American Supercomputer Named World's Most Powerful

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Take IBM, and move every letter one step back in the alphabet.

'A brain the size of a planet, and they have me [simulating detonations of nuclear weapons]'

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Germany has a super computer that saves the SuperMUC's facility around ?1 million ($1.3 million) in power per year.While the Americans have one to simulate Nuclear explosions.

Guess which country does not have a $15 Trillion dollar debt

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
People saying skynet and wondering why it simulated nuclear weapons rather then working for 'good'. Your overwhelming ignorance of how technology works saddens me. This isn't an AI, its a super-fast vector math calculator programmed to crunch numbers. It does simulations, not AI. fixing world hunger is not a simulation problem (its a political problem) and AI requires more complex coding then '1. calculate number 2. store 3. loop'.

It's interesting to see that America is on top this year but aside from predicting future processing numbers this whole competition always struck me as kind of stupid. Lets see who has the fastest specialized computer, because!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
And we're using this for what? Seriously, this is terrible, we could be doing so much with this. And C.M. Porter wanted to give this gift to the surface HA.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Spygon said:
Germany has a super computer that saves the SuperMUC's facility around ?1 million ($1.3 million) in power per year.While the Americans have one to simulate Nuclear explosions.

Oh, Germany is deeply in debt too, make no mistake about that.

On-Topic: If the american Computer is used to to find ways to put the american nuclear arsenal to a more efficient use it at least has the effect of not more bombs being built. That counts for something, I guess.

I may be wrong about that and I'm too lazy right now to actually check it but as far as I recall SuperMUC is used for weather forecast. It's not solving world hunger either.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
They just said it runs nuclear scenarios, in actuality it's running a verisimilitude of human thought computations so we can have a fully autonomous bipedal nuclear armament run by and AI designed after the Boss to act as our actual deterrent.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
fanklok said:
They just said it runs nuclear scenarios, in actuality it's running a verisimilitude of human thought computations so we can have a fully autonomous bipedal nuclear armament run by and AI designed after the Boss to act as our actual deterrent.
A "autonomous bipedal nuclear armament?" Is it a Metal Gear!? It better be a Rex design, who am I kidding They already have a Rex! Their just mass producing Rays thinking that they will be "better" because they have underwater strike capability

Mech Rule Number 1: The Prototype is "always" Superior, ALWAYS!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
FantomOmega said:
fanklok said:
A "autonomous bipedal nuclear armament?" Is it a Metal Gear!? It better be a Rex design, who am I kidding They already have a Rex! Their just mass producing Rays thinking that they will be "better" because they have underwater strike capability

It's clear you haven't played Peace Walker.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
fanklok said:
FantomOmega said:
fanklok said:

It's clear you haven't played Peace Walker.
So your saying that that there was a model even before Metal Gear Ray but AFTER the Shagohod capable to launching nukes worldwide without a railgun!? I'll have to around to playing Peacewalker then, just checked and realized its now on the PSN as a HD Collection so I wont have to contend with the psp camera controls

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Wow, talk about tempting fate with the whole "making it simulate nuclear strikes" thing. The only way they could make a more ironic ending for themselves is by saying "if anything happens, we'll just turn it off".

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Spygon said:

well to be honest germany has 5,6 trillion dollar debt (4th in the world), so your not the one to talk.

well americans have stopped whne it comes to IT for a while, looks like they are picking the slack again with computing power, now if only thier internet connection would move out of the 90s at last.\

and as for simulating nuclear explosions, here, you can do it on your pc: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
(obviously this is primitive, but fun t play with)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
antipunt said:
to feed its 1.57 million processors

>_>

OK, this might just my personality but..

was anyone else thinking "ZOMG HOLY SHIT EARTTH QUAKEEEE" *everything falls apart; blows into bits*

lone guy: "NOooooooooooooooooooooo"
It's not that unthinkable.
Normal high-end graphics card has over 500 processors in them.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
rhizhim said:
Lacsapix said:
But can it run Crysis on full settings?
no. crysis is badly programmed.

also:
FRIGGIN NINJA'D! -.-

Awesome video though xD

Yeh i have nothing to add...i was just going to post the video...*twiddles thumbs*

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
EHKOS said:
And we're using this for what? Seriously, this is terrible, we could be doing so much with this. And C.M. Porter wanted to give this gift to the surface HA.
Our country doesn't work that way. Instead of building a giant supercomputer and saying "what to do what to do" and the lightbulb comes on, the budget for it won't even be passed if it weren't for this purpose.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
And in almost no time at all a better one will be made and this one will be left in the dust as all super computers are. The same thing happened with the super computer at the university I go to. Was one of the fastest in the world. Half a year later it is pushed down the list halfway, now not even on it. And that was only a few years back if I remember right.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Strazdas said:
Spygon said:

well to be honest germany has 5,6 trillion dollar debt (4th in the world), so your not the one to talk.
That still nearly 10 Trillion dollars more than Germany also another good point i am not German.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Loving how the establishment are spinning this as an "america fuck yeah!" feel good piece.

Also loving how the most powerful machine on the planet is devoted to nuclear war.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Spygon said:
Strazdas said:
Spygon said:

That still nearly 10 Trillion dollars more than Germany also another good point i am not German.
Lets see, american debt is 2,61 times larger.
American GDP is 4,15 times larger
Yeah id say americans are better off here.