am i the only one with this problem?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Sirch.Cajnos said:
okay, so i love final fantasy, the problem? I've never beaten one. Why? i get to like the final boss, final dungeon in some cases....and i get stuck....there is a solution and that is training and i don't know if you've ever tried training in an ff game...but it is probably one of the most boring experiences in the history of experiences.

anywho, just wondering if anyone else has this, or a similar, problem.
No, you aren't the only one with this problem. The only FF game I've had is the DS remake of FF4, and when I got to the last boss, I just gave up since I'd already had all the storyline I was going to get out of the game and I didn't want to grind for hours just to get a screen saying, "You Win!".

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
In the future, your best solution with these games is to spread the "grind" around a bit.

Spend a bit more time in each "area" (or however a particular game is divided). Over-level by 2 or 3 levels in that area. This keeps you from having to do all of the "grinding" at the near-end.

Of course, when you do that, it makes the next area less challenging. But, hey, that's the trade-off in the RPG formula.

Sammi Costello

Mar 20, 2010
Sirch.Cajnos said:
okay, so i love final fantasy, the problem? I've never beaten one. Why? i get to like the final boss, final dungeon in some cases....and i get stuck....there is a solution and that is training and i don't know if you've ever tried training in an ff game...but it is probably one of the most boring experiences in the history of experiences.

You mean "training" as in "leveling up" I assume? It's a part of the experience I suppose. People claim that RPGs have 30+ hours of gameplay when the actual main story line only lasts for 10 or 15. The rest of it is made up of you doing side quests, or just XP grinding. It's what happens.

My advice, if you ever go back to any FF game (or RPGs in general), is to do your leveling early on. Then try to stay maybe 3 or 4 levels ahead of what the game wants at all times. Another tip that might help you out is character progression. Check online walkthroughs and stuff like that for character progression charts. These charts will let you plan how you spend your points/ability slots/whatever, or let you know what level you need to be before you get a certain ability.

A good example would be Pokemon. You pick Bulbasaur, because he's great against Rock, the first gym, but you need a grass type attack, which Bulbasaur will learn at level 10. That's the kind of thing online walkthroughs are handy for. And there's no shame in using them by the way ;).

But, like I said, try "power leveling" early on. Try gaining extra levels when the monsters around you have fewer powerful attacks, and you'll find the rest of the game slightly easier as a whole, and you may just get those abilities that you need for the final battle.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
... how... how does one even get stuck on the final bosses of any FF game? They're typically the easiest fights in the game even without grinding.

I mean, chaos could've been a ***** occasionally, as he had every attack in the game on his attack tables, and he had the ability to completely wipe out even a maxed out party in a few rounds, but most times he simply cast harmless shit while you beat the crap out of him.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
The only one I never beat was 12, didn't even get to the final boss because it was so mind-numbingly boring I kept falling asleep while I was playing it. With boss fights in FF I find that if you are having difficulties its normally because you need a change in strategy, i.e being more offensive than defensive in the final boss of FFXIII made it alot easier for me.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
I almost never grind in RPGs. I just keep retrying with different tactics. The Shin Megami Tensei series focuses a lot on strategy and tactics. I find myself focusing a lot on healing and buffs and debuffs. Fights are longer but if you can't die its hard to loose :)

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Sirch.Cajnos said:

Yeah. Here a trick.
1:Go there: http://www.spill.com/Audio/Default.aspx

2:Now, if you have an Ipod and/or Itune, subscribe to their feed. If not, get it. I lost the page where i could download directly their mp3.

3:Download this podcast: LET'S DO THIS (LDT). If you want, get also their old one.

4:Boot up a FF and place your character near a good grinding spot.

5:play the podcast.

6:While doing number 5, grind.

7:LOLz

That's what i do. The LET'S DO THIS podcast, hosted by Korey and Co-Host 3000, is a crazy show that talk about absolutely retarded yet incredible funny stuff. Here a few example.

LET'S DO THIS said:
Korey:You know that went you enter the military, you'll get your prostate check.
Co-host 3000: Oh no!
Korey: And you get the guy that see Ass all day. I don't know but he most have one of the worst job ever.
Co-host 3000: Yeah, I can't imagine what it's like.
Korey: Imagine him going home. His wife says: "So honey how was your day". How was my day. It was shit brown! You want to know, you really want to know... Smell my finger!
Co-host 3000: HAhAHAHAHA! Here take a good sniff.
Korey: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Sleekgiant said:
Also grinding is boring in every RPG game, get used to it.
This. A thousand times this.

The grinding in FF7 and 13 were so bad, that I just couldn't finish them.

I was able to finish 8, X and X-2 just fine because there was a minimal amount of grinding in them.

Please, Square. Next time you make a Final Fantasy game, go back to making it like X.

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
You have to grind, but I have one time that I didn;t grind and beat the first final fantasy. I was about 10 and I got it for the GBA, and I was just going through the game, I didn;t even know what grind was. I accidentally went into all the bonus dungeons, and beat almost every bonus boss, without knowing it, got to chaos, and on the second try, I beat him, with no dead party members :/
But yea, grind grind grind. One of the only things I don;t like about the FF games.

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
Persi said:
What's this grinding you are typing about?

Explain please.
Grinding is the act of constantly wandering around and fighting monster only for exp and to level up so you are on the same level as the dungeon you are about to go into or boss fight. usually used to get to level 100 in most rpgs, including pokemon.
Many people see it as a chore.

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
I played Breath of Fire 3 pretty much the same time Playstation came out, i was not too familier with RPG's like that (it was too complicated lol) growing up on 2 button controllers like Nintendo Ent Sys, and eventually a Sega Genisis (i didn't have a SNES for a long time) Point being is that i was way mis-informed on how to correctly operate games like these, so when i did get to the final boss i was turned to pink mist almost instantly.....

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
FreelanceButler said:
I never finished X because the last boss was just crazy-strong.
No offense but are you shitting me? You couldn't lose, Lady Yunalesca was a ***** and Seymour on gagazet was a bit of a toughie but other than that the main story was easy.

On the other hand dark aeons, nemesis and penance were hard!.

Do FFX it's so easy it's almost laughable, after about 2 hours (if that) of grind using the don tonberry method (look it up).

Julianking93 said:
Please, Square. Next time you make a Final Fantasy game, go back to making it like X.
Here here! Man, I love that game!

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Bailos said:
This has happened to me in 7-9, and 12. You're not alone man. But by that point I can pretty much flesh out the resolution in my mind, so there's not much incentive for training.
Any time somebody mentions FFXII, I think of one boss...

You're never the only one, ever. Shamefully though, the only FFs I've finished are X and XIII. That makes me feel like a sad unicorn.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
It's all in the presentation. I mean no offense, but if you hate grinding, Final Fantasy is just not for you. Or perhaps I should say repetitive grinding. Any game with character levels is going to involve The Search For XP.
If you need to grind out a few levels in a Bethesda game, for example, you can just point yourself at a blank spot on the map, and start wandering the wasteland/wilderness, taking in the sights, stumbling across sidequests, and fighting random beasties/raiders/unholy cliff racers.
FF-style JRPG grinding involves pacing in a room having the same three fights for three hours.
Unless you're playing FF Tactics. The grinding was the best part there.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Sirch.Cajnos said:

Almost any FF game can be beaten with very minimal training given the proper strategy. But of course grinding certainly pays off and can help make any bad luck or mistakes made in the strategy less disastrous. It took me awhile to beat 6.