AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI

It's a sad day for PC nerds, as AMD [http://www.amd.com/] has confirmed that it's taking the venerable ATI brand out behind the woodshed and sending it off to hardware heaven.

Founded in 1985, nVidia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI], it remained an Industry Playa throughout. But in 2006 the company was acquired by AMD in a deal worth more than $5 billion and while the name has been maintained in the years since, those days are now over.

AMD has confirmed with the Tech Report [http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19547] that it intends to eliminate the brand from future product lines. A "major motivator" for the decision is the upcoming release of the Fusion line, which will combine CPU and GPU technology on a single chip. AMD also said that it is "on a roll" and making significant headway against nVidia, shipping more discrete graphics units than its competitor in the past quarter and also coming out ahead with some "high-profile design wins."

The company's own internal research also indicated that consumers who know something about graphics cards, which is to say the people most likely to buy them, are aware of the Radeon brand name and that their preference for AMD triples when they know about the AMD/ATI merger. This, according to the company, "indicates 'permission' to consolidate under the AMD brand." Current Radeon hardware will continue to carry the ATI name to help avoid confusion but beginning later this year, new products will be released sporting an AMD Radeon badge.

ATI may have been considered a terrible idea at various points throughout its history but there were at least as many moments of shining brilliance and if you've been a PC gamer for any length of time, you've almost certainly used at least one of its products somewhere along the line. I've had several, most recently the Radeon 9700, seriously outdated by current standards but a fantastic card in its day, and even well past it. In all honesty, the end of ATI is probably long overdue, but with all that water under the bridge it's still a little bit sad to see it go.

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
i'm not really that surprised. And personally i don't think it will affect a majority of consumers since there is a lot of affiliation of ATI to AMD anyway

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
WHAT! just when theyve started to produce some kick ass - beat nvidia - cards! the HD4800 series brought me back over from nvidia (also due to the fact nvidia are churning out cards like there going out of fashion and stickin a stupid price tag on them)... this is a sad day indeed

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
so i take it my ATI card is now an unsupported piece of crap?
That depends more on who made it rather than whether the chipset is ATI/AMD, it's still the same company even if the brand name has changed.

Some ATI/AMD card makers support old products for years, others, well... don't.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Sad day indeed, still I love both companies and always tried to support them, so from a consumerist whore's point of view I'll love AMD graphics as much as I did ATi's.

Ultratwinkie said:
Wow you must stay so fit with all that jumping to conclusions.
:D

Seriously, no I don't think so, part of the GPU arms race for the last decade has always been about who can support and update their entire range of Graphics Cards, it not just about how many transistors on a board but also how efficient the old Cards get.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I always like ATI more than NVIDIA anyway they were cheaper...

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Bummer. While I've had ATI cards and I've had AMD cpu's (well, technically, one of each), in both cases I went back to Intel and nVidia.

Still, it was nice to have ATI lighting the fire under nVidia's ass. All nVidia fans (and I've been one since they were lurking in the shadow of 3dfx) needs to be grateful to ATI and its customers for that.

Apr 28, 2008
No!

I still use my 3850 card, I've been using it for 2 and a half years now. These things are built to last. I love 'em, and am sad to see them go.

Although would this mean that any cards still on the market are going to be a lot cheaper now?

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Wait, if I remembered correctly they didn't support laptop cards anyway. (Was no info on their website for my mates vaio :< )

OT:

Radeon was owned by AMD? I always thought it was owned by ATI, oh well thats a bit of news.

Ultratwinkie said:
GIJames said:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!
nvidia is overpriced and is so badly constructed it lasts only 2 years.
Really? ALL my ATI cards have died within a year, and my nvidia cards (which I treat like trash) have lasted me more than 3, I am currently running my old 8800GT at the moment. And Overpriced? GTX 460, helloooooo?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
All the ATI cards I have had in the past were pretty bad. The onboard chip on my laptop (ATI) is crap too.

I am saddened though that they will cease to be. RIP ATI.

inflamessoilwork

Jul 14, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
nvidia is overpriced and is so badly constructed it lasts only 2 years.

Tell that to my 8800, which I got soon after launch in 2006, and is still running strong to this day

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
So wait... they're just changing the name to Radeon or have I got that wrong?

Anyway, NVIDIA ftw; better linux support.