Amazing Spider-Man Ends With Issue #700

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
I don't know if anyone here has actually read Slott's work on Spider-Man for the last four years but it has been excellent. His stories have been fun and lighthearted, while remaining big on concept and characters. Under him, Peter Parker has actually been a likable character for the first time in two decades, and as someone who has read ALOT of Spider-Man I find the recent stories to be the best the web-slinger's ever been.

This will just be an interesting long-term story, and then they'll go back to the old ASM numbering. They've done it before, this won't be permanent.

Plus Peter is in Ock's body, so he's not even gone.

I can't believe that anyone who complains about this is currently reading ASM, I have an enormous amount of trust in Slott's work and I'm really looking forward to Superior Spider-Man.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Why even do this? Doc Ock is evil, if he stops being evil it will because he was changed by Parkers memories, not because he is actually no longer evil.
Why would I want to see him as a hero? Isn't that what Spider Man is supposed to be most of the time for readers?
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I... what?

This is why I can't get into superhero comics. I just can't. The story sounds ridiculous, like a soap opera that's taken some bad acid,
This does remind me of Passions quite a lot now that you mention it.

Baron_BJ said:
I"Spider-Man has been replaced by someone who has tried (and claimed) to be WORSE THAN HITLER, so you should all buy our new book; SPIDER-HITLER!".
I cannot stop laughing.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
What... just... what? Also, didn't they already do the "Peter Parker is dead" angle in Ultimate Spider-man?

I honestly have no issues with the idea of a villain reforming... but there's gotta be a better way to do it...

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Well, this sounds like it was a good thing I've left comics. C'est la vie.
Waaghpowa said:
Me and a friend have been speculating for a while now that Peter Parker will return because the Doctor "Rewrote brain patterns" rather than swapping minds, and as such Peter Parker will eventually resurface.
Well that's a [fingerquotes]justifiable[/fingerquotes] explanation for returning to the status quo. This whole situation still sounds a touch dumb though.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
mad825 said:
The name "Superior Spider-Man" doesn't sit too well on the tongue, there's no rhyming and no flare to the name.
I like the shortened version though. SS man may seem too nazi germany for you, but I for one will love the reactions from the fans!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Wow, that's pretty AMAZING hehehehehehehehehe Hopefully the new comic will be SUPERIOR hehehehehehehehehehe to the last. Maybe Peter will stay dead. Probably not though. Btw, the only real reboots in NEW 52 seemed to be the Superman Family and The Flash, they didn't even touch Green Lantern or Batman, well BARELY anyway.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
As bad as I realise this is gonna sound, I'm going with it anyway.

I am a long time comic reader (28 years plus) now and have long ago given up trying to buy the monthly issues of a book like Spiderman because it is draining financially and time-draining. Admittedly I still buy a lot of the collected books and graphic novels but it's much easier to do so. Another reason I don't do it any more is that although I'm ashamed to admit it it has just become too hard for me to keep up with Marvel continuity. Torrents will get you part of the way there but I personally don't like downloading it unless I'm going to buy it. (This is not a comment on the ethics of downloading, just a personal preference.)

So-called "New beginnings" like this one do serve two purposes however. The advertising involved inevitably draws old readers back to check out the new arc, and also begins a partially new continuity in that the reader doesn't necessarily need to know ALL of the details of the current continuities.

Bottom line: While I often see these sorts of things as an amoral cash-grab, they often sort of re-spark my curiosity for the books in question.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Ultimate Spider-Man dying and getting replaced was a downer, this just sounds weird. People already disliked one Spider-Man dying, they had to have seen this coming. I don't read 'em, but still.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010

OT: Pfft, yeah right. They'll never follow through with this. A few months and Peter Parker will return in some weird, badly explained way.

Sep 3, 2012
This has to be tha single most stupid idea i have ever heard.i bet Stan lee had an hearth attack. srly this is 10 times what Alan moore feel with watchmen.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
If they hadn't done the craptastic "One More Day" Storyline, I might be willing to say "I'll give this one a chance." But since I read "One More Day", my "give this one a chance" card got used up. I'll wait a few years then look back to see if this worked or not. Maybe when they bring it out in the bargain bins at ComicCons or Fan Expo, where I can pick up the entire run for about $10.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
rhizhim said:
it will be like a bad fanfiction fusion between fight club and spiderman, where doc peterpus (?) will commit crimes and beat himself up in a parking lot into giving up.

full with superpowered self wedgies.
That actually sounds kind of amazing, in an awful sort of way. And I am definitely calling him Doc Peterpus from now on.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The neighborhood friendly Spidy has been going through some really weird shit, hasn't he?
Just see movie Bob's stuff about him. Sells away his marriage to MJ to the devil, without negative repurcussions. Appearing and disappearing daughter. Impossible to follow continuity.

I have a silver age fan buddy that is going to hit the roof!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Gorfias said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The neighborhood friendly Spidy has been going through some really weird shit, hasn't he?
Just see movie Bob's stuff about him. Sells away his marriage to MJ to the devil, without negative repurcussions. Appearing and disappearing daughter. Impossible to follow continuity.

That's what I mean though!

He's practically one of the few main Marvel characters that goes through the weirdest and dumbest crap.

Poor Spidy can't catch a break. :(

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Gorfias said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

That's what I mean though!

He's practically one of the few main Marvel characters that goes through the weirdest and dumbest crap.

Poor Spidy can't catch a break. :(
I just wrote all my nerd buddies with a link to this writing, "they just outa have turned his costume black again... or something.