Ambient music

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
What is your take on ambient music? Do you like it or dislike it? What to you consider to be ambient music? Your favourite artists and songs? And so on...
I want to ask that because I like ambient music dark ambient in particular and I have become quite obsessed with it lately.
Lustmord, Brian Eno, Coil, Robert Rich are the ones that come to mind right away also some of songs by Boards of Canada, Tangerine Dream, Kelly Bailey, Eluvium and MoozE. There are plenty more of course.

I think that's about enough

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I'm sure there is a more specific definition of Ambient, but I usually view it as music that can be played in the background, it doesn't require thought and usually the lyrics are incoherent, and most of the time it is meant to be relaxing. I put a lot of Jazz, Classical, Post Rock and Electronica in this category.

Also put this in your earhole

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I was in a thread and someone mentioned they had a recording from Knights Of the Old Republiv of the hum from the Ebon Hawke on loop, with its intermitent beeps and stuff. Tomorrow I think I shall go on an epic quest to see if I can find something similar, (Who do you think I am? The columbus of the internet?)

Actually I'm listening to that Dune music right now. That is spectacular.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
I generally think of it as instrumental music, or something I would play in a really cliché position, like sitting on my windowsill and staring at the moon. Something like...

<youtube=InFbBlpDTfQ>

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
TeeBs said:
I'm sure there is a more specific definition of Ambient, but I usually view it as music that can be played in the background, it doesn't require thought and usually the lyrics are incoherent, and most of the time it is meant to be relaxing. I put a lot of Jazz, Classical, Post Rock and Electronica in this category.

Also put this in your earhole
Thank you, it was beautiful.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Ambient is regularily playing here, mainly because of.... well, you know that old quote "Ambient should be as interesting as it is ignorable".... often, i have music playing simply as background atmosphere... bit like room decoration... and ambient fits that requirement.

As for my definition of ambient - i mean that term by its original meaning - so, not simply "atmospheric music"... but instead just "sound" that is designed to create a certain atmosphere and state of mind, and nothing beyond that.

I don't really have "favorite artists", and especially not favorite songs (how is the later even possible? For starters, ambient typically isn't "songs", and secondly most ambient albums are done in a way where the albums is one large track, divided up into chapters). Though, there are two artists which get played more often than others: Vir Unis and Stars Of The Lid.

Damnit, wanted to link to the Video of Apreludes in C Sharp Major from SOTL.... but it apparently the web forgot it already again. Let this be a lesson to you: Whatever you have not downloaded to your harddrive, will go away. The web is NOT a good global memory.... actually, it suffers from alzheimer all the time.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Brian Eno is pretty much the best ambient musician, in my own opinion, but there are others.

Here are a few of my favourites, though I'm not really sure if these even fit into your criteria of "ambient" but they're relaxing enough to me. I'm sure there are lots of better ones you can find though:

If you want more suggestions, just ask. That's about all I got.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Lyx said:
Damnit, wanted to link to the Video of Apreludes in C Sharp Major from SOTL.... but it apparently the web forgot it already again. Let this be a lesson to you: Whatever you have not downloaded to your harddrive, will go away. The web is NOT a good global memory.... actually, it suffers from alzheimer all the time.
Found it!

http://www.podcast.tv/video-episodes/stars-of-the-lid-apreludes-in-c-sharp-maj-7653890.html

(Hint: Do not skip forward - the slow and repetitive lead in is necessary for the later effect to work. Also, you may want to set the vid to fullscreen)

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Some background tunes from my work music. While some of them might not be specifically ambient, the line between ambient and alot of other music has been fading it seems.