Am I the only one with a durable Xbox 360?

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
From the stories I've heard from just about everyone else in the entire world the XBox 360 has a habit of bursting into flames and hurling itself from the roof of your apartment complex. I've had my 360 for over a year now, I use it regularly, and it only once gave me any kind of trouble. And I should point out that the only time it froze up was when I was playing a game that (prior to patching) was so glitchy that I was amazed the disc didn't try to eat its way out of the console.

So do the rest of you use your XBox as a football? Do you let your dog chew on it? Or am I just the only person in all of creation to luck out and get an XBox 360 that isn't a lemon?

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
I've had mine since Christmas and it's never gone wrong. I think you hear so many horror stories because the people who have broken Xboxes complain. What are the rest of us gonna do, post a blog saying "My Xbox still works fine" every day?

Infradead

May 8, 2008
I treated my first 360 like a newborn baby and it still crapped out after a few months. The second one has been going for a good year or so now, so fingers crossed.
The 360 destroyed my faith in the durability of consoles. I can't take having my heart broken like that.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
J'aen said:
I've had mine since Christmas and it's never gone wrong. I think you hear so many horror stories because the people who have broken Xboxes complain. What are the rest of us gonna do, post a blog saying "My Xbox still works fine" every day?
You've just given me an incredibly stupid idea which I plan to act on immediately!

http://360trooper.blogspot.com/

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Nah, but as any MMO forum will teach you, it's only the people who have problems who post.

Seriously, go hit the WoW forums for a bit and try to find a thread where they say, "Man am I ever happy with what I have. Thank god Blizzard made this game." Go on, I'll wait.

Still waiting...

That said, the 360 did have some *heavy* problems at launch. Not on all units, but on enough to seriously hurt. Nowadays you're pretty much safe buying a new one, and the warranty extension should cover all the old units, but the damage is done at this point. It was a really bad, rushed launch.

But then, that's Microsoft.

- J

bobrocks

Jul 9, 2008
Nope, my 360 has been running strong for about 2 years now. I love the little guy and would be heartbroken if anything happened to him!

Wulf Legend

Jul 8, 2008
Mine was perfectly fine. I've had it since September and it only stopped working a few weeks ago. I think it was my own fault, because I carried it to and from my friend's house. Something loosened up in the component cables attachment area.

Batsu-sama

Jul 9, 2008
My XB360 lasted 1 year, 1 month before finally suffering the RRoD, and is now in its Cardboard Coffin waiting to be sent off for repairs in the morning.

kelmanski

May 12, 2008
I've had my 360 going on a year or so now. Never had so much as a hick-up other than when it's the game it-self's fault.

Contrary to that my housemate decided with his January student loan to buy one and it crapped out on him within a week (wouldn't read games) so he returned it the store... only for his new one to red ring 3 weeks later... whilst mine was running smoothly... and i've kicked mine at least once.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Had mine since release day. Have to turn it on it's side to play dvd's for some reason, but other than that it's right as rain. I was a little irked when I learned they'd released that quieter version. But I've gotten used to it's rumbling hum I guess.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
....yes quite simply you are the only one who's has not broken, and I strongly surgest you knock on wood immediately that it stays that way.

Dark Shroud

Mar 18, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
That said, the 360 did have some *heavy* problems at launch. Not on all units, but on enough to seriously hurt. Nowadays you're pretty much safe buying a new one, and the warranty extension should cover all the old units, but the damage is done at this point. It was a really bad, rushed launch.
The problems have been lessened but not fixed. The first 2 drives used (Samsung & Hitatchi) had problems. The current BenQ is much better but it can still wear out and stop working or start grinding discs.

The 360 bakes it's self and there is hot much that can be done at this point. The Falcon chipset (65nm CPU and screws instead of X clamps) helps. Until the Jasper (65nm GPU and 65nm memory) comes out there will still be burn outs.

I'm on my second and that's only because I never bothered to open and play it. My nephew is on his 8th.

Finally the warranty is only 3 years on the RRoD everything else is 1 year. And once this warranty runs out you have to pay up to MS for repairs. In 5 years all of my consoles including my NES will still be working just fine but not my 360.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
I heard that depending on manufacturing date and Xbox 360 model they can last longer than others.
I heard that the Xbox 360 Elite is the most durable version of them all, but don't quote me on that however.

Also I've heard that with the smaller nanometer GPU chipset the latter editions of Xbox 360 the motherboard warping is less likely to happen.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I think it's not so much how many people have problems, but how many people EXPECT problems.

Ask me about any console I own, or my friends own, and I'll reply "it works fine."

The exception to this is my PS2, which is "it struggles to read a few disks," and anyone I know who ones an X-Box, to which I will answer "It works, for now."

I know two people who have gone over to the Dark Side and use the X-Box as their main console. So far, one of them has had to get it repaired due to Red Ring of Death.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
I work at a Gamestop, so I get tons of horror stories about 360's blowing up and hurling shrapnel into the faces of others, but the 360 I just recently sold has been around for years, never had a single issue. Plus, all the ones I've had before them have never had a single issue either...it's almost kinda strange.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
So far my 360 is holding up better than my PS3, I need to spend the next year trying to brick it so I can have it replaced before my warrenty expires.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I've only traded in my 360 once, and that was only because some idiot friend of my brother's banged the table it stands on and made it fall over, breaking one of the cooling fans.

I'll tell all the people who keep breaking theirs, if you get RRoD it's better to trade for a new one. And a 360 is not a simple DVD player, it's a high powered computer and should be treated as such. Give proper ventilation and stand it upright if you plan to leave it on for more than an hour at a time.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
My first 360 lasted 10 months before bombing out just before Christmas. (Yay.) This one, a refurb shipped back to me gratis by the repair depot,. (in exactly one week, which was impressive over the holiday) is working fine so far.

-- Steve