American Enterprise Institute Fellow Blames Cosplay For Poor Economy

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Being able to afford to costume and go to conventions to show off your costume without having a full time job to pay for it? Someone needs to write an article on how that's done.

NanoxVox

Dec 16, 2011
I see, so it's basically the "All nerds are manchildren who live in their parent's basement!" argument all over again but with the added dimension of "and they're wasting all our precious money!"

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I see it as a case where the fashion market needs to wake up. Cosplay-inspired casual wear, anyone?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Micalas said:
Anime, manga, and cosplay can be a pretty expensive hobby. I don't know if this is a product of the failing economy.
I'm with him. I go to conventions and I've heard people talk about what it took to make so-and-so.

The first thing is that, yeah, this can get expensive. And the more complicated it is, the more cost there will be.

Second, in order to be able to MAKE any of this stuff, the person must be able to sew and craft. This requires skill. Skills like these are marketable, since they can produce. Some people sell arts and crafts for a living. Some of them even do so at the conventions. This, to me, sounds like a stable economic system.

THIRD, just as an aside, it's not like none of these people hold jobs. In fact, this kind of action acts as a stress-reliever FROM a job. Everyone has a cut-off valve somewhere that they let the steam out with. If that includes creating a life-sized THWOMP and hauling it around a convention center (Actually happened.), then so be it.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Defective_Detective said:
Wait. This headline is entirely misleading!

This columnist is not blaming cosplayers for a failing economy. He is noting that there is a rise in escapist activity within the younger population when there are less opportunities for them in the real world.

He is saying cosplay is a symptom, not the cause!
Yep click bait headline works again.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Wow, DANGER- MUST SILENCE just demolished this thread. Bravo.

Coincidentally, I first saw this article via twitter from former Escapist's Editor-in-Chief Susan Arendt. Yeah, a lot of people in the thread were not happy. A lot of the article is a gross generalization of many things, but again the previous poster nailed it.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
10/10 would quote again.
As usual I came here to talk but you took every word and more out of my mouth. Fantastic post, I guess there are things you just can't learn by simply speaking the language. One of these days I might save up enough money to get a start and actually spend some time living in Japan.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009

This columnist is not blaming cosplayers for a failing economy. He is noting that there is a rise in escapist activity within the younger population when there are less opportunities for them in the real world.

This is the sum of what I got out of the article as well. I don't entirely believe that it is a valid assertion. My experiences with Cosplayers is that they are highly motivated and intelligent. Most of the really good ones make a living off of cosplay. They are not the type of people that are trying to escape reality.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
theSteamSupported said:
While I agree that the title is misleading, James Pethokoukis is still so wrong about this. He still implies that the rise of cosplay is a sign of how the bad the economy is, as if cosplaying is a negative symptom of the economic situation. He's basically saying "See what you did, Washington? You turned good, Chritian Americans into unmanly, childish japanophiles. The endtimes are coming."
And it didn't occur to him that what's happening in Japan isn't the same for America. Over there, they view anime and manga as kid's stuff and view anyone who still likes that stuff into their adulthoods as losers and outcasts.
Actually that's a bit backwards. Westerners are much more likely to consider anime "kids' stuff" (hence the Animation Age Ghetto trope), but people obsessing over them are usually only considered mildly weird. In Japan, anime is much less age-restricted, with there being shows that are actually aimed to young-adult and adult audiences shown in prime time slots, however they are also much more conformist and because of that they treat people obsessed with them (and thus sticking out of the line) much more harshly.

Case in point, the "Western Otaku" is usually depicted as weird and annoying but ultimately harmless cosplayer/weeaboo, while "Japanese Otaku" are usually depicted as fat, ugly perverts leeching on others to fuel their hobby and destroying society from within. Kind of a big difference.

As for the actual article, it should be saved, printed outs and placed wholesale into the dictionary right under "Click Bait" as the prime example. I literally only clicked on the headline because I was baffled by how an economist could say something so stupid, and then it turns out they said the exact opposite. Be ashamed Escapist, be very ashamed. >:|

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:

True. But a site called "The Escapist" might not want to advertise that escapism is a sign of bad economy. :p
It's better to say that it's the cause? o_O

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
True. But a site called "The Escapist" might not want to advertise that escapism is a sign of bad economy. :p
Still shitty journalism though, especially after all the nonsense we had a few weeks back surrounding that sort of thing.

As for that lad himself, it's just another case of mistaking correlation with causation. Not all that interesting. Pretty big clickbait article. Made a misplay here Escapist folks.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010

Oh I wouldn't say the headline is misleading, it's straight-up bullshit.
This isn't even a correlation =/= causality mistake. The title says cosplay is cause when their post and the actual article both very clearly take the position it's an effect. Near as I can tell nobody is arguing the position claimed by the title of this thread.
2 words for that: bull-fucking-shit.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So the headline says "American Enterprise Institute Fellow Blames Cosplay For Poor Economy".

But in the article the author being quoted says, "It's hard to blame them. After all, it's not that these young adults in Japan are resisting becoming productive members of the economy - it's that there just aren't enough opportunities for them."

Thus he expressly does *NOT* blame them - he even uses the actual word 'blame' in a manner utterly inconsistent with what the headline is.

Am I missing something here? Because it feels like I'm missing something here.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The author of this article is actually stating something completely opposite to what the headline says. He is blaming the poor economy for the rise of cosplay and escapism. Which probably isn't centrally accurate either. I don't cosplay, but even if the economy was thriving I'd still play games and what not to escape because my life is less than ideal and I don't know how to fix it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Interesting article, I like how it acknowledges that these arent just layabout no good kids, that they're from all ranges of life, and many are actively seeking non-existent jobs. Nice to see someone attempting to relate to something they dont partake, rather than hurl blame at those young people, and their darned time wasting.

Shame about the blatantly clickbait terrible article title which is stating the exact opposite of the content.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
"any rise in people fleeing reality for fantasy suggests problems with our reality."

Ya don't fucking say :mad:

I swear the 'experts' are getting dumber every fucking time they say something.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Dreadful clickbait headline. I expect better from you, Escapist.

DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Very interesting to read, kudos. I must say, I can see shades of similarity with what's going on at present in Australia. The old paradigm for Baby Boomers was free education for anyone who could work, followed by entry to the workplace where you took on a solid 40 hour week and worked your way up without demanding too much from your employer, especially if you were a woman with ambitions of having children. Then as you got closer to retirement you would take advantage of the government's negative gearing of investment property to build a portfolio and retire very wealthy.

Now, for Gen Y university is both expensive and takes twice as long because declining entry standards have opened the floodgates and made getting a Masters compulsory if you want to stand out. Full time employment programs for graduates have been shredded, and most employers prefer to offer short contracts or employ casual labour so they don't have to pay the full-time loading and sick leave, as well as being able to dismiss people at the drop of a hat. On top of this, negative gearing has killed the property market for young first home buyers, leading to people who are stuck renting for their whole lives. Thus, Gen Y tends to be much more transient, and many of them display little interest in climbing the corporate ladder and instead look to following their dreams of being a chef, yoga teacher, fitness instructor etc. The radio and papers are filled with grumpy Baby Boomers ranting about how they won't hire Australian Gen Y (Gen Y Bother, they call them) because they don't show any 'loyalty', which most businesses refuse to show them. There was a court case here recently won by a few supermarket employees who had worked at the same place for THIRTEEN years and had still not even been made permanent employees.

So it's not so surprising that this kind of thing is happening the world over as the corporate system screws people out of an existence and emerging generations prefer to take their chances elsewhere.