American McGee Brings Grimm To Steam Greenlight

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
American McGee Brings Grimm To Steam Greenlight

So, how dark do you like your 23 different fairy tales?

Once upon a time there was a game called Grimm [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/72780-Shacknews-Sits-Down-With-American-McGee] by American McGee, that de-prettified the old stories and made them the dark and terrible fables they ought to be. Time passed, but the game didn't, and now American McGee's taking his 23 episode Grimm to Steam Greenlight, where the fans will get to decide - probably very quickly - whether or not it will see a Steam release.

Each one of the 23 episodes promises about a half-hour's worth of gameplay, and was first released episodically, in seasons, not unlike Telltale's Walking Dead. You play as Grimm, a dwarf determined to eliminate 'saccharine sweet' from the fairy tale dictionary. You'll help a boy learn the meaning of fear, lead the Luck Child on a quest to retrieve three hairs from the Devil's head, and put Grimm's unique twist on Scrooge's Christmas Carol, among many other adventures. The true meaning of the word fear will become very clear to you, as Grimm capers through the classics, fixing them with his unique brand of carefree charm.

Want to know more? The Greenlight page is just over here [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163244574].

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Always wanted to try this, but some shitty service had it under lock and key IIRC.
Gametap, right? I think they lost the rights to it ages ago.

And man, Gametap had so much potential. If only it wasn't utterly broken.

OT: The first ones are so boring, but they really start picking up after the first five or six. I kind of want to play them again.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I remember playing an episode of this long ago on Gametap. I barely managed to beat it no thanks for the crappy laptop I was playing it on making the framerate chug. I'd be interested in giving it another go now that I have a powerful rig.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
He moved on from his failed Kickstarter pretty quickly, even if it is to rerelease an old game. And whilst the games preceded it, I dislike the current trend for making 'gritty' versions of the happy versions of fairy tales so I'll probably avoid these. It could have been worse though. He could have made a game about vampires and werewolves battling against teenager issues, or a zombie game...

Marley

May 2, 2013
This guy keeps trying to make/fund games and I am yet to see one that is interesting.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
He moved on from his failed Kickstarter pretty quickly, even if it is to rerelease an old game. And whilst the games preceded it, I dislike the current trend for making 'gritty' versions of the happy versions of fairy tales so I'll probably avoid these. It could have been worse though. He could have made a game about vampires and werewolves battling against teenager issues, or a zombie game...
See, the difference is that a lot of these stories WERE gritty in the first place, just that Disney came along and removed all of the "icky" bits to make them more... cheery.