Amnesia Dev Teases Possible Sci-Fi Title

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
As long as they don't give the damn thing to The Chinese Room again, it'll probably be awesome.

Jarl Gullberg

Apr 8, 2011
Certainly looks like it's just "cogito ergo sum" so far, but that might change in the future. I moved the distorted parts around a little and reconstructed it.

http://reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1nd8ui/next_frictional_games_game_reconstructed_website/

I personally enjoyed The Dark Descent (despite never playing the entire game), and a sci-fi title would certainly pique my interest, perhaps even to the point of making me play it.

If I could ask them a question about the game, I'd inquire as to whether or not they're going to implement native Oculus Rift support - it's proven itself a scare machine already, and in the hands of Frictional I can't help but to shiver ^.=.^

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
After that mess that was Machine For Pigs, I lost hope in this Dev and all future Amnesia titles. Sorry.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
The symbol on the upper right corner of the System box looks like the japanese character for "out" 出 and the bottom left corner looks like "right" and "line/rank", 右 and 列 respectively. I don't believe 右列 is a word.

Not sure if they have the same meaning in chinese.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
This is not relevant to the topic but i have to point out that its very amusing to see people bash thechineseroom for "ruining" Amnesia, when it fact it was the better game but overshot its intent by such a distance that it again curves back into "meh". Amnesia Dark Descent was best in its early hours of gameplay, when all you had was atmosphere and the odd occasional sound and wierd happening. The moment the gatherers show up, this slowly goes down the drain, and only increases the more of them you encounter. Eventually by the end its a "boo scare" given that the only "horror" left is the occasional "Oh.Hey there. Im a Gatherer, please run away now".

In short, Dark Descent had too many monsters, Machine for Pigs too few. Fear comes from your imagination, something you can not see is much more effective than something you can. Both failed in that regard, in part cause the pigs are rather hilarious looking and the gatherers were just wierd, deformed human people. Once you can reationalize just what the monster is, the less scary it becomes. Would you run away from them if you actually could defend yourself? No you would not, which means the only horror aspect in all of it is a mechanic that disallows you to actually fight in any way. That aint horror, that aint fear.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Desert Punk said:
Well, their last game was unimpressive, so I will reserve judgment for when this game is released, or there is atleast more information. But I dont have high hopes.
Frictional only published "AMfP". They didn't feel that they were interested enough to make a good sequel, so they gave it to thechineseroom.

As far as games they've actually developed go, they have a perfect track record, and count me in with the hyped.
Man, was THAT a mistake. They're getting a lot of flack from fans over the really stupid decisions ChineseRoom made

Jdog8998

Sep 29, 2013
Well, I blame the fans. For one, frictional didn't want to make another amnesia game because they weren't creatively motivated to make one, but the fans pressured them so hard they decided to do it even though they were working on a new game FOR the fans, MADE to be the BIG STEP UP everyone is wanting to get.

2nd, the people at frictional believe in respect and integrity and they gave the development role to TheChineseRoom and didn't manipulate them into making something that wasn't right for TheChineseRoom. You don't work with someone to boss them around. If it had gone south for that reason, then I'm sure everyone would of jumped on frictional for acting like EA so its a loose loose, how fair.

3rd, if anyone follows frictional games on their site, they handed Amnesia to TheChineseRoom while they had been working on the game that they started in 2010 almost right after amnesia was released.

4th, the idea was to give fans something while they were waiting for the new game they were working on. The idea from the start was to give a different take on Amnesia to give fans something to (hopefully) enjoy while THIS game was being made.

5th, Penumbra requiem failed for the same reason AMFP failed(even though it is a good game). Pressure from the fans when they would RATHER NOT MAKE IT due to creative motivation. (Though I think it was really good, and VERY underrated.)Instead of people bitching about the failure, let me ask you people this. Who else would of been a better candidate? Seriously. Think of what the game is now, and think of a single game developer (that was available) that could ACTUALLY do better. Capcom? no. EA, HELL no.

6th, the aim from the start was to make a different game to keep things interesting, because that seemed logical, and in my eyes it seems very logical, especially when your new game that's supposed to be the next step up is going to be out soon after. It just wasn't what you were expecting, probably because people didn't look up enough stuff and knew any better. So its peoples fault for not knowing it was supposed to be a Amnesia/Esther hybrid for the sake of making something interesting and different. They aren't EA you know.

You already all know frictional doesn't have good PR. Do you guys know how many fake releases dates were put up before release on various gaming and journalist sites that were pissing off tons of people by continually disappointing them? EVEN ON META CRITIC THE DEVELOPMENT INFO IS WRONG. It says that it was published by TheChineseRoom and that frictional made it, WHICH IS 10000% wrong. On this very site this whole article is saying "possible sci-fi title", when frictional already confirmed in in the forums and on their Facebook page that the game IS sci-fi like 4 months ago! Its not a rumor, its true. So far I'd say gaming journalists are the ones killing frictional games by acting like lazy bastards, spreading misinformation, and giving people the wrong ideas. Hm... that's interesting, because certain people (which I will not name) have been known to give BS reviews for money.

Frictional said many times that AAMFP was TheChineseRooms game through and through, and that it was going to be a mixture of Amnesia and Dear Esther. They said that. THAT WAS IT, and that has ALWAYS been it. The Chinese Room only asked frictional for feedback on certain things, like concept art and other small things to see what they think, and frictional games supported the development with their own money. Frictional thought it would be enjoyable because they are professional people who understand the concept of creativity and individuality. Whether the game is good or bad, is perspective here. Maybe before people start to condemn Frictional and others for reasons they don't even get, maybe you should of actually gone out of your way go find out what was going on, and know what your talking about. See that they are putting everything they can into this new game for you, and even got a extra for you during the wait. This game is a numberless sequel for a reason, its something from TheChineseRoom to the fans and for frictional themselves, because they are both mutual fans. Thomas and the rest of Frictional didn't know what the game contained. Thomas played it for fun when it was done and enjoyed it, he said he enjoyed it on his twitter.

The game Frictional have been working on (which now has its site launched) is the true successor to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and its based on the feedback they got from TDD. Go on their forums and learn about this stuff, frictional don't have PR. AAMFP was a different game, from a different perspective, and that's always what it sought out to be...different, and that's exactly what it was. People had their own idea despite what the official announced intentions were, and taking it out on frictional is bullshit. Its your problem. Think I'm full of it? Well, go look on to frictional's site, go look at projects in development. See that unannounced project 2? Well, that has been up since AAMFP was announced, and if you go browse their dev blog or forums, they were talking about the creation process of hpl3 and the new (supersecret) game ever since 2010, long BEFORE AMFP was even announced. In one blog entry Thomas DIRECTLY says that the project would be shown after AAMFP came out. Oh, and look, the new site got launched. That is what Frictional has been responsible for and was responsible for. The game that they have been working on about 3 years now, since before anyone even knew about a machine for pigs, not AAMFP itself. They had to expand their company to 10 people just to do it and they did not want to expand it more to work on a game they didn't even want to make, but ended up paying for anyway due to all the pressure from people that wouldn't stop asking. So, give them a break. If you didn't like Dear Esther you should of seen this coming from the get go, and if you didn't see it coming its your problem and anyone else's problem who didn't try to learn about it more, then bought it off of judgement and pure assumption. Maybe if you don't want a game that's not going to be what you want, people should stop foaming at the mouth like lunatics and pressuring artists to give things they don't have to give....just saying. Also, frictional made requiem WHILE making ATDD. Just 5 people, like HOLY S**T, that was REALLY hard for them, and people trashed them EVEN AFTER FRICTIONAL SAYING THEY WERE TIRED OF PENUMBRA and warning them. You cannot expect such a small team to take on so much because there are so many begging, misunderstanding people. They got to take responsibility for themselves, and pay attention to what they got to do, and so do the fans. Maybe this time people will learn their lesson. I doubt it though, lol. Maybe if frictional had some decent PR this would of turned out a bit better. But you gotta remember, most companies pay to be on sites like IGN and other journalist sites. Do keep that in mind. So unless someone comes to them and asks what needs to be asked, you gotta go to the forums, because the info won't be anywhere else. There was love for AMFP on the forums because a lot of us already knew what was coming, and those who were interesting enjoyed it. I'm not that into AMFP, but that was to be expected. I'm not a fan of Dear Esther.

Frictional are just a small group of guys that make games. They may be worth more now and stable,(around 7 million I think) but I doubt they are going to waste the opportunity to make a project they have been wanting to make since black plague and Amnesia, and not waste it on things they are burnt out on, just to get people to talk good about them. Especially after all the struggles they had to go through just to, get where they are now. Almost going bankrupt several times, and having to eat tons of ramen to afford development, just to please their fans. They are independent, creative artists at heart. For all you know they could of already had their 15 minutes of fame and that 7 million could all they are going to have until its gone. I really pray that's not the case,(because I have no idea what their future holds) but if that is the case, then some of the fans might want to stop acting like children. Look at all the other classic game designers. Most to pretty all of them are gone now. Anyway but that's a ways off and I could be totally wrong about them going away. I probably am, but it was a topic at one time that the company leader and creative leader (Thomas Grip) brought up at one point a ways back, and that's why I brought it up(hes preparing for that scenario). So...just think about things a bit.

I've been seeing some people calling them a sell out and they are only in it for the money by using AMFP as a cash in. Give me a break. If they were in it for the money, neither penumbra or amnesia and even a machine for pigs would even exist at all. Anyone who knows anything about game design knows this. People who love money DON'T EVER take risks. Even AAMFP is taking risks if you think about it. It was a risk, TAKING A RISK, for you.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make the game evil or bad, so there you go. When you take risks, things don't always work out. AAMFP in a nutshell.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
A-D. said:
This better be in the vein of "I have no mouth and I must scream". The latin quote, as well as the sci-fi theme would fit such a idea very well. Even if they dont exactly get the rights for that book to begin with, anything close to it would be awesome. And given that both are horror, the more subtle kind, not the "arghl-blarghl-boo" kind that the likes of Dead Space are..well yeah.

Looking forward to what comes of it, but if i could wish for anything, that'd be it.
Instantly what I thought of. I hope this turns out to be officially IHNMAIMS (lol) because while the old adventure game is still fun and interesting, it really wasn't that scary. If anyone can make it so, Frictional can.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
The website reached 100% a couple hours ago, and now it's crashed. It will either not load at all or show a glitched version with the counter at "%" complete. There was something on twitter about traffic breaking the site.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Insane Guy of DOOM said:
The website reached 100% a couple hours ago, and now it's crashed. It will either not load at all or show a glitched version with the counter at "%" complete. There was something on twitter about traffic breaking the site.
It seems to have come back now, but it's stuck at 99%. The wait is unbearable.

Edit: Nevermind, it's glitched again.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
The website has finally been updated. Details are scarce, but the game is apparently called "SOMA" and there's a five minute, live action trailer. The plot seems to involve a strange computer being discovered and things going horribly wrong once its activated.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
So ... its going to be a game about IG-88 from STAR WARS? Lol. Unoriginality at it's finest. It may be a creative game/universe, but unoriginal none the less.