American Humour is Terrible

Dr Red

Apr 15, 2011
I like South Park for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.

N.B: Lol. Calm down. In my experience, stating your opinion as fact results in a stronger argument. Prefixing everything you say with "I think" or "I feel" seems weak. I've not seen any posts that in any way make me even think my opinion may be incorrect. And no, I'm not trolling.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
-Previous comment retracted-

Curse me being tired. Those shows are terrible, yes, but not all American humor is bad. Arrested Development, for example, is fucking hilarious.

I still don't like this country very much, though.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
You know what's worse? Generalizations based on two widely hated shows (of the same shitty genre). Try harder.

In the mean time, I'll be watching Arrested Development, Monty Python, and the Chasers War on Everything, not giving a single fuck what country any of them came from. Because that's silly.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.

Dr Red

Apr 15, 2011
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
My point is that the jokes involved are less intelligent than those in British shows. Go watch Peep Show. That is genius. Compare it to any widely viewed American comedy show. I'm not arguing which is subjectively better, I'm arguing that British comedy is more intelligent. Please read my post and understand it before replying.

Dr Red

Apr 15, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Let me just leave this here, it explains my thoughts.

Read my last post, the one above this.

Sorry for the double post.

yoshiru

Mar 7, 2011
Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait..

Real American humor could be defined as Mark Twain. But if you're talking about movies and TV shows:

Watch Tootsie, starring Dustin Hoffman

Watch Arrested Development, starring Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, etc.

Watch Ferris Beuler's Day off, starring Matthew Broderick

Have you seen I Love You, Man?.. watch it.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
Matt Oliver said:
scrubs halirous show
Scrubs is funny but you can only watch each episode a couple of times because the comedy is all at face value, there's no small side jokes you don't pick up on immediately. I agree with some of this statement in that the attidude to humour is different in other countries and I just don''t happen to like that style of jokes.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
In the mean time, I'll be watching Arrested Development, Monty Python, and the Chasers War on Everything, not giving a single fuck what country any of them came from. Because that's silly.
Stop being silly or i stop the show!
Eh sit-coms are generally shit but they do provide the occasional "heh..."

Viral_Lola said:
Matt Oliver said:
scrubs halirous show
Scrubs is amazing. *tilts head to the left*
Humor is subjective. What one person finds funny another may not.
Im really surprised you didnt quote OP instead.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Wow, that is elitist. There are some great American comics but you seem to have ignored them completely. Try to be more open minded, even though it is fashionable to be anti-American.

Try The Daily Show for American humour and satire done well.

jed12b

Jun 16, 2011
The only American comedy show I like is Big Bang Theory. Other then that, Monty Python all the way!

jed12b

Jun 16, 2011
The only American comedy show I like is Big Bang Theory. Other then that, Monty Python all the way!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
If something is funny then it doesn't matter where it's from.

Some American shows are funny (Scrubs for the first 2 seasons) whereas some aren't (never been a fan of Family Guy).

But being British I don't care because we have Blackadder, Red Dwarf, 2 Pints of Lager (but not the new series) and Monty Python (as you'll probably note those are all old shows mainly due to nothing much coming out recently in the funny department).

See, it doesn't matter which country you live in we all have to put up with crap comedy as well as the good.

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
I like some American humour what I dont like is when shouting the punchline in a funny voice to get laugh or even worse when they have to explain why the joke was funny ( even though people have already laughed) and then the audience laughs even louder after the explaination?!?!?!

Tbh i do like american humour there only small reasons. but british humour is where its at ;)