Am I the only one with a durable Xbox 360?

Dark Shroud

Mar 18, 2008
@ CyberAkuma & Unkillable Cat

It doesn't matter whether it's an Arcade, Core, Pro, or Elite. What matters is the chipset. The original non-HDMI version is the Xenon model (I had one, it broke), the Zypher model is the same inside only it has HDMI (my family has had many break). The Falcon is the current version that uses less power and isn't as hot. The easiest way to tell if you have a Falcon is if the sticker on the back says it uses around 175 watts. If it says 200watts you have a Zypher.

EDIT, I will note that Xenon & Zypher models that are sent to MS for repair get a new heat sink to replace the old version. But the chip size/power consumption/heat output stays the same.

Marblewood

Jul 9, 2008
I've had my xbox since mid-2007 and it RROD'd on me once, the letter I got after repair said that it wasn't overheating, it was the disc-drive that was broken. Haven't had problems since. I do however take every precaution so it doesn't overheats. It stands 30 cm from a window that is almost aways (halfway) open, so it's not in 'dead air'. I also keep the powerbrick next to the same window, for maximum cooling. There's also at least 10 cm of free space on all sides of the console. On a positive note to Microsoft: I was only 10 days 'xbox-less' during repairs, so it didn't hurt at all. :D

bustns

May 8, 2008
people i must have the worlds best luck when it comes to xbox 360 units. i preorderded mine in 05 and picked it up launch day in november 05, the 21st i think and its worked perfect every day since, almost 3 years!!!!!! i play my xbox a lot and not once have i had the hint of a problem. i sometimes feel like i must have gotten the only launch console in north america that didnt have quality issues.

LogicalFailure

Jul 4, 2008
Mine still works and I have had since release. Although it did make me nervous when it got kind of choppy while I was play bioshock but that only lasted for a little bit. Also I would like to note my cousin's 360 crapped out on him and my friend's broke, twice. Which makes me feel even more nervous.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Other than it sounds like a 747 taking off when I fire it up and the odd freezing issue (more likely disc than console problem) I have had mine for close to a year. And it isn't uncommon for me to play for 5-8 hours at a time.

TheIceface

May 8, 2008
Wulf Legend said:
Mine was perfectly fine. I've had it since September and it only stopped working a few weeks ago. I think it was my own fault, because I carried it to and from my friend's house. Something loosened up in the component cables attachment area.
Wait a minute, your fault for carrying it to other houses? Last time I checked that was the premium feature of consoles, the ability to move them around and take them on trips!

What kind of a world do we live in where people can't even carry their consoles around? Oh well, at least the Gamecube had a cool handle to do just that with it.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
I've had mine since late 2006 and aside from a random loud start up, it hasn't failed me. I've actually never had a serious problem with a console. I actually hooked up my original NES after being in my parents attic for about 12 years (I've been using emulators), it worked fine. Kinda surprised me. What I found more funny was having an NES plugged into a 52" plasma TV, that just seems like major overkill.

Frosk

Mar 12, 2008
greygelgoog said:
J'aen said:
I've had mine since Christmas and it's never gone wrong. I think you hear so many horror stories because the people who have broken Xboxes complain. What are the rest of us gonna do, post a blog saying "My Xbox still works fine" every day?
You've just given me an incredibly stupid idea which I plan to act on immediately!

http://360trooper.blogspot.com/
That is great. It's a good thing my co-workers all went out to lunch today, because I would have just gottena funny look from laughing so much.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
I've had mine since Christmas and its never even froze up once, let alone burst into flames and fling itself off of my roof.

LionheartDJH

Jun 19, 2008
greygelgoog said:
From the stories I've heard from just about everyone else in the entire world the XBox 360 has a habit of bursting into flames and hurling itself from the roof of your apartment complex. I've had my 360 for over a year now, I use it regularly, and it only once gave me any kind of trouble. And I should point out that the only time it froze up was when I was playing a game that (prior to patching) was so glitchy that I was amazed the disc didn't try to eat its way out of the console.

So do the rest of you use your XBox as a football? Do you let your dog chew on it? Or am I just the only person in all of creation to luck out and get an XBox 360 that isn't a lemon?
Yeah mine went for 18 months without a single problem until the graphics knackered up one day. Much to my disappointment because I was the only one of my friends who had not had to send mine back for repair (even though I eventually didn't, got rid of it for a PS3 then traded that back for another 360, indecisive as ever as you can tell). Hope your console lasts and you don't have any problems with it mate, but I thought the same as you until it happened to mine aswell.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
I had a first gen 360 with zero RROD's... until I left it with my family and it gave up the ghost after a few months.

Est run time without RROD: 2.7 years

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
i had mine since november. I have the thing standing upright and i noticed that the vent on the bottom isn't really doing anything. So I found some Jenga blocks...lol jenga...i got the jenga blocks and placed it underneath the console so the vents on the bottom would actually do something.
But then again, i never really played the thing for more then 3 hours. I get so bored with the games on it, i shut it off after 30 minutes of playing gta/cod4, or whatever else i have.
I guess that may be a reason why i never overheated. I dont use the thing for more then an hour at a time.
I think the whole overheating thing is a safety device to prevent people from sitting infront of their tv for days only to get up to eat and shit...lol, right

Trogd0r

Jun 5, 2008
I have owned my Xbox 360 for 2 years now, and it always worked like a charm.
And I play the thing every single day, sometimes for hours on end.

I should also note that I actually know how to care for electronic equipment, unlike some people :)

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Trogd0r said:
I have owned my Xbox 360 for 2 years now, and it always worked like a charm.
And I play the thing every single day, sometimes for hours on end.

I should also note that I actually know how to care for electronic equipment, unlike some people :)
My last 360 died because I had the sheer audacity to make sandwiches with it. Seriously. What the hell? I make sandwiches with my PS3 all the time and it still works for the one game I play on it.

I tried to make sandwiches with the Wiimote, but it got slippery and flew into the tv.

- J

Cunning Hookshot

Jul 9, 2008
I've had mine since christmas 2006, and it's been trodden on, tipped on it's side while playing GTA 4 so I could plug in the wireless adapter for LIVE, hefted around my house and over the countryside in a bag that slams into my hips, played for 24 hours of Halo 2 round my friends house because thats the kind of social life I have, and all it does is disapprove of me playing Portal off the Orange box.

And Halo 3.

And Oblivion.

And every game up on my shelf really.

Except Dead Rising. I myself disapprove of that.