America's Army Costs US Taxpayers $32.8 Million

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
$33 Million actually does not sound too bad for 3 games and 10 years of advertising. Could be a lot worse considering MW2 cost more than that for just one game without advertisements. I would prefer to see the money go to something else, mind you.

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
Jelekk said:
if you honestly think that this is a good idea you are a complete moron. wasting 33 million on military propaganda is absolutely appalling. this truly sickens me. way to go america, on more reason I hate conservatives and the military.
But it's not Military propaganda, The game never says "Hey son, Your pretty good what at killin' em terrorists over there, Why don't you enlist?" It's simply a game produced by the army which can give prospective recruits the tiniest taste of what that entails. You may hate the military, but without it, you'd be screwed. You really don't expect every country to just disarm do you? Your personal politics are fine, But this isn't really a conservative thing to do. In fact if you asked a conservative in the house or senate they'd probably laugh at the idea.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Jesus christ keep some perspective guys. $33 Million is utter chump-change. Hell, $1 BILLION would be considered chump change, that's just a couple of jets. Missles cost millions on their own. I seen to recall the military's budget was something like $350 Billion a year? That makes this 0.00001% of the military's budget per year. That is literally One hundred thousandth of the yearly budget!

ITT people need to learn the difference between millions, billions and trillions.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
What this really proves is that fictional war is a thousand times cheaper than real wars.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
OT: $33 million sounds like a lot but what percentage of the total funds the US army get is that?

(that sounds like im defending america, whats wrong with me?)
This might be of interest to you. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States]

You're looking at about $650 billion-$1.1 trillion depending on how much you take as part of the 'military' and how much is merely 'military-related'.

And that's over one year, rather than the 10 that the $33 million figure is for.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
EddyRhodes93 said:
Oh dear oh dear, no wonder some soldiers are dieing from lack of equipment.
Do you even know how much that equipment costs? 33 million is /nothing/

gRiM_rEaPeRsco

Jun 11, 2008
Amnestic said:
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
OT: $33 million sounds like a lot but what percentage of the total funds the US army get is that?

This might be of interest to you. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States]

You're looking at about $650 billion-$1.1 trillion depending on how much you take as part of the 'military' and how much is merely 'military-related'.

And that's over one year, rather than the 10 that the $33 million figure is for.
wow, im now even more dissapointed in the american government

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Quick question, can you get America's Army outside the USA? I've been interested in playing it for a while now but since it's primarily a recruiting tool for the US Army, I don't know if you can download it outside the USA (I'm in the UK, you see). Can someone please let me know if you can download it in the UK?

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
EddyRhodes93 said:
Oh dear oh dear, no wonder some soldiers are dieing from lack of equipment.
A standard armored HMMWV of Hummvee costs about $140,000 to produce. 10,000 were deployed in Iraq. That works out at over $1.4 Billion to simply build that many. That number will double by the time you include fuel, ammunition, maintenance and the cost of keeping the soldiers.
$32 million is pocket change to the US Military.

But you're right, that money deffinitly could have gone to better places rather than on a recruiting tool that had little to no impact (Aside from the Canadian dude who saved someone, thumbs up to him).

Trivun said:
Quick question, can you get America's Army outside the USA? I've been interested in playing it for a while now but since it's primarily a recruiting tool for the US Army, I don't know if you can download it outside the USA (I'm in the UK, you see). Can someone please let me know if you can download it in the UK?
I'm pretty sure you can order it from somewhere. I think I actually got it off the US Army website and had it shipped to my home in the UK. So there are deffinitly ways of getting it outside America.

Njaard

Sep 17, 2009
Think about it this way, it's roughly 300 million people in the USA, and 33 million dollars equals about 10 cents. So you've basically paid one tenth of a dollar to help the army recruitment (to some degree), and even saved a life.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
it isnt. GTA4 for the PS3 alone had a budget of 500k $

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
thevegetarianzombie said:
I'm no expert when it comes to the finances required to build a video game, but this seems rather extreme. Either they've got very poor cost management, or not all of that money was really going towards the video game.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2's total budget was over $200 million. [footnote]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96227-How-Much-Did-Modern-Warfare-2-Cost-to-Make[/footnote] While America's Army is not a triple AAA title, $33 million over 10 years is actually quite on the cheaper side.

Depending on how much the armed forces use this game or software developed from it in replacement for live exercises, they might actually be saving quite a bit of money or at least breaking even.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Trivun said:
you can. America´s Army 3 is available off steam for free of course. i tried it, but sadly i didnt find it very entertaining. in the bomb carrier mode (dont remember what its called), i managed to race past the entire enemy team sneakely. WITH AN M249. plus realism isnt really me.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Huh.. Why don't they get rid of those stupid "The few, the proud, the marines" commercials, and use this instead.

It seems kinda odd that they are wasting all of their money on propaganda tools though..

Low Key

May 7, 2009
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
Amnestic said:
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:

wow, im now even more dissapointed in the american government
Why? No country is more in danger of nutjobs trying to kill innocent civilians than America.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
HK_01 said:
Better use of the money than buying, what, one tank or an eigth of a Raptor. It's not really that much.
Unfortunately america isn't making 20million dollar tanks anymore we aren't making any main battle tanks we are making equipment to fight this war not the next one politicians are retarded.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
dududf said:
Uh huh. 32.8 million.... on a game... when so many Americans do not have jobs...

Hell, a couple of my American friends were laid off, and the Army is doing THIS shit?

No exscuse. Not even that guy who saved lives thanks to the game. No where near freaken worth it.

Get your shit together, and deal with your problems not spending grotesque amounts of money on a video game, when people are jobless. Unless it's of course a plot to get people to join the military :eek:
Considering how much a single tank or jet costs (and how quickly and willingly the military scraps their tanks and jets), or how much money tends to get slopped up into pork-barrel spending and dubiously managed bureaucratic schemes (including various forms of welfare), this game is a drop in a bucket.