AMC The Walking Dead Spinoff Gets Pilot, Probably Zombies

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
They say in the series that all are infected by air...
So any living that dies will eventually turn into an undead.

But once people catch on to that, it STILL wouldn't be enough to cause global/national collapse.
These types of slow zombies are simply scientifically unfeasable.
Especially since they'd freeze solid if temps get too low, etc. etc. etc.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Clearly moon beams are the real cause of it. You can't beat those dreaded moon beams!

Scorpid said:
As much as I love the rural south (I live there) and even more so central Georgia I think the new series should try taking place somewhere else. Like I've always wondered how a mega city like Hong Kong or Tokyo or New York would fair in a zombo outbreak. Would skyscrapers become forts or prisons? How would hazards of a unattended infrastructure affect those stuck in such cities. Zombies would be a constant threat since there are no real open fields to lose them in or see them for miles around but supplies would be plentiful.
I'd love that too, but there are two major problems which will prevent such a thing from happening.

1. I imagine that the costs of filming in such a large city (or even using CGI to create one) would be huge.

2. Studios have time and time again proven that they believe the American public to be too dumb to accept a film or tv series which isn't set in the USA. Sure, they might set it in New York, but am I the only one who's bored of seeing New York blown up?
Shanghai, Hong Kong or Tokyo would be awesome, but HBO just wouldn't even consider such an option.

Did any of you read about one of the reasons for the Akira live action film being in stasis? Apparently they originally wanted to set it in Tokyo (as in the comic/anime) but the studio was scared to fund a movie which isn't set in the US. Apparently Americans will refuse to watch a film which doesn't directly involve their master race and land of perfection and liberty.
I, on the other hand, have a higher opinion of Americans and believe that they would be able to handle a movie set outside their lands.
The second option was to have it set in Neo-New York, which had been destroyed during WW3 and was being rebuilt by Japan. But the very idea that the US could ever lose was so detestable that this also killed the project. Hollywood really needs to accept that there is a world outside of the USA and the people there also like to see films set in their countries.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
hhmmm cool idea, i mean i really liked the mini episodes that come out during a season. But the wlaking dead for me the last half of last season just draggged so bad for no real reason and ended with rick talking such stupid crap. Dont wanna risk spoiler for anyone but just left me thinking. really ? shut up rick. i waited weeks of boring filler eps for that.

Would be nice to see whats going on in other parts of the world. I mean some place had to have held out.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Yeah, zombies seems very unlikely to cause an apocalypse to me as well. The germans had tanks, guns and flamethrowers and we still fight them off.

Zombies on the other hand are literally less dangerous than a dog. They move slow and are stupid. A person with a fullplate armor is literally immune from all dangers of the zombies in TWD.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
You know the show creator Frank Darabont wanted to show the story of the man in the tank. In fact, he wanted several episodes where the story would go and focus on different people in the past during the zombie apocalypse that shows other people dealing with it. However that would have cost money and AMC fired him, the man who made Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile, because he wanted his zombie show to have a respectable budget. So fuck AMC. The man was working way below what he was worth too and so was everybody else involved.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Would have made them demons, that way its not more of the same. Remember the movies Demons 1 & 2? Now that as a tv series would be interesting.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I can believe that zombies might be able to overtake cities ("Don't shoot her, that's my wife! Oh dear, she's bitten me!"), but I don't see how they would overtake the military. In fact, in movies like Shawn of the Dead, it's shown that a militarized force would make short work of the outbreak. I prefer these kinds of stories, where there IS hope, and humanity WILL survive, just the characters may not know it yet, and everyone keeps talking about killing themselves.

However, there is also the zombie model about an initial infection to which a minority of the population is immune. This infection would zombify healthy people, thus giving the virus a running start. Anyone who survived would become carriers, and succumb to the virus upon their death. Similar systems exist in Left 4 Dead and I am Legend.

Anyway, the Walking Dead (and the zombie genre in general)has a love for gore and brutal violence that I find unsettling. If I want survival horror, I'd rather go with something like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, where the fear is more about death, the ultimate loss of power and identity, rather than the simple fear of being physically harmed.

monkeighy

Apr 30, 2009
Li Mu said:
Clearly moon beams are the real cause of it. You can't beat those dreaded moon beams!

Scorpid said:
As much as I love the rural south (I live there) and even more so central Georgia I think the new series should try taking place somewhere else. Like I've always wondered how a mega city like Hong Kong or Tokyo or New York would fair in a zombo outbreak. Would skyscrapers become forts or prisons? How would hazards of a unattended infrastructure affect those stuck in such cities. Zombies would be a constant threat since there are no real open fields to lose them in or see them for miles around but supplies would be plentiful.
I'd love that too, but there are two major problems which will prevent such a thing from happening.

1. I imagine that the costs of filming in such a large city (or even using CGI to create one) would be huge.
Films like 28 Days Later and I Am Legend have proved that it is possible to set these movies in major cities it just makes filming more challenging. Most of the city scenes in 28 Days Later were filmed very early in the morning when the streets were empty. For I Am Legend they did that too but also paid the city large amounts of money to be able to close streets for extended periods.

Hollywood really needs to accept that there is a world outside of the USA and the people there also like to see films set in their countries.
Hollywood is very aware of the need for international appeal which is why you will notice a trend for blockbuster movies to have part of the plot based in China. This enables them so sell the movie much more easily to the Chinese market as well as fulfilling the Chinese governments rules about which films can be shown.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
monkeighy said:
Films like 28 Days Later and I Am Legend have proved that it is possible to set these movies in major cities it just makes filming more challenging. Most of the city scenes in 28 Days Later were filmed very early in the morning when the streets were empty. For I Am Legend they did that too but also paid the city large amounts of money to be able to close streets for extended periods.
Hollywood is indeed getting better at acknowledging that there exists a world outside of the US, but usually it's exists in the movie simply to allow the American hero to save some country which isn't the US.
My favourite nonsensical moment was how Bruce Willis had to save Russia from terrorists in the last Die Hard film. You know, because Russia doesn't have a police force, or military. Good thing Bruce was around to save Russia.
Although, lets face it, no Die Hard film after 3 was worth existing.

---oops, I quoted the wrong part of your post. But you understand what I am saying, right?

seris

Oct 14, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Tarkand said:
What you want is World War Z, not the Walking Dead :p.
Well, actually World War Z was written as interviews of the survivors, so yeah, it was character driven as well. And I'm still waiting for a World War Z film.
theres been a world war Z film for almost a year.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
seris said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Tarkand said:
What you want is World War Z, not the Walking Dead :p.
Well, actually World War Z was written as interviews of the survivors, so yeah, it was character driven as well. And I'm still waiting for a World War Z film.
theres been a world war Z film for almost a year.
Brad Pitt vs the 28 Days Later runners ain't a World War Z film.