Amazing Spider-Man Ends With Issue #700

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
OrokuSaki said:
Ronack said:
"This is our answer to the age old question as to how we're going to make something worse than One More Day" said Dan Slott, the writer on Amazing Spider-Man.
This is something I've never understood, what is wrong with One More Day? I know I hated the changes that it brought, but at the same time, I read the whole thing thinking "Wow, this is incredibly well-written." Like the rest of the Staczynski run I found the dialogue and pacing to be incredible and by the end I was genuinely sad for the characters. Couldn't we all just agree to hate Brand New Day more?
The reason people hate One More Day more is theyre's a bajillion plot holes, utterly ridiculous writing, calling people who like escapist fiction patheticly lifeless worms, breaking up something that they explicitly said they wouldn't break up, and Spiderman, a devout Christian and the hero who made "with great power comes great responsibilty", MAKING A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL TO DODGE RESPONSIBILITY! Brand New Day rubbed salt into the wound, but One More Day made that wound to begin with, and it cut DEEP.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
OrokuSaki said:
Ronack said:
"This is our answer to the age old question as to how we're going to make something worse than One More Day" said Dan Slott, the writer on Amazing Spider-Man.
This is something I've never understood, what is wrong with One More Day? I know I hated the changes that it brought, but at the same time, I read the whole thing thinking "Wow, this is incredibly well-written." Like the rest of the Staczynski run I found the dialogue and pacing to be incredible and by the end I was genuinely sad for the characters. Couldn't we all just agree to hate Brand New Day more?

OT: The new Doc-Ock Spider-Man should be boycotted until Marvel tells the magical story of how at the last moment Peter Parker switched bodies back right before the death of Otto Octavius and spent the next few weeks in a "Surprisingly Octavius-like state of mind".
No offence meant at all by this, but no. One More Day is not well written.

1. Why have the shooter shoot May? Peter giving up his marriage to save her, a woman who would most likely be dead within 5 years or so of old age, is dumb. It's especially dumb since she spoke to Peter in an ethereal plane and said "I've had a good life, you should let me go". Simple solution: Have the shooter shoot MJ. Mafisto shows up and says "I'll save her but you can never see her again or she will die". Boom, much more trauma and it causes much more pain for Peter since he'd KNOW he made the deal rather than this BS explanation of "a small part of you will remember subconsciously and it'll torture you".

2. NOBODY on the planet can help May? REALLY? Peter talks to Reed Richards, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Dr. Octopus, Beast, even Dr. Doom of all people and NONE of them can help her? BULL. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

3. They wasted half an issue having Peter re-live the shooting. Pointless.

4. I know it may have not been intentional, but when Peter talks to his alternate universe self that designs software, he outright insulted everybody that gets into escapist fantasy. Hypocritical coming from a superhero comic.

5. How'd Peter lose his organic web shooters? Not even OMIT explained that.

Those are some of the worst plot holes in the book, on top of the mischaracterisation as a whole of Peter even making the deal. I know this isn't all Straczynski's fault, the book was re-written a lot and JMS fought to not have them break up but ultimately he couldn't dissuade Quesada. Not to say though that he doesn't deserve a bit of the blame, even a great writer can make bad stuff now and again (see Superman #701).

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Isn't it just completely messed up though? Not only does Peter Parker, the Spider-man we all know and love, die but we're now supposed to root for the guy that killed him? And the whole body switch thing I assume that his loved ones won't even know that Peter actually died?

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It's really sad seeing Marvel do something stupid yet again, Clone-Saga, One More Day, etc. I barely keep up with the comics, but Spider-Man is a child hood hero for me. And of all villains to have hijack him, why fucking Doc-Ock?

All the negativity aside, I really like the first issue's cover.

JonB said:
"How do you get more Peter Parker than that? Now the readers think he's a menace. That's exciting. On a meta-level, that is Spider-Man."
Right.............

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Baron von Blitztank said:
I doubt this is gonna last. Worst case scenario is that Doctor Octopus will have the mantle for a year at most but then Peter Parker is gonna be back in the costume and trading Yo Mamma slurs with Deadpool as he used to.

What is this whole Marvel NOW! thing anyway? The title sounds really stupid.
Marvel Now is marvel swapping all of its authors and artists onto new and different titles along with a renumbering/new books all together in an effort to make their line more compelling. Since the renumbering isn't really a reboot but a move meant to speed things along in new directions, the books, along for other reasons, have been really good so far.
I'd recommend Uncanny Avengers, All New X-Men, Thor (thought I'd never recommend a thor book lol), and Avengers

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I give them maybe ....

No I give them nothing. I don't read comic books! :D

Carry on, nothing to see here but basic comic book stuff. 100$ says PP gets resurrected in less than 10 issues.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Aeshi said:
Come on, when was the last time a supposedly 'dead' Superhero (or Villain) actually stayed dead?
This pretty much sums it up, guys. There's no point getting all riled up about it really. Comics will be comics!

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Vausch said:
OrokuSaki said:
Ronack said:

OT: The new Doc-Ock Spider-Man should be boycotted until Marvel tells the magical story of how at the last moment Peter Parker switched bodies back right before the death of Otto Octavius and spent the next few weeks in a "Surprisingly Octavius-like state of mind".
No offence meant at all by this, but no. One More Day is not well written.

1. Why have the shooter shoot May? Peter giving up his marriage to save her, a woman who would most likely be dead within 5 years or so of old age, is dumb. It's especially dumb since she spoke to Peter in an ethereal plane and said "I've had a good life, you should let me go". Simple solution: Have the shooter shoot MJ. Mafisto shows up and says "I'll save her but you can never see her again or she will die". Boom, much more trauma and it causes much more pain for Peter since he'd KNOW he made the deal rather than this BS explanation of "a small part of you will remember subconsciously and it'll torture you".

2. NOBODY on the planet can help May? REALLY? Peter talks to Reed Richards, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Dr. Octopus, Beast, even Dr. Doom of all people and NONE of them can help her? BULL. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

3. They wasted half an issue having Peter re-live the shooting. Pointless.

4. I know it may have not been intentional, but when Peter talks to his alternate universe self that designs software, he outright insulted everybody that gets into escapist fantasy. Hypocritical coming from a superhero comic.

5. How'd Peter lose his organic web shooters? Not even OMIT explained that.

Those are some of the worst plot holes in the book, on top of the mischaracterisation as a whole of Peter even making the deal. I know this isn't all Straczynski's fault, the book was re-written a lot and JMS fought to not have them break up but ultimately he couldn't dissuade Quesada. Not to say though that he doesn't deserve a bit of the blame, even a great writer can make bad stuff now and again (see Superman #701).
1. That actually happened in Civil War/Back In Black

2. I only recall him going to Tony Stark and Dr. Strange. And Doctor Strange has that whole "Preserve the natural order" speech.

3. The shooting happened in a different book, so maybe it was a recap/dramatic effect? I see no way to really defend that one.

4. The alternate version who was a software designer is entitled to think of escapists as wasting time, because his character wasted his life as one himself.

5. That's actually a problem with Brand New Day, One More Day didn't mention the web-shooters at all.

The way that I prefer to see it isn't "Straczynski broke up MJ and Peter." but instead that the storyline was going to be written anyways, it could have been a lot worse. Quesada already decided that somehow the two were going to be separated, and I'm honestly not sure how much of this plot line was created by Staczynski and how much was forced into the book. Also OMIT felt like a 4-Chapter kick in the balls. Marvel basically told us that they acknowledged that nobody liked the changes of One More Day, but that everyone was going to have to suck it up.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Vault101 said:
Yeah, you kinda reinforced what I meant. See, what I like about, let's say, videogames is that for the most part, you can sit down and play a game and get the story. There are some side plots and alternate universes but for the most part, it's simple to understand. But comics are just very...indecisive. And I really don't want to sit down and read Wikipedia because I don't understand/want to understand comics. It's like sitting down and reading Metal gear's plot on Wikipedia. Or even worse, having someone describe, let's say, going to Disneyland to you as opposed to actually going and being there yourself.

Like I said, I wanna like them but I can't bring myself to do so.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Yeah, you kinda reinforced what I meant. See, what I like about, let's say, videogames is that for the most part, you can sit down and play a game and get the story. There are some side plots and alternate universes but for the most part, it's simple to understand. But comics are just very...indecisive. And I really don't want to sit down and read Wikipedia because I don't understand/want to understand comics. It's like sitting down and reading Metal gear's plot on Wikipedia. Or even worse, having someone describe, let's say, going to Disneyland to you as opposed to actually going and being there yourself.

Like I said, I wanna like them but I can't bring myself to do so.
thats only if you want to read anything super hero related...wikipedia isnt to understand the story, you might come across a charachter and think "huh...whos that?" (like talia al goul or huntress) you dont even need to depending on some stories...you know who batman is and what he does, you know what superman does

I could list alot of comics book stores that are self contaned

-Dragmire- said:
That day my young self said, "Fuck comics!" and I never looked back.

This day, I am reminded of my complete lack of regret over that decision.
*facepalm* well done....

look seriously just read somthing non super hero related if you want..preacher...go read preacher or transmetropolitan..there ya go

no one here would take somone seriously if they said they didnt play games because they hate brown shooters..thats what your doing right now

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
matthew_lane said:
No its not. Try to understand the continuity behind Final Fantasy as a whole, or the Resident Evil-Verse as a whole: Now combined those two and all the other games universes & try to tell me they are simple to understand. Because thats essentially what you've done with comic books.

Comics are a Medium
Super Heroes are a Genre.
DC & Marvel are companies within the afore-mentioned genre.

Just get better at picking your reading material.
Well, I meant the plot, not the genre itself. And I also mentioned "for the most part". Heaven knows even something like Kingdom hearts has a convoluted plot. But for the most part, most videogame plots are easier to understand. To me. it could also be I enjoy videogames better; I can sti down and finish a game like Dishonored and rest assured I understood the plot perfectly fine.
Vault101 said:
thats only if you want to read anything super hero related...wikipedia isnt to understand the story, you might come across a charachter and think "huh...whos that?" (like talia al goul or huntress) you dont even need to depending on some stories...you know who batman is and what he does, you know what superman does

I could list alot of comics book stores that are self contaned

Yeah, perhaps I should have mentioned that. I would like to read about super hero related stuff. I like Batman, I like Superman, I love Spidey, I know their basic plot and powers and relatives and friends. but that's about all I know. I'll admit comic books that are unrelated to the superhero genre are easier to understand. They're literally graphic novels. but I'd like to read and understand the superhero ones.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
This is why I only follow Nick Fury regularly, but we'l see after the whole Nick Fury jr. bullshit, I hope they don't shove him to the background again

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Yeah, perhaps I should have mentioned that. I would like to read about super hero related stuff. I like Batman, I like Superman, I love Spidey, I know their basic plot and powers and relatives and friends. but that's about all I know. I'll admit comic books that are unrelated to the superhero genre are easier to understand. They're literally graphic novels. but I'd like to read and understand the superhero ones.
[/quote]
its really not that hard, you have the whole internet at your disposal...jsut ask what are good places to start

I've read some batman theres

Arkham asylum:living hell
The Killing joke
War games