Americans: what country would you go to if you had to leave the US forever, and why?

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Canada, probably, I've always preferred a slightly colder climate and it seems like a decent place to live, since I have little to no knowledge of living conditions outside of North America.

Roryomg said:
Saying this is like saying going to America, you're going to die of Gun crime.
THANK YOU, SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOO MUCH!

I don't know ANYTHING about Australia (but your post is pretty believable) but I can't STAND people who just assume absolutely ridiculous things "because someone told them so".

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Actually, Japan for me as well. I have nothing but respect for these people and I've always wanted to go. Of course, there's going to be one HELL of a language gap, as I am just shit with other languages. Still, if they can accept that I'm some white guy taking residence, I'm sure we'll get along. They don't often fault Americans in Japan for not doing Japanese things.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Canada, definitely. Health care, polite people, clean cities, and the legal right to marry? Yes please.

I would never go to Australia. I don't feel like getting killed by the Lovecraftian wildlife.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Roryomg said:
I have lived in Australia my whole life.
Same here. It's rather nice.

I have never seen a 'giant' spider.
I've seen a lot of large spiders but never a 'giant' one... although, that might entirely depend on a person's definition of 'giant'. Kind of rare to see any with a leg span over 15cm/6" in built up areas, and that's the minimum size for me to even call one 'large'.

I have never seen a poisonous snake.
I have, but I used to spend time out bush.

I have never seen a shark.
Again, seen more than a couple but when you're on offshore shark fishing trips you do kind of hope to see a few otherwise you just wasted a day you could have spent at a nice beachside pub.

For most people in Australia the most dangerous animals they'll encounter are drunken bogans.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Not South America, Africa or most of Asia. So I figure I'd go to Ireland, Japan or Germany.
With that said, I've never lived in the US or been to any of those countries, so idk.
My top two (in order): Japan and Germany. Ireland is on there just cause I wanted a third option.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Brawndo said:
The hypothetical reason you have to leave is unimportant for the purposes of this thread, so let's not go off on a tangent speculating about felonies and which countries don't extradite.

I'd probably go to Costa Rica. There is a relatively large American expat community there, the climate is great, the cost of living is low compared to the US, I think Hispanic girls are hot, Costa Rica doesn't have a military so there's no risk of a bloody coup, and I already know enough Spanish to get by okay the first few months before I pick up more of the language.
You shouldn't assume everyone on this site is American. Believe it or not, other countries do have computers. I would probably go to Canada, since it is a close neighbor, and not much will change.

Roryomg

Jul 8, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
Roryomg said:
I have lived in Australia my whole life.
Same here. It's rather nice.

I have never seen a 'giant' spider.
I've seen a lot of large spiders but never a 'giant' one... although, that might entirely depend on a person's definition of 'giant'. Kind of rare to see any with a leg span over 15cm/6" in built up areas, and that's the minimum size for me to even call one 'large'.

I have never seen a poisonous snake.
I have, but I used to spend time out bush.

I have never seen a shark.
Again, seen more than a couple but when you're on offshore shark fishing trips you do kind of hope to see a few otherwise you just wasted a day you could have spent at a nice beachside pub.

For most people in Australia the most dangerous animals they'll encounter are drunken bogans.
Haha or the new obesity 'epidemic'.

*groans* i felt dirty saying epidemic.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Sweden would be farthest away I could easily go to.

Most of the family still living there. No country is perfect, Sweden has its own problems, but they're doing quite well. Been there before, too
That or Israel, visit my tax dollars and see what theyre up to

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If I was just being exiled from the US, I'd move about 300 miles from just outside Portland, OR, to just outside Vancouver, BC, Canada. If I had to leave the Americas completely, I'd probably drift for awhile, starting in Singapore and moving on if I found something about the place I couldn't stand.
...I'd probably wind up in Ireland or something by the end.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Peteron said:
Brawndo said:
The hypothetical reason you have to leave is unimportant for the purposes of this thread, so let's not go off on a tangent speculating about felonies and which countries don't extradite.

I'd probably go to Costa Rica. There is a relatively large American expat community there, the climate is great, the cost of living is low compared to the US, I think Hispanic girls are hot, Costa Rica doesn't have a military so there's no risk of a bloody coup, and I already know enough Spanish to get by okay the first few months before I pick up more of the language.
You shouldn't assume everyone on this site is American. Believe it or not, other countries do have computers. I would probably go to Canada, since it is a close neighbor, and not much will change.
Hence the perfectly clear "Americans:" in the title. Not every thread has to apply to everyone.