American Civil War/Revolution Games?

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
So, I suddenly really want to play a strategy game set during the Civil War or American Revolution. I've not heard of a really good one, and I don't want to play a cruddy History Channel licensed game. I would really like an RTS instead of turn based, but I'll try it if it's really good, preferably one with grand strategy elements.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
The History Channel ones are the only ones I've seen and those are terrible.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
I find both wars to be really boring. THe only wars I actually care for is World War II only becasue so many stories have come out of Nazis trying to find some supernatural way of beating the allies.

If you're looking for good ones though, I think History channel games pretty much dominate that particular time era for games.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Empire: Total War takes place around the revolution, it also has a campaign directly involving it.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Fanfic_warper said:
I find both wars to be really boring. THe only wars I actually care for is World War II only becasue so many stories have come out of Nazis trying to find some supernatural way of beating the allies.
I'm kind of burnt out on WWII. I've pretty much been playing Hearts of Iron for the last six months, and there's only so many times I can play the same broad strokes. Besides, I always play as the US so I never really get the full experience.

Hawgh said:
Empire: Total War takes place around the revolution, it also has a campaign directly involving it.
I know about the Revolution campaign, but I don't have a computer quite up to playing Empire in any way like good. Besides, I heard the Revolution campaign is incredibly bugged.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Age of Empires III (With the Warchiefs expansion) has a pretty fun American Revolution campaign.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
Fanfic_warper said:
You should look at the history of WW1.. It's pretty damn interesting.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
There was an excellent series of Civil War Turn Based Strategy games released in the 90's, starting with Robert E. Lee: Civil War General, and continuing with at least two more games, Civil War Generals and its sequel. They're old and hard to come by, but I'm pretty sure there are methods of getting them to work on modern versions of Windows if you can find them.

As for Revolutionary War era stuff, the only game I can think of (period; forget strategy games) is a mod for one of the Half Life games (I think it's the original) that turns it into a Revolutionary War era FPS. I don't know if it's any good, though.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Fanfic_warper said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Still pretty boring to me. It's more like a precursor to II.
You've got it backwards; II was an extension of I. You can trace the whole thing back to how badly Germany got screwed over at the end of the war.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
This is actually an idea I've had for a while now: a steampunk Civil War RTS. I'm seeing a Union that utilizes large city-crawlers that run on railroads, Confederates that must capture enemy resources to fuel their campaigns, and just to keep things interesting, mystically-powered Native Americans that want both sides dead so they can have their lands back.

(I have no intention of ever making this game historically accurate, in case you haven't noticed.)

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Fanfic_warper said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
You've got it backwards; II was an extension of I. You can trace the whole thing back to how badly Germany got screwed over at the end of the war.
At the risk of derailing my own thread, there's a line of thinking that suggests the Germans didn't get screwed enough. General Pershing was against the armistice, because he thought it opened the door for the Germans to later say they had not been beaten militarily and find a way to scapegoat another group (which they did). The reparations and sanctions were just enough to piss off the Germans, but not enough to really prevent them from rearming.

On topic, I found this game called American Conquest that takes place in the colonial era with an expansion for the Civil War. Does anybody have experience with this game?

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
StarCecil said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Fanfic_warper said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
At the risk of derailing my own thread, there's a line of thinking that suggests the Germans didn't get screwed enough. General Pershing was against the armistice, because he thought it opened the door for the Germans to later say they had not been beaten militarily and find a way to scapegoat another group (which they did). The reparations and sanctions were just enough to piss off the Germans, but not enough to really prevent them from rearming.

On topic, I found this game called American Conquest that takes place in the colonial era with an expansion for the Civil War. Does anybody have experience with this game?
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/americanconquest/review.html

Gamespot usually seem pretty accurate with their reviews, so give that a read. It looks pretty good actually, may pick it up myself.

Bob_Dobb

Aug 22, 2011
Darkest of days, but that's not very good. GUN and Red Dead Redemption are on the revolution.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Bob_Dobb said:
Darkest of days, but that's not very good. GUN and Red Dead Redemption are on the revolution.
Even though Darkest of days is an FPS and not an RTS, it's a great American revolution sim, since that's about the only damn place you ever go in the game.

And I'm not up to scratch on my American history (Being British and all), but what's the difference between the civil war and the revolution? I thought they were the same thing?

Bob_Dobb

Aug 22, 2011
Appleshampoo said:
Bob_Dobb said:
Even though Darkest of days is an FPS and not an RTS, it's a great American revolution sim, since that's about the only damn place you ever go in the game.

And I'm not up to scratch on my American history (Being British and all), but what's the difference between the civil war and the revolution? I thought they were the same thing?
Oh my bad I didn't realise he wanted an RTS.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Appleshampoo said:
Bob_Dobb said:

I think Darkest of Days takes place in the Civil War. The American Revolution was when the colonists separated from Britain to form the United States. The American Civil War occurred some ~100 years later, when the southern states separated from the US to form the Confederate States. War then ensued. You might hear of the American Civil War referred to as a revolution by revisionists, but in the northern US (where I'm from) you'll never hear it called that.