Amazon Unveils Flying Robot Delivery Drones

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
JackyG said:
I'm interested to see how many of these actually do get shot down. And whether or not this delivery is actually cheaper after a while or a hell of a lot more expensive.
My guess it will be way more expensive. You can load up van and do multiple deliveries as opposed to a single one. The cost of insurance on one of those drones it going to be massive.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Ed130 said:
FalloutJack said:
Actually, different sortof concern here. It doesn't appear to have a real front or back, and has multiple propellers to keep it aloft, but...how exactly is it steering?
The same way most basic civilian drones with multiple rotors do, adjusting the speed of certain rotors to induce the desired momentum via the torque produced by the propellers becoming imbalanced.
Well, as I hadn't been up to date on drones lately, I didn't know that. But ummm...well, let's just say it's good to know the radius of delivery is only ten miles. It's a good idea, but I think a stiff breeze could knock it way off course if that's it's mode of steering. Bit different from the control of a helicopter.
Not really that far removed from actual heli's, the Chinook uses a similar system but with two rotors instead of the 4/8 of civilian models.

Besides the FAA will be creating guidelines for what weather you could operate in and modern drones are surprisingly hard to crash unless you are doing something retarded/awesome like pulling off a re-creation of the Star Wars trench run in poor conditions.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ed130 said:
FalloutJack said:
Ed130 said:
FalloutJack said:
Actually, different sortof concern here. It doesn't appear to have a real front or back, and has multiple propellers to keep it aloft, but...how exactly is it steering?
The same way most basic civilian drones with multiple rotors do, adjusting the speed of certain rotors to induce the desired momentum via the torque produced by the propellers becoming imbalanced.
Well, as I hadn't been up to date on drones lately, I didn't know that. But ummm...well, let's just say it's good to know the radius of delivery is only ten miles. It's a good idea, but I think a stiff breeze could knock it way off course if that's it's mode of steering. Bit different from the control of a helicopter.
Not really that far removed from actual heli's, the Chinook uses a similar system but with two rotors instead of the 4/8 of civilian models.

Besides the FAA will be creating guidelines for what weather you could operate in and modern drones are surprisingly hard to crash unless you are doing something retarded/awesome like pulling off a re-creation of the Star Wars trench run in poor conditions.
You make a highly-valid point. Can't have them accidentally knocking into people's houses or something.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I foresee a large number or small electric helicopter components coming up for sale online in the near future.

WAIT A SEC! Oh crap Terminator judgement day is coming!!

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
"Rudolph the red nosed strike drone..."
"Oh Christmas Drone, Oh Christmas Drone..."
"I'm dreaming of a drone Christmas..."

Now all we need is some artist to draw Santa's sled being pulled by predator drones.

Are you naughty or nice? Naughty children will get ... EXTERMINATED!!!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Maybe they're working on building an automated robotic workforce because their abysmal working conditions are putting off anyone who has ever worked there before. I know I wouldn't go back if they paid me double.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Strazdas said:
GPS is actaully VERY precise. Its just that civilians do not get acess to precise coordinates. Actually the sattelites randomize the localtion a bit when sending the signal intentionally, thats why standing still you can be "jumping around". this is intentional and is made so that civilians wouldnt build a GPS guided missiles.
If amazon has acess to precise GPS (doubtful), then they can do a lot of precision landing with that. if they combine it with sattelite visual to crosscheck the GPS, they can autmate pretty much anything there. Thing is, private company wont get acess to either of the two.
That is still in place? I thought they lifted that ban a few years ago

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
loa said:
Yeah no.
Unless people have special drone mailboxes so those things have a fixed place where the package is safe to deliver to, I see packages getting stolen left and right, deliveries on rooftops of skyscrapers, in pools and in the middle of streets.
It depends on where you live, I guess. The video showed a very middle to upper-middle class suburban home. There would be little difference between a drone delivery and a normal delivery where I live. I don't get home until around 5:30 pm and routinely have packages waiting for me on my front porch. I've never had a single thing stolen. I think Amazon would just need to adjust allowable locations depending on the number of stolen packages.

But, yeah, if something like this became normal, you probably would see special small "landing pads" on roofs or whatever.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
forget people stealing them.......what happens when one of them crash lands on a busy highway or street in front of a large truck and causes a pile up with multiple deaths.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
This reeks the makings of a new type of piracy... Given how light they have to be and how they're unmanned, I'd say it's going to be rather easy to knock one of these things out of the sky and claim whatever items they're carrying. They could put in self-defense mechanisms, but by then people will have the wireless encrpyptions figured out, and instead hijack and safely land them.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
If a drone malfunctions and crashes into civilians the media will have a field day. Otherwise this is a really cool idea and PR stunt.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ok having read the comments you are all missing the real fun here the calls to customer service.

"Amazon customer support this is *insert name* how can I help you?"

"Your fucking drone put my package on my roof!! It is a 3 story building how the hell am I supposed to get that down?"

"ummmmm...."

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
There are so many problems pointed out here with obviously no solutions. I mean, they put out a minute and twenty second video about it, so we effectively know all they've put into it, the design specs, and anything else that can be thought of. I mean, it's not like Amazon has an entire R&D team working on this, figuring out potential problems with this and creating viable solutions. That'd just be crazy.

Honestly, I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves with the criticism here. How many of these do you think people are honestly going to shoot down? How often does someone see a car in the street and fire a couple rounds into it? These will mostly be operating in urban areas, so shooting at it will obviously draw a lot of unwanted attention.

Sarasena

Oct 9, 2013
I can see people trying all sorts of things to try and catch these robots and steal their packages. Not sure how effective at it they will be, though.

Cool!

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
First thought: Bwwaaahhhhaaaaahhhhhhaahhaahahahaha. Funny stuff. Good joke.
After realizing it's not an extremely late April Fools gag: Huh, they're going to extreme lengths to get us to sign up for Prime.
Upon closer examination: This thing wont be able to carry some of the heavier items. Not saying a fridge or telly or anything like that, but a heavy overcoat or something. Also hope more thought and improvements go into these things. They're onto something here.

Overall - Bwwaaahhhhaaaaahhhhhhaahhaahahahaha.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
slash2x said:
Ok having read the comments you are all missing the real fun here the calls to customer service.

"Your fucking drone put my package on my roof!! It is a 3 story building how the hell am I supposed to get that down?"

"ummmmm...."
'We'll contact the department that handles specific Drone issues, they will have another drone dispatched to pick it up'

or something along those lines.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
l3o2828 said:
slash2x said:

"ummmmm...."
'We'll contact the department that handles specific Drone issues, they will have another drone dispatched to pick it up'

"OK your second drone tried to land on my slanted roof and is now a twisted wreck in my gutters! AND MY PACKAGE IS STILL ON THE ROOF!! WTF!?"

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
l3o2828 said:
slash2x said:

"ummmmm...."

"That damn rescue drone crashed and chopped up my neighbour's pet rabbit!"

Seriously though I can see some potential for this kind of technology for some courier tasks, delivering packages to and from blood and organ banks for instance. For every day parcel delivery? Not so sure.