American Box Art Sucks

Agh-a-meme-knottle

Nov 9, 2008
Uncle_Brainhorn said:
Translation: hay guise im american but i hate americans too am i cool yet please dont hate me
Someone posts about the trouble they take to avoid the bad taste of their country's culture and you assume they're doing it all to impress you? Someone writes and thinks in correct English and you feel they need to be "translated," as you put it, into sub-literate net cliches about adolescent insecurities that never once came up in the original post? Doesn't matter whether you yourself are British or American -- that's just stereotype-spewing ignorance.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
Agh-a-meme-knottle said:
Uncle_Brainhorn said:
Translation: hay guise im american but i hate americans too am i cool yet please dont hate me
Someone posts about the trouble they take to avoid the bad taste of their country's culture and you assume they're doing it all to impress you? Someone writes and thinks in correct English and you feel they need to be "translated," as you put it, into sub-literate net cliches about adolescent insecurities that never once came up in the original post? Doesn't matter whether you yourself are British or American -- that's just stereotype-spewing ignorance.
I like how you changed that last part to be less retarded. It looks better now.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
American marketers, like all other employees, must do their work in a way that will please their intended audience. Which unfortunately aren't the end customers. The marketers' real audience is their own company's executives, and the presentation of their work is their ultimate opportunity to be recognized.

Because they have 1 opportunity per product, it's a formal presentation, and all the people watching are really important to the marketers' careers, they will always choose something that has a clear message and an immediate visual impact. It's not like the executives actually understand what the game is about - the just have a brief to go on and are there to rubberstamp whatever looks like it will sell.

And it's easy to hold up a competitor's product with flashy colors, Chuck Rockjaw kicking @ss in the foreground, and half-dressed women in the background next to your spare, deeply meaningful, artistically pure evocation of the game's true character and make the subjective evaluation that your sales numbers didn't meet expectations because "their cover just looks better". No American marketer is going to risk career suicide in order to create art when they can put out something that looks good on the shelf and adds job security.

DIEDIEDIE765

Jun 30, 2010
I think it's just because the people behind it don't care and neither do a lot of the people on our side of the pond. I know I don't, really, but I've never been shopping for games, I just buy the one I'm out to get. I don't personally see any real problem with American box art, but I do prefer PAL box art.

meszuge-sofe

May 29, 2011
sorry if i repeat sb's comment, but i wont's go through 400 of them.
the cover of Ico's pal version, in my view, quite obviously relates
to the giorgio de CHIROCO's aesthetics.
...................................................... משוגע־סאָפֿע

ps. "sticking a fake nose/moustache disguise on the mona lisa or something"..
that's marcel DUCHAMP and it's not a crime

Saggers

Sep 13, 2008
I didn't have too much of a problem with this at first. American box art was bad and european box art was good. That was until we europeans started using the american box art too! Most notable in final fantasy 13. Despite what you may think of the actual game, I was looking forward to add another classy white background and logo to my collection of white background and logos. but no....

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
I really dislike the way they need to make everything both more angry and macho. Happiness is a good thing. Angry space marines are not.

bLAZay00

Dec 10, 2011
You realize Americans immediately insisted on crapping up the statue before it even hit the ocean. American destruction of art is nothing new.

Brett Bowling

May 12, 2012
I always thought Xenoblade Chronicles and Eternal Darkness had real classy box art. The prob;em is that I can't really tell what kind of games they are. Illustrations of the enviroments definitly are prettier at least to me as a collecter they do. But the box art is there not for me but for the regular folks. They walk through their local retailer and see a box caled dishonered and has glaring Micheal Bay transformer on it and they might get curious and go look it up on the internet then decide if they want it. Alternativly, they would see a book named Xenoblade Chronicles and say "what a lovely meadow" and that would be it. Game ethusist already know what's coming out and whether or not they want it. That's why limited editions get the classy box art instead of retail versions.