be retarded. What about when somebody really wants something, and they say "I would give anything to have that" - do you really think these people would be willing to give anything? No, of course they wouldn't; everyone who has ever heard that expression knows that, but we don't bother being pedantic and pointing that out, because we are aware of that fact that they are purposefully speaking in a figurative manner for the sake of emphasis.

Likewise, when someone uses the "Am I the only one..." as a means of emphasizing a particular sentiment, responding with "of course you aren't the only one" is both pointless and redundant. Of course they aren't the only one - they already know that. All they are saying is that, from their perspective, they have a particular belief or viewpoint which seems to be shared by virtually nobody they themselves know. It is this feeling which prompts the use of the phrase "Am I the only one..."

So, next time you see a thread like this, actually think before you post something like "you are never the only one", and consider whether or not that is really worth posting. As a side note, my apologies to those of you whose posts I edited. I'm aware that some of you posted something more substantial than what I quoted.
You've missed the point entirely. The reason threads like this get those responses is because that particular expression is used in every other thread title. People are not annoyed with the expression, they are annoyed with its abuse and abundance. On this site it is particularly abused.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I had some fun with Soul Calibur IV, but in general I'm not a fan of fighting games either. Gets a bit too repetative for my taste.

brb, gotta go grind the same mobs in LOTRO for a few hours.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I like fighting games, but between my finger dexterity and the semi-crooked way I hold the controller, stringing together combos and consistently performing any motion more complicated than a QCF are very hard for me, no matter how much I practice (and I do actually practice in practice mode).

I also play fighting games more for goofing around and fighting in ways that amuse me rather than perfecting one team or combo. That's why I got sick of MvC3 is because I liked to go online and mess with Dormammu's spells or She Hulk's grapples or something new to try out and I'd fight so so many teams of Akuma/Wolverine/Dante and I'd inevitably be hit by Akuma's spinning kick to Super Hadouken whatever and get wrecked. I know, I lose because I'm not good, but most people I play with in real life play games in a manner similar to mine, but none of them like fighting games, so I'm stuck with online people who I do not enjoy fighting.

In all honesty, my favorite fighting game is SSBB because I don't have to worry about input error because there aren't really combos and doing specials is idiotproof. I'm a big fan of items and weird stages because they mix up gameplay and add for more outcomes and general fun, even if it does make the game less dependent on skill.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
While there's nothing wrong with having likes and dislikes, you cant real fault a genre because you cant be bothered learning how to play it.

Fighting games like most coin op arcade genres is a high level skill based game where the fun is in challenging yourself and other gamers.

Also try Tekken as you can have fun with it without having to learn much of the game, its popular with all my more casual gamer friends. Tatsunoku vs capcom is very noob friendly

3d fighters tend to be more pick up an play than 2D fighters and SSF4 which is a 2D FTG in 3D clothes.

EDIT
Also if you want easy and accessable play street fighter 2 or earlier titles in any of the main fighting series just because skilled based genres that are made for the hardcore tend to get more complex as the years go by.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
My opinion on Fighting games is similar to the one I have on MMORPGs. The basic idea I have no problem with but certain conventions about what those games should be like I dislike. Of course, I'm not allowed to complain about those because the fanbase of the genres will claim changing it will mean it's no longer a Fighting game/MMORPG.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
NEVER.

I have yet to play SCV but Mortal Kombat 2011 is incredibly easy to pick up, Seriously most special moves are two directions and a face button, i.e back back square.

Combos are pretty similar too, you get longer combos by juggling combining Combos and special moves.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Fappy said:
Yes you are the only one in the whole world. These threads will never stop appearing will they?
Nope. Not until these bastards stop daring to have different opinions.
I mean, the cheek of it.

SonicKoala said:
So, next time you see a thread like this, actually think before you post something like "you are never the only one", and consider whether or not that is really worth posting.
I'll do that if the people that keep making these threads do the same.
Deal?

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
It really depends on who I'm playing with I guess. I ~love~ playing fighting games with my brother because we're always evenly matched, both detest spamming, etc.

When playing with some of my friends, it ends up with them finding some kind of teleporting or ranged attack and spamming the crap out of it till I figure out how to counter it =/

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I admit I am not very good at them and while I occasional do play vs with friends for the most part I find fighting games boring. The storyline is non-existent and the dialogue resembles a bad Japanese anime.

Dec 14, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
krazykidd said:
Well doom's footdive is punishable as soon as you block it . He has two beams , a straight beam and a "finger" beam ( that does little damage ), and that molecular bullshit he does that serves little purpose i find . His assist is really good , but leaves him VERY vulnerable . Basically if you don't foot dive , you have to play keep away , but that results into spaming his beams . So unless you like beam spaming , foot dive is all he can really do .

Oh and for morrigan , she has air dash , soul fist and some shoryuken kinda move , just be creative with your dashing .oh and dash S Is your best friend .
Maybe playing Ammy at the time makes the foot dive harder to punish, she is pretty small. The guy I was playing against was foot dive spamming HARD though... Like instantly going into flight mode and foot diving then flight then foot dive etc etc. Like he didn't know how to start a combo unless it began with FOOT DIVE! No lasers or anything either. Usually I just block it then he tries something more close range and it goes from there. But no. He needs moar foot divez

I've decided to play Dante instead of Rocket Raccoon. His coolness is outmatched by his squishiness.

Totally not influenced by this video... Like at all

I kinda need someone with combat potential, good assists, decent health and someone who isn't on the villains side cuz PW would never work for the bad guys! Therefore Dante (probably should go Dormy but y'know evil and all that.)
I'm actually like that too.

I won't make teams that comprise of characters you'd never see working together.

Ammy would never work with the likes of Akuma, Dormmy, Wesker, Dr Doom or another good chunk of the cast.

Keeps things interesting.

X-23, Vergil and Ammy.

Bros fo life.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, well... ever since the first Street Fighter II, "linking attacks together" became a thing. That naturally evolved into combos. Juggling was another thing that, while I personally don't like it very much, somehow stuck and led to Eddy Gordo Juggaloos and plenty of derivatives of the very same - abusive - play style of mostly button-mashing on one hand, and smooth flow perfection on the other. Tekken eventually brought us 'chicken' and grappling combos, and it took almost a year to overcome my disgust at its ugliness before I found out that Tekken was really the best thing to happen to fighting games since IK+.

In direct comparison, Soul Edge/Calibur was a rather dumbed down version of "Tekken with weapons", more akin to the offerings from Sega and Tecmo, if I am not mistaken. But it still offered a decent, albeit different approach to reaching perfection and total control of the character, the play field, and quite possibly the enemy, no matter how strong or ludicrous.

And the bosses soon did become very strong and extremely ludicrous.

Back in the days, people would see their eyes twitch, their hair turn white or fall out or their brains spazzing out before they'd conquer that last bit. The modern approach is to 'turn down the difficulty'. This is dangerous, because it will, inevitably, lead to a lower frustration tolerance, and strengthen what's been described "short-term hedonism", which in turn will see 'gamers' confirm the prejudice of them being lazy bastards.

In love and fighting games, anything goes... as long as the underlying tech is solid.

What is the underlying tech? Schools and philosophies vary, to some extent. The basics are knowing the moves of any given character you want to play, including their range, area of impact (high/mid/low) and inherent dangers. Generally accepted are the notions that 'light' attacks are quick and do little damage (think jab), and 'heavy' attacks do significantly more damage, but they are slow. Handling a 'slow' heavy character comes at the cost of having to be quite pedantic about positioning and timing, for every mistake you make will make you lose if you're playing against someone who's not a random button masher.

That might or might not build up to an urge to learn all the moves of all characters. Knowing when moves are useful and when they turn into an obligation that will cost you dearly and will get you pummeled and juggled and humiliated is a basic necessity and key ingredient in any serious fighting game. It's really all about accepting the system of the game and spending some time practicing, finding a character that offers what best matches your play style. Once you're there, you can move on to other characters. If button mashing and amazement at the wonderful animations is what you're in for, then fighting games just aren't your thing... or just a chosen few ones are. It's no coincidence Shang Tsung and Mokujin offer the ability to access all the other characters moves, they basically offer proof that someone has the mechanics (and the moves) down, and they both allow to break any 1-combo-berserker or button mashing Eddy Gordo/Subzero/Scorpion player because they tend not to realize what's going on, not to adapt and not to know how to counter specific moves.

Someone mentioned Mortal Kombat 3, on the SNES even... back in the days, Mortal Kombat was different enough to stick out, but the basic fighting mechanics were generally quite crap, mainly because of odd lag issues that prevented button presses quickly translating into moves. What made (just about every) Mortal Kombat game fun was accepting its 'weaknesses' or oddities, and adapting to them - while still sitting down and learning its intricacies and trying to achieve a 100% hit rate with the finishing moves. The latest incarnation of Mortal Kombat skips a lot of the frustration by going for a Dr. Seuss approach. So everyone can access the finishing moves, but I and my folks somehow grew tired of bone-breaking intermissions after a week or two. There doesn't seem to be much between 'hard' games and games you snort like a line of brain-numbing happy powder. It's the wonderful duality of humans; it's how we roll. We're either nerds or animals.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
So you hate an entire genre because you are no good at it?
Ever heard of the saying "practice makes perfect"? Or do kids nowadays all want to be brilliant from the get-go and flee when faced with a challenge?
I'd rather not waste the twenty years it takes to master all the combos in the game. Also assuming that I'm a kid. I'm guessing you are just trying to pick a fight but it won't work.

Also its official that I lost every single level in single player and had to lower difficulty

Assuming its set to advanced because they guard break and counter like crazy

Also, any game that has a final boss that can do a attack that does 70% of your HP is crap.

I just got owned because the final boss can spam the same ultra move 3 times that kills me. Also unblockable.

Good think i only rented soul calibur. I beat the story but I realize that I don't like fighting games, they feel repetitive and boring.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Obligatory "You are NEVER the only one."

It's absolutely true that fighting games have a rather high fence for competence. I don't think Soul Calibur is one of those games. Someone already said that it's one of the least combo-oriented fighters out there. Fighting the AI almost never counts because they tend to cheat every now and then anyway.
Oh, and I just read your post about SC's final boss. They 99% of the time NEVER COUNT. They blatantly cheat and I would recommend that you don't you let them color your opinion on the genre. Just because one character is broken doesn't mean the entire roster is.

As for the buttons. Not sure about Soul Calibur, but BlazBlue lets you switch the listed buttons between ABCD and XYBA (on Xbox). Is it really hard to understand that one button does a kick and another does a cut in SC? You just have to take a little bit to study it. Not even an hour, really. Just long enough so that you know that one button means horizontal, one is kick, one is vertical, etc.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Adultism said:
The Cool Kid said:
So you hate an entire genre because you are no good at it?
Ever heard of the saying "practice makes perfect"? Or do kids nowadays all want to be brilliant from the get-go and flee when faced with a challenge?
I'd rather not waste the twenty years it takes to master all the combos in the game. Also assuming that I'm a kid. I'm guessing you are just trying to pick a fight but it won't work.

Also its official that I lost every single level in single player and had to lower difficulty

Assuming its set to advanced because they guard break and counter like crazy

Also, any game that has a final boss that can do a attack that does 70% of your HP is crap.

I just got owned because the final boss can spam the same ultra move 3 times that kills me. Also unblockable.

Good think i only rented soul calibur. I beat the story but I realize that I don't like fighting games, they feel repetitive and boring.
I think the problem here is that your expecting Namco to make quality fighters in this day and age :p

Disclaimer: Tekken is.... okay!

*Puts up flame shield*

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I love the new MK because I like the fighting mechanics, and quite enjoyed the "campaign".

I love SSFIV because it's a classic perfectly redesigned and updated.

I love UMVC3 because of the insane characters and combos.

But Lord, do I suck at all of them...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
No Yo uare not.
I hate fighting games, just aren't very fun in my opinion, Im more an explorey person, and small 2D sidecrolling arena's arent exactly ripe with secrets.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Adultism said:
Soul Calibur (unsure if i'm spelling that right) was one of my favorite fighting games. It was pretty easy to pick up, and even though the super moves useto be really hard to use. I could still easily win the fight without too much trouble. Now V has come along.

I know they offer a restart the match with a easier difficulty setting, which i have had to do for EVERY fight because it seems the enemies can link literally 15 attacks together when I can't even link more than two. They keep me on the floor, i can't get up OR block because they constantly attack until I am dead.

Which is what I hate about fighting games. NONE of them are easy. I'm not talking about easy to play, I mean easy to pick up. It takes hundreds of hours to master all the attacks and combos, even the simple ones. I'm sitting here going attack.....attack....attack, because i can't figure out how to attackattackattack. I don't know if anyone else has this problem because I do practice and I can never seem to nail the combos, or I miss but one move and it screws up the whole combo.

Does anyone else have this problem with games?

ALSO THE NAMES FOR THE BUTTONS, I HAVE TO SIT THERE FOR 20 MINUTES TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY K IS Y OR SOMETHING.
Obviously people have already brought up the Marvel vs Capcom series in which if you don't know a team that flows well with transitional combos you're proper fucked. However not all fighting games are hard to master.

Look at the Dead or Alive series. I actually liked these games because they were very simplified fighters...and because they have 16 year old kunoichi's with breasts that are almost genetically impossible for a young japanese girl to have. But seriously, DoA is pretty much nothing but Paper-Rock-Scissors with a pair of rockin' tits slapped onto it. Attack beats Throw, Throw beats Counter, Counter beats Attack. Yes, there are some characters that have super moves that require some complex button input to pull off, but it all boils down to the formula I just mentioned. Despite its simplicity, I think this actually makes the game a bit more reliant on skill than other fighters.

Yahtzee has a great quote regarding fighting games: "I just don't see the fun in playing a game where you can spend countless hours learning and memorizing every supermove and combo and yet still get your ass handed to you by someone who's just mashing random buttons." And that's true. Fighting games are the only games where you can actually win by just rubbing your palm across the buttons and waggling the thumb stick in random directions...which means that someone could hand their pet monkey the controler and likely win at least 50% of the time. :p

As for my MvC 3 ultimate team: I have yet to lose with Zero, Doom, and Amateras(spelling). When all else fails bust out Doom and spam PLASMA FUCKING BEAM!