AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Does that mean the card in my computer now has an extinct card in it? Sweeet!

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Misleading article, had me going for a minute there that ATI was being completely scrapped. This would have been horrendous (and bizzare) news for the PC gaming world due to Nvidia prices being almost uncapped due to lack of competition.

Just losing the name however is a somewhat pointless stunt which I imagine will change very little.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Darktau said:
Ultratwinkie said:
so i take it my ATI card is now an unsupported piece of crap?
Wait, if I remembered correctly they didn't support laptop cards anyway. (Was no info on their website for my mates vaio :< )

OT:

Radeon was owned by AMD? I always thought it was owned by ATI, oh well thats a bit of news.

Ultratwinkie said:
GIJames said:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!
nvidia is overpriced and is so badly constructed it lasts only 2 years.
Really? ALL my ATI cards have died within a year, and my nvidia cards (which I treat like trash) have lasted me more than 3, I am currently running my old 8800GT at the moment. And Overpriced? GTX 460, helloooooo?
I've only ever bought 1 nvidia card, I prefer ATI, but none of mine have ever crapped out. They were all still running when I replaced them, and I normally go 2+ years before replacing parts if I have to. Never had an AMD chip fail on me, though I've had a couple of Intel chips get really, really hot. I switched back to AMD about 5 years ago after testing some of the Intel chips, and I've never looked back. I might change again to see if Intel is any better, but I'm comfortable with AMD at the moment.

rheianna

Mar 23, 2009
So it basically comes down to the problem that quite a few escapists just skim a headline and don't read anything else, have no clue about hardware and can't be bothered to do some research? Well in that case, back to lurking.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Screw ATi anyways, piece of crap card can't even work right with this VIA chipset, and is the reason why i got a memory dump five seconds into playing ANYTHING.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Lawyer105 said:
Psychosocial said:
Everyone and their grandmother knows that Nvidia is and always has been better anyways. So it's not exactly any big news.
Rubbish. I haven't had a single nVidia product that installed easily and/or worked properly EVER. I'm seriously bummed by this, because I ONLY use ATI products.
By contrast, I worked for many years at a lan center with 30+ computers all set up, and back when the 9800 card was being released, ATI sent us 15 cards prelaunch to get the name out. Within a month 10 of the cards had burnt out and ATI tech support was nonexistant (to the point of us calling, being placed on hold and the line just dropping out).

After an additional month of issues, we contacted nVidia who also had a new card coming out (don't remember which one, GForce4 something) and they replaced all of our ATI cards with their own as part of a new promotion. To THIS day, most of those cards are still functioning, though they are shelved as backup units.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Nvidia is a nice brand

My friend is even playing STALKER call of pripyat on my 7900GTX that I got back in 2006.
I replaced it with a 9800GTX, 28 months ago and it still works like new

all in all ATi vs Nvidia is silly, AMD's money just gets drained away by the CPU business getting it's ass handed to it by Intel which will ultimatly kill Nvidia by never selling them the x86 licence

The only real winner is Intel

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I like how all the Nvidia users are just coming in to bash ATI and AMD products without even reading the article and making brash statements.

I like ATI, my Mobility Radeon HD4330 is a tough little integrated card. It can run everything from Rome Total War to Mass Effect 2!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I've been creating and maintaining custom PCs for nearly 10 years now.

There is no dispute in my mind: For all practical purposes, ATI was no better than nVidia, and vice versa.
Yes, there was some variation, sometimes ATI would have a good year, sometimes there was a recall. Sometimes great hardware got lazy, shitty drivers because their company had developed a newer, much better model before their current model was even on sale.

But there was NEVER any indication (not even sales figures) that suggested that one manufacturer was strictly better than the other.

So ATI is just undergoing a changing of the colors...fine. I hope their new product continues to be progressive.

tgcPheonix

Feb 10, 2010
gl1koz3 said:
They just renamed ATI to AMD. Nothing to see here. Move along...

Why the fuck is the title so misleading? I almost choked to death.
couldn't have put it better my self

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
Do4600 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
GIJames said:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!
I've never had a Nvidia card go out on me, which manufacturer did you buy from?
was already installed in a PC i got. the sodering was shit and it literally EXPLODED while playing fallout 3. nice first impression. then they wanted me to pay and upwards of 100$ for the card not including the other upgrades i had to get to run it. ATI made a better offer. ATI always makes reliable, and cheap cards. turns out the factory in taiwan fucked up, and billions of cards had to be recalled.
Wait a sec............you're blaming Nvidia......for a manufacturing error...on a prebuilt computer?

You do know Nvidia only makes the chipsets right? The manufacturer builds and is responsible for the circuit board, memory, cooling and overall quality of the card; and if a system is prebuilt they are going to go with the cheapest manufacturer they can find so they can pull as much profit from the computer as possible. Meaning your Nvidia card was most likely built by the lowest bidder and nothing you should judge the company on.

makr

Apr 3, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"It's a sad day for PC nerds, as AMD has confirmed that it's taking the venerable ATI brand out behind the woodshed and sending it off to hardware heaven."

That's the very first paragraph in the article, which also appears on the front page.
I meant the first paragraph in the article's body. But even phrases like "a sad day for PC nerds" and "hardware heaven" in the lead heavily imply that this is about more than just a different name.

Most of the comments on the first page were misinformed about what had actually happened, and I thought clarifying the title might help. The confusion seems to have died down now so I don't even know why I'm writing this. Apparently not.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I use Nvidia, but it's still sad to see ATI go. Requiescat in pace, you crazy chip.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
So AMD-ATI changes name to AMD? Nothing to see here folks, move along. Radeon cards aren't going anywhere (except inside your next portable CPU maybe) and are still kicking Nvidian asses in the bangs per buck category. Really misleading title there Andy. You scared me half to death.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
THAT IS A TERRIBLE TITLE. and from the looks of the comments everyone is very confused. the name ati is going away, but amd will still be making gpus, just under a different name. its not really a huge deal.

Edit: on topic, im glad to see its not actually gone. ive had one nvidia chip and 3 ati chips, and the next gpu i get will be ati (maybe amd, im not sure if the laptop will change in the time i save up to get it) i like ati

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
makr said:
Can someone please at least change the title of this story to "AMD Pulls the Plug on ATI brand-name" or something?
"It's a sad day for PC nerds, as AMD has confirmed that it's taking the venerable ATI brand out behind the woodshed and sending it off to hardware heaven."

That's the very first paragraph in the article, which also appears on the front page.

Anything else I can not do for you?
thats misleading. you really should rephrase. an ati brand makes me think ATI, the cards. i dunno, i think its confusing.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
GIJames said:
It's about time.

Anyway, NVIDIA FTW!
I have had the same nvidia card for 5/6 years now and its only just starting to show signs of its age.

Marcu5

Jun 24, 2009
Yay! Now NVIDIA can put whatever price they want on their cards...

why do i fail so hard every time i do anything today?

anywho... who cares for a name? seriously