Amazon versus Gamestop: Which to use?

wierdman51

Apr 24, 2009
I have never used Amazon for anything, but i have heard great things about it. I like Gamestop, but I have no idea if I will be able to get TES: Skyrim when it comes out even if I preorder, due to the fact that I live in a heavily populated city, over 1 million people, and our GS often does not order enough copies for everyone cause they are all highly incompetent here in Florida.
So I was wondering whether you guys may think that i should use Amazon or GS to order Skyrim. tell me why everyone thinks Amazon is so much better than GS, or why GS is better than Amazon for getting games, and solely that purpose.

I think this is the right forum, I didnt know if I should use this, or "Gaming".

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
I generally use Amazon because I usually buy games that are older and therefore not as readily stocked in game stores.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I use Gamestop, I personally dislike buying things online, I like physically buying things because at the moment the money is exchanged I instantly own the product and will physically receive it.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I love amazon. They normally have better prices, deals, and other things then Gamestop in my opinion. Of course, it's much better because I got a free year of the Amazon Prime membership from being a student, which means I never have to pay S&H and get everything in two days. Gamestop is just like any other store for the most part, and I doubt you'll have a hard time finding Skyrim somewhere in your city.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I generally go with amazon for games and books... but like so many others, I rarely buy new games. I'm usually looking for something old and obscure that I just discovered.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
I'm quite a big Amazon fan and, living in the UK, don't have access to a GameStop. So I'd go for Amazon :p

Just a little thing: Doesn't this sort of thread perfectly fit the stereotype for a Poll thread? Maybe a poll would've been a nice idea :)

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'd generally say there's no reason not to trust Amazon, I've only ever had one problem ordering anything online and that was from GAME, the UK equivalent of Gamestop, not Amazon. For a while I was boycotting Amazon because for a short time they hosted a sick propaganda book advocating adult-child sex (it got removed quickly after the news got out) but that was over a year ago now so I've decided to forgive them for that.

Najos

Aug 4, 2008
Well, if you're buying for console, I'd say Amazon or even a big retailer like Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc. would be a better option than Gamestop. For some reason people seem to ignore the big retail chains when it comes to new release games.

If you're buying for PC, I'd just get it for Steam.

Edit: I only had ONE problem with Amazon and I was ordering some books for school. I got them (stupidly) from an unproven seller and by the time I realized I hadn't received my books it was too late to order more and have them for the first week of class. Apparently they shipped them to the wrong address or something when I contacted them by e-mail. They offered to send them again, but I just got a refund and bit the bullet at the bookstore.

So yeah, spend the extra two dollars on the guy with 99% positive ratings versus the new seller, I say.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I frequent my local Gamestop and I enjoy going there but I was recently browsing Amazon and I saw some amazing prices on games. I think I'm gonna make Amazon my number one place for games now.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I tend to buy games from a store since I would rather support the smaller buisness's it costs a little more somtimes but at least I know I am doing my part to get the economy fixed up.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
If gamestop doesn't have the game I want I use amazon, I have never gotten a bad purchase from amazon but gamestop sometimes forgets to even put the disks in the box! I'm not joking, it's happened to me twice so we gotta drive back.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I buy alot from Gamestop because I like buying the physical game and not have to wait for the game to be shipped to me. I also have a power up card with gamestop so I get deals on most of the things I buy. But I don't use Amazon except for very obscure band cds and there is a preowned game store where I live that has almost any old game you can think of for dirt cheap and I go there for my older games so amazon has little use for me.

Apr 15, 2011
Amazon by a long shot. It's better in almost every way.

-Better prices along with quick deals
-Good customer service
-Cheap shipping
-Its inventory is huge, along with third-party merchants you can buy from for the rare stuff.
-Pre-ordering is free (in the case of games, it's $1 for release date shipping)

This is of course my opinion (I cringed at how much of an advertisement my post sounds like >.>), but my experience with Amazon has been much better.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I know not of this Gamestop. Try comparing the prices. Amazon are usually quick with delivery and are reliable.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
wierdman51 said:
I have never used Amazon for anything, but i have heard great things about it. I like Gamestop, but I have no idea if I will be able to get TES: Skyrim when it comes out even if I preorder, due to the fact that I live in a heavily populated city, over 1 million people, and our GS often does not order enough copies for everyone cause they are all highly incompetent here in Florida.
So I was wondering whether you guys may think that i should use Amazon or GS to order Skyrim. tell me why everyone thinks Amazon is so much better than GS, or why GS is better than Amazon for getting games, and solely that purpose.

I think this is the right forum, I didnt know if I should use this, or "Gaming".
If you preorder at Gamestop, you get a copy, period. They might only hold it for a set amount of time, if demand is particularly high, but it will be put aside for you. You can also order online at Gamestop if you'd rather.

Amazon is a great service, so if you'll be spending cash at both - as opposed to store credit, for example - then either choice is just fine.