American Versions of English Shows

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
All in the Family was adapted from 'Til Death Do Us Part'.

Three's Company was adapted from 'Man About the House'.

Cosby (not The Cosby Show) was adapted from 'One Foot in the Grave'.

We've a pretty long history of ripping off British shows. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

jimborious

Apr 14, 2009
Apparantly CBS are looking into doing a "modernised version of Sherlock Holmes set in New York City," I thought I'd share that little piece of condensed stupidity just in case anyone wanted nightmares.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
The big problem with American remakes of British comedies is the style of American shows tends to be one of happiness, polished celebrities being happy and kooky traits being treated as something wonderful, when British comedies tend to have a more cynical and less glamorous view of the world. This difference in outlooks and styles means that ideas written for one are unlikely to work well for the other.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Top Gear US seems alright, I mean its no where near Top Gear but its entertaining enough. I think alot of it has to do with poor production rather than massive cultural differences, in much the same way that series reboots are generally awful. For example take a look a the british comedy Coupling and its american remake. The lines in both are pretty much identical, but there is just something in the american version that makes you want to cringe, and the terrible acting doesn't help it much either.

Watch at your own peril.

jimborious

Apr 14, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Top Gear US seems alright, I mean its no where near Top Gear but its entertaining enough. I think alot of it has to do with poor production rather than massive cultural differences, in much the same way that series reboots are generally awful. For example take a look a the british comedy Coupling and its american remake. The lines in both are pretty much identical, but there is just something in the american version that makes you want to cringe, and the terrible acting doesn't help it much either.

Watch at your own peril.
I see you point, I'm not sure what it is but the American version just seemed slightly off.

On a seperate note thank you sir i'd forgotten just how good Coupling was now i'm off rewatch the first few episodes.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Blackmagic1515 said:
I saw the American version of Red Dwarf (or the pilot for it anyway). It was crap, beyond crap even. They tried to make Lister a buff handsome guy and it really didn't work.
Do not speak of that abomination. It scarred the reputation of Red Dwarf in a way more than permament.

I'm also getting very worried about this supposed US remake of the Inbetweeners.

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
xXTheParadoxXx said:
I heard that mtv is currently in the process of adapting the inbetweeners. After skins, why would they try again?
Now that is going to be a disaster! To make the Inbetweeners acceptable they'll half to take out at least half the swearing and given the fact that the drinking age in america is 21 rather than 18 that also, in my head seems to take away from it. A US version will never succeed with the inbetweeners

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
jimborious said:

Watch at your own peril.
I see you point, I'm not sure what it is but the American version just seemed slightly off.

On a seperate note thank you sir i'd forgotten just how good Coupling was now i'm off rewatch the first few episodes.
I second that, now to dig out my boxset. Second time today that something reminded me of it. The first was when I was revising some notes on parasitism and noticed my lecture had included a picture from Alien. What Coupling described as the 'John Hurt Moment'

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
jimborious said:

Watch at your own peril.

I second that, now to dig out my boxset. Second time today that something reminded me of it. The first was when I was revising some notes on parasitism and noticed my lecture had included a picture from Alien. What Coupling described as the 'John Hurt Moment'

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
aprilmarie said:
can i just agree with this? Every American version of a British show that I've seen is shite. I prefer the BBC versions of shows more than the Americanised crap versions. But then my opinion is Americans also can't pull off humour quite as well either...(and for the record for those who don't know, I am American)
Ahhh... a fine upstanding Briton will be made of you yet! =P

Though the Scots (well one loud one, at least) are trying for independence so which side of the border you goin'?! ;)
Scots. Most definitely Scots if I can help it. If not then I guess either England or Wales but preference is definitely Scots.

Psh. Secretly I've always been one anyway. Just born and raised in the wrong country is all.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
jimborious said:
Apparantly CBS are looking into doing a "modernised version of Sherlock Holmes set in New York City," I thought I'd share that little piece of condensed stupidity just in case anyone wanted nightmares.
Sounds interesting as long as they keep the accent.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I can only think of two right now.

Top Gear USA and The Office USA.

I rest my case. Seriously, these shows are ass. Top Gear USA is crapper than crap and The Office USA is so unbelivebly dry I get thirsty whenever I see ads for it.

EDIT: From what I gather, the American versions try way to hard to be funny, to go for extreme laughs or nothing. But they often lose all the personality and character from the originals shows. You definately see this in Top Gear USA, when they copy some skits and tests word for word yet it just sucks more. And after watching that Coupling U.S version I am beginning to wonder if they have the capacity to create a humerous show at all. They can't seem to deliver their lines believeably.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
The Office: Good, dead-pan and quite funny.
The American Office: Boring, try-hard and all round terrible.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
The only one I've ever liked more was the US version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?", the others that I've seen are sub par.
However this is likely due to my humour, most of the adaptations move away from the dry humour and go for the OTT american wrestling presenter approach of shouting the humour at me. Which I personally find childish and dull.

That's not to say US TV is bad, there are some killer shows from Stateside, it's just the adaptations, they seem to really suck...

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i think it is safe to say that US version of The Office has been a rousing success.