American Box Art Sucks

orfidius

Feb 21, 2011
It may have to do with the attitude we approach box art with as opposed to the attitude other countries do. American Game companies (or the advertising firms they might hire to design the box art) don't care as much about the box art. So what you end up with is a cookie cutter "by-the-American-advertising-book" art that holds no artistic merit and doesn't give a clear impression of the game. I also don't just believe its just about identifying the main character because some of the American art is pretty bland in contrast to their international counterparts .Its pretty obvious that they're just not putting as much effort into it.

orfidius

Feb 21, 2011
My guess would be fear regarding foreign cultures. They want to be careful when bringing in foreign advertisement because they're not sure if what they bring in is going to attract audiences or alienate them because the art is just too different. So general policy is to 'Americanize' it, then slap it on the shelf.

raja79

Feb 24, 2011
For an example of good American box art (not game related) check out The Criterion Collection (www.criterion.com). A distinct lack of floaty facial close-up collages there.

musim

Nov 22, 2009
I live in Oklahoma and box art is probably the most disappointing thing to me ever. This in turn makes me want to ignore the rest of the world since they get such better box art. I bet the government really controls the marketing division of America to get us not to pay attention while they blow up the rest of the world because we don't want to be depressed at how shitty our box art is. I mean, its really bad and seeing it better someone else is almost enough to make me buy it digitally. Almost.

Righteous_Brian

Feb 3, 2011
I've actually been on this topic for awhile now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHM1nTocNwM

Cover Art Fail! It's good to look back at box art.

MLChanges

Feb 26, 2011
I've been thinking about how bad movie art(and game box art, etc.)is ever since I saw Crank 2 next to The Chase in the Netflix lineup. They're exactly(and I REALLY mean exactly)the same. If you've got Netflix take alook. Look at those and then check out the art for some Akira Kurosawa movies and just see which stands out and which blends in with the background noise.

xilix

Feb 28, 2011
Why do you assume that all Americans actually like the marketing that we receive? I myself can't even watch American television because it's obnoxious, pretentious, condescending and insults peoples intelligence. It's like watching a strobe light. I watch British television using a proxy.

No, I'm not kidding. I actually use expat shield to watch British television through iplayer. It's bliss. There is nothing quite like watching TV and not getting a seizure. Sure there are British programs that are shite, but at least it's watchable shite. I have a 40inch 1080p LCD HDTV, and I literally don't even have a cable line going into it. I use it as a computer monitor.

Yes, there are stupid fat people in America. We get it. But for the sake of us few who have an I.Q. above 100, try to think about what it's like to live here among the morons. We do exist here, and no, we don't enjoy the marketing we are served. It's revolting.

Zyxzy

Apr 16, 2009
Don't you know? Being unable to conceive of your fellow man as anything other than mindless automatons who reject anything unbranded and not "trendy" is a requirement to get into marketing.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
xilix said:
Why do you assume that all Americans actually like the marketing that we receive? I myself can't even watch American television because it's obnoxious, pretentious, condescending and insults peoples intelligence. It's like watching a strobe light. I watch British television using a proxy.

No, I'm not kidding. I actually use expat shield to watch British television through iplayer. It's bliss. There is nothing quite like watching TV and not getting a seizure. Sure there are British programs that are shite, but at least it's watchable shite. I have a 40inch 1080p LCD HDTV, and I literally don't even have a cable line going into it. I use it as a computer monitor.

Yes, there are stupid fat people in America. We get it. But for the sake of us few who have an I.Q. above 100, try to think about what it's like to live here among the morons. We do exist here, and no, we don't enjoy the marketing we are served. It's revolting.
Translation: hay guise im american but i hate americans too am i cool yet please dont hate me

gnomebard

Jun 29, 2010
I agree with you yahtzee from a artistic standpoint. Looking at most of those covers I find the non-american one better. But I have to state that not all american box art sucks. Case in point Eat lead:

I actually bought Eat lead based off of the cover art. Or more accurately I bought it because the box art drew me in. Let me describe what I thought as I looked at the box in the store: Generic over the top shooter with generic name... maybe a bit TOO generic... wait is that guy on the left 2D? And I bought it and it's one of my favorite games.

No the gameplay is nothing new, but the overall game plot of a "Duke Nukem" style washed up game hero forced to fight for his life through his entire library of bad games is hilarious.

WynneL

Feb 23, 2011
I'm American, and I think the European Heavy Rain box art is the best by far. It looks subtly ominous and mysterious.

Subject7 said:
AAAARRRRGGHHH!!! >:[

Infamous 2 USA:

Infamous 2 UK:
Yeah, the UK version is seriously a crapload better there. Seriously, WTF is wrong with the US when it comes to box art? Not that it's good to buy a game based on the box art, but geez...