American Made - Let's Give This a Shot

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

American Made sees Tom Cruise try to carry an entire movie on his charisma.

Read Full Article

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yah!!!!! Cinemarter is back!

Also, boo!!!!! I really wanted American Made to be good. I didn't think it would be good but I can dream, can't I?!?!?

LET ME DREAM MARTER!!!!!!!!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'll be honest- I'm mostly interested in this for the planes.

How are the planes? Yes this is important, don't look at me like that.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Hmm. So they're not paying him, just reproducing content from his own site; The Escapist gets free content, Marter gets to plug his patreon. ...Hope it goes better than Garwulf's seven, but not looking good right now...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Great to see you back Marter.

Id have missed this anyway... unless it turned out to be amazing.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Marter said:

Read Full Article
Good to have you back man :D

OT: Shame about the film, reading about the concept makes me thing it could make for a pretty good "Breaking Bad" style series, with Seal having to juggle his contacts with the CIA and his contacts with the Cartels, as well as all the misadventures that might ensue.
But that was always something I had trouble with, the fact that many films and games justify GTA Protagonist behavior by saying some higher up is giving them the green light.

While there is some Truth in Television in that, it's still a pretty hard sell for me when they are doing something like smuggling people in planes.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Hearing mixed things about this one. Me and the girlfriend like Tom Cruise though so we'll probably check it out.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I'm currently reading through Legacy of Ashes so this movie is right up my alley. From what I read so far the CIA was a joke so there's plenty of room for some dark comedy and for it to still be accurate

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Diablo1099 said:
Marter said:

Read Full Article

OT: Shame about the film, reading about the concept makes me thing it could make for a pretty good "Breaking Bad" style series, with Seal having to juggle his contacts with the CIA and his contacts with the Cartels, as well as all the misadventures that might ensue.
But that was always something I had trouble with, the fact that many films and games justify GTA Protagonist behavior by saying some higher up is giving them the green light.

While there is some Truth in Television in that, it's still a pretty hard sell for me when they are doing something like smuggling people in planes.
The people smuggling is bringing Nicaraguan Contras to the US to be trained and then sent back to fight 'communism' were not talking the death journeys of modern people smuggling.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Seems like Cruise is on bit of a losing streak. If he doesn't get a big success, studios just might reconsider paying him all those millions.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Diablo1099 said:
Marter said:

Read Full Article

The people smuggling is bringing Nicaraguan Contras to the US to be trained and then sent back to fight 'communism' were not talking the death journeys of modern people smuggling.
Ohhhhhh, that changes things then, thanks for the correction :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Patrons upon returning to the Escapist: 3

Patrons after three days on Escapist: 3

Experiment is failing! D:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Patrons upon returning to the Escapist: 3

Patrons after three days on Escapist: 3

Experiment is failing! D:

Hopefully it'll just need a bit of time. I would love to see Marter be able to do this as an actual job :)

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Yay, Marter's back.

Well, given Bladerunner, IT and Death of Stalin are out at the minute, I was never likely to be watching this.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Sounds like one to miss. Thanks for your thoughtful analysis as always.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
You know, reviews like this kind of make me give up on reading any sort of reviews. Don't get me wrong, the piece is well written and Matthew knows his stuff, but I don't know if he and most of the reviewers out there can appreciate a movie like American Made. I watched it with several people and we all had a good time. The film is well paced and fun to watch, it even has some good drama towards the end. I'd recommend it.