Am I too White?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
AceAngel said:
Just recently, I bought out the entire collection of Beethoven's music (in terms of 'Data', it would have to be around 18 GB's of MP3's I guess) and have most of them on my Phone to listen to while taking the Metro.

The thing is, I'm a 22 year old guy and straight. Yet after some of my friends finding out my music consisted mainly of violins and Piano's, they came to the logical conclusion that I am either very very 'Metrosexual', and when they found out it was a classical composer, they came to the new theory that I am 'White as white can be'.

So my question: Am I really 'too white'? Please note all responses will be recorded for QA.

What's wrong with being white?

Let's be honest if you have concerns about some kind of ethnic association in any form, I think that says a bit about you as much as anything. Attitudes about being "too" something or "not ethnic enough" (towards your own group) are at the root of a lot of what remains of racism even when there is no real discrimination involved.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
AceAngel said:
Just recently, I bought out the entire collection of Beethoven's music (in terms of 'Data', it would have to be around 18 GB's of MP3's I guess) and have most of them on my Phone to listen to while taking the Metro.

The thing is, I'm a 22 year old guy and straight. Yet after some of my friends finding out my music consisted mainly of violins and Piano's, they came to the logical conclusion that I am either very very 'Metrosexual', and when they found out it was a classical composer, they came to the new theory that I am 'White as white can be'.

So my question: Am I really 'too white'? Please note all responses will be recorded for QA.
Your friends are making a racist comment because they're effectively saying that non-white people can't like classical music. I'm not sure where that perception comes from - most of the graduates in my year at music University were not white, and I could post hundreds of YouTube links to people who are not white playing classical music... but I won't because I'm lazy, so I'll just post one.

Who cares what people think of your music taste anyway. Unless you're playing it through your walls at them really loud for 14 hours per day I don't think they have a case to complain.

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
I'd say your a refined and allround nice guy!

I have the same thing, LOVE Beethoven and Mozart!
Its just a taste in music, anyone dissing it is just wrong.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
AceAngel said:

There is absolutely no relationship between liking classical music and being white.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
beethoven was the original innovator of the classical period. if it wasn't for his use of unpalatable emotion in music, we wouldn't have modern music as we know it. an appreciation for some of the most amazing music ever written doesn't make you metrosexual or "too white."

though if you ever want to check out the MOST amazing music ever written, check out mozart. :)

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
So because you like a different musical style you are suddenly too white? Screw them I say. Besides, classical music is awesome. I especially love the slow, smooth stuff. Even more so if cellos are involved.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LifeCharacter said:
If you don't reflect the sun off of your skin and blind others your not too white, you could be pale though I don't know what you look like.

Just tell them that you're sorry that you have your own preference in music.
I don't know, if you're reflecting that much sun, you're probably doing your part to help with climate change.

I'm surprised so many people haven't encountered the stereotype that classical music is "very white." I mean, it's dumb, but so are many stereotypes. Classical is for middle class or better, white, middle aged snobs.

Which I totally don't agree with, since I have about as much Nappy Roots and NWA as I do Mozart and Chopin. But still, I've heard the stereotype since I was like...Four?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I don't really understand how one can be too white. But anyways, I think there are always going to be aspects of everyone that their friends find funny, or don't understand. Liking classical music is just a little unusual, but you'll probably find that this is simply because they haven't been exposed to it. I grew up with classical music, while some people I know find that abhorrent, as they've grown up with boybands, or no music other than what the television throws out.
It's certainly not something you should be giving serious thought to.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Thing is if you start listening to Rap and Hip Hop you'll be labelled a wannabe black.

Cant win either way so the only solution is ignore everyone and continue to listen to whatever in blissful ignorance.

NeoShai

May 1, 2009
'Classical Music? Stop listening to music made by poofs and stick on some Elton John'.

OT: Not really.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Hrmm... If I recall correctly, in Beethoven's day being pale as the moon was more respectable than a tan "lower class working man" or something to those lines, hence the powered wigs and faces. Maybe that plays into it somehow?

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Well I have of ton of funk, soul, and blues on my ipod, would your friends think I'm black?

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
How are you "too white" or even meterosexual for liking classical music? Sounds like your friends are closet gays and trying to say you're gay to hide their fears. Or they're in to rap.

Either way, get new friends.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
No. You're middle class.

Or possibly upper class. I don't know you. But Classical music isn't very working class. This whole black/white thing seems silly, and also arbitrary.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
You like classical music. This is bad because?...

Also, what is bad about being white?

Edit: And i fail to see the correlation between classical music and metrosexuality. I thought metrosexuals were feminine men who are really concerned with how they look.