Am I the only one who seems skeptical about the World of Darkness MMO

darkonxy

Sep 22, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1v3rONmizs

*raises hand

I know CCP is a well established company but I think they bitten more off than they can swallow.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Silence do not ruin my hopes. Also how the feth can you tell anything about the game when there's been barely a thing shown.

darkonxy

Sep 22, 2011
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/19/kindred-spirits-world-of-darkness/#more-74675
there I figured you'd know about that but hey since I have to bring everything to the table here fine.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
I think it's a stupid idea. A world full of vampires (named H4x0r and Überplaya) is not going to fly. You can do that in a World of Warcraft-style game, but ten noob-vampires sucking a single human victim dry in the streets of Chicago as a fetch quest creeps me out... Sequel to Bloodlines, as a single player game would be a much better choice. You could almost cram a co-op-option in there but never a MMO! Same thing happened with the Jedis :)

darkonxy

Sep 22, 2011
SFMB said:
I think it's a stupid idea. A world full of vampires (named H4x0r and Überplaya) is not going to fly. You can do that in a World of Warcraft-style game, but ten noob-vampires sucking a single human victim dry in the streets of Chicago as a fetch quest creeps me out... Sequel to Bloodlines, as a single player game would be a much better choice. You could almost cram a co-op-option in there but never a MMO! Same thing happened with the Jedis :)
Maybe its just me , but I prefer doing the Pencil and Paper version of this anyways, alot people don't realize how broken the old world of darkness system is until they've actually seen it for themselves. Also i'm quite perplexed by the fact they named it after the entire over arching franchise , its really awkward to talk about the world of darkness and not include Werewolf , Hunter , Changling or even Mage but its understandable to focus on the popular Splats first.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Am I the only one who hates it when people start sentences with "Am I the only one"?

I'm skeptical of any and all MMOs. Seems to be the healthiest stance to take with them.

darthal

Jul 9, 2009
I would hope it's awesome, but looking at it, it wouldn't hold by breath, trying to translate a pen and paper world into a MMO will not be easy, I mean Look at WAR or DDO, both of those had great ideas, but they weren't as good as they could have been, and anyone who plays the pen and paper will have high expectations for this game too.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
darkonxy said:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/19/kindred-spirits-world-of-darkness/#more-74675
there I figured you'd know about that but hey since I have to bring everything to the table here fine.
Did you actually read that? It sounds like someone who doesn't know, or care, about the actual PnP game kind of assuming that maybe some stuff will happen involving vampires. About a game that is in pre-production. It will literally be years before you'll see anything that you could make an informed judgement about if it even makes it that far since projects like this get shit-canned all the time.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Yeah: Pen and Paper games wrestle in a wholly different arena. They can't be compared to sucky MMO's in any case. But still, as a computergame, WoD should NOT be converted to a massively multiplayer experience, because it's just not meant to be like that.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
You're not the only one. There will always be skepicism about any new MMO as long as there will be someone online who will ask the question "Will it unseat World of Warcraft from the MMO throne?"

Not so much in the fact whether or not it will, but more or less you begin to wonder if that was the INTENT. You wonder if the company making the new MMO is hoping to cash in on the success that WoW had and maybe attract a few of those players by showing them an MMO experience with a different focus. In this case playing as a creature of the night instead of just fighting them as mobs.

As such...this is where the skepticism lies. You wonder whether this game was made just as a different MMO or whether it is a different MMO to attract the WoW crowds. If the latter, you tend to take the offering less seriously because it is close to insane to think that people who have played WoW for this long (and allowing themselves to be hit in the wallet every month to do so) would decide to just stop altogether to try something speculative.

Anyways...that's my 2 gold/rupee/zenny/mesos on the subject.

CAPTCHA: chiteit force

An undiscovered fifth force of nature? Physicists are going to have a field day with this one...

Noyourjoanzy

Dec 7, 2010
Yes you are, for there is a big difference between the skepticism you have and the lack of care I have. Mystery solved.