Amnesia Studio Teases a New Game

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
do want *_* amnesia was one of the scariest horror games I played, I would even argue that it's scarier than SH, even though I love that series to death. The fact that you can't fight made the game for me. I hope Frictional games can make something just as awesome

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Here's what I want:
-More awesome Monster sequences, less predictable appearances; where they're more tenacious, and where the music doesn't herald their departure.
-More in-depth hiding than a shadowy corner and looking away. For example, hiding in a crate, but opening it is loud and can attract the monster, or hiding on a pile of dead bodies; quicker and quieter, at the cost of your sanity.
-More complicated puzzles

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Wait, a Chinese horror game? Duuuuuuuude. This is going to be interesting.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well to be honest I didn't think Amnesia was all that great a game. To be honest I thought the Portal 2 addition was more interesting and clever than the original game.

My basic opinion is that horror is one of the hardest generes to write for. Amnesia is one of those cases where what made it scary was arbitrary limits it put on the player character, so I wound up feeling just as detached from the game and any paticular feeling of dread the same way that playing a "horror" game as a genetically augemented commando does it in the other direction. Basically, it had atmosphere in spades, but in the end it was sort of like "King's Quest" or other old Sierra Game where you do the wrong thing or fail a puzzle and some cartoon monster kills you, except with a more serious art palette. When playing it as far as I got I felt more like "dang that was annoying, almost got it that time" more than anything.

While hardly perfect, I think something like "Fatal Frame" represents a sort of "sweet spot" for horror gaming. It managed to generate a really immersive atmosphere, and the whole combat via "psychic camera" while a sort of goofy idea when you think about it, along with the choice of protaganists, managed to create a nice compromise in terms of the monsters (ghosts in this case) being scary, especially seeing as how they became even freakier when you aimed at them and could see the details, without making things seem arbitrary, and also explaining why your character might actually be doing something heroic (and thus being the subject of the game) as opposed to just being another victim.

Amnesia DID have it's back story and explained things eventualy, but really to me it was like someone tried to do a classic sierra game from a first person perspective, and they didn't really carry it off well.

That said, they do have potential, I'm interested in seeing what their new property is.

As far as the picture of China goes that could mean a lot of things. China is a common source for cursed objects and such to have come from in horror. Given the enviroment in China nowadays I'm not quite sure them setting a game there would go over well with either the Chinese authorities or people outside the country, so if I had to make an educated guess we're probably going to find China fits into the lore or objects crucial to the plot, but the game probably isn't set there.... unless the game is going very retro again.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Oh, so they are going to continue to keep making the same horror game over and over again? Great...
Stick with what you know I guess. It seems like the way that a lot of developers are going. Remake the same title over and over again!
Although, I would buy an Amnesia clone in a new setting.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Oh, so they are going to continue to keep making the same horror game over and over again? Great...
Stick with what you know I guess. It seems like the way that a lot of developers are going. Remake the same title over and over again!
Although, I would buy an Amnesia clone in a new setting.
True. I guess it works for some. I would buy an Amnesia clone, as well. Funny since Amnesia was just a Penumbra clone in a new setting. So with this new game coming out, they will have successfully made Penumbra five different times.
And as long as every time, people react like this:

<youtube=LVmxR4P4Uzw>

...then I'm OK with this.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oh? Really? A new Amnesia game? So, I should refrain from too many other activities in the house, as the cannon-like stream of terrified piss could damage property now? I should also probably alert my neighbors, as the terrified screams of panic wouldn't be me getting murdered, but being absolutely scared witless and soundless by a video game?

I'll get right on that. Best to warn them early.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Amnesia was awesome and in my opinion the best horror anything ever made (as well as an awesome game in it's own right), but there's definitely room for improvement. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
OOOH YES!

Absolutely cannot wait, hope they do not tone down the frights. Keep it as scary, or even scarier! Cannot wait :D

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
My biggest problem with Amnesia is that it is no different than any other survival horror game. Alright so you can't fight back, big deal. Reality sets in and you notice that everytime you solve a puzzle you get attacked. The game makes you collect a lot of pointless shit to get ahead. Yeah it's a good game, but it follows the same basic principles as Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
i agree. its a good game but i dint find it scary at all. if i saw a monster, i just hide in a wardrobe or in the dark. nice atmosphere but not one single moment in the game scared me or made me feel scared.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Console version? Please?

Though, I suppose as we get most of the best versions of fps' it's kinda only fair that PC gets the best survival horror...I just wish we got SOME survival horror.

And no, AMY does not count. Ever.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Another game from the Amnesia guys? I don't care how loudly I screamed when I walked past the Iron Maiden, I'm getting the next one!

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Seeing as this game managed to reach my #1 scariest experience in my life, I can't wait to see what else they can come up with in the Amnesia series :3 *Excited*

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Doclector said:
we get most of the best versions of fps
AHAHAHAHA no seriously, what

Anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath. Moving to console development is a big step, especially for a small indie like Frictional, which until Amnesia went big was on the verge of throwing in the towel. (Good story on that here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9011-The-Terrifying-Tale-of-Amnesia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9011-The-Terrifying-Tale-of-Amnesia]) I find it hard to envision a move to consoles in its near future.

And to be honest, I don't know how it'd work. PC gaming is inherently more claustrophobic than consoles; with a console you're leaning back on the couch, 10, 12, 15 feet away on a big screen tv in the living room, whereas a PC monitor is generally right in your face and there's a good chance you'll be leaning into it when something terrible happens. There's an intimacy to it that I think consoles lack, and that really powers the Amnesia experience.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Doclector said:
we get most of the best versions of fps
AHAHAHAHA no seriously, what
Mostly due to the cases of terrible ports. Remember the crysis 2 "start" screen? I don't have a long enough fuse to deal with that kind of stupidity.

Anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath. Moving to console development is a big step, especially for a small indie like Frictional, which until Amnesia went big was on the verge of throwing in the towel. (Good story on that here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9011-The-Terrifying-Tale-of-Amnesia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9011-The-Terrifying-Tale-of-Amnesia]) I find it hard to envision a move to consoles in its near future.

And to be honest, I don't know how it'd work. PC gaming is inherently more claustrophobic than consoles; with a console you're leaning back on the couch, 10, 12, 15 feet away on a big screen tv in the living room, whereas a PC monitor is generally right in your face and there's a good chance you'll be leaning into it when something terrible happens. There's an intimacy to it that I think consoles lack, and that really powers the Amnesia experience.
Hmm. Good point. Still, with my paranoia regarding giving my details out, and me looking at the technical requirements, and with my obviously vast knowledge of PCs, thinking that if my laptop had these things, they'd probably be "shiny", it doesn't look like I'm going to get any real survival horror for a long time.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
welp im looking forward to this, i have also spent far tolong trying to figure out hat china map thing, it doesnt appear to be centralised on anything other then a rice field, so mybe its just a general "the game will be set in china"......maybe im just looking too much into it ha