Amnesia: The Dark Descent

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
"You're a regular guy who has unwittingly involved himself in something far beyond his own power and understanding."

Isn't it exactly who Gordon Freeman is?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
ouch111 said:
"You're a regular guy who has unwittingly involved himself in something far beyond his own power and understanding."

Isn't it exactly who Gordon Freeman is?
The One Free Man at least gets a crowbar and a suit fit for combat. Imagine playing HL:2 as one of the jumpsuit wearing citizens that craps their pants at the very mention of the combine.

I haven't played AtDD but I may try it, I get the idea that you have to use wits and stealth to win, and I kinda like that.

Although it would be nice to have a weapon to fall back on.... even something as simple... as a crowbar :)

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:
The One Free Man at least gets a crowbar and a suit fit for combat. Imagine playing HL:2 as one of the jumpsuit wearing citizens that craps their pants at the very mention of the combine.

I haven't played AtDD but I may try it, I get the idea that you have to use wits and stealth to win, and I kinda like that.

Although it would be nice to have a weapon to fall back on.... even something as simple... as a crowbar :)
I know Gordon gets an edge because he has access to weaponry, but he's technically a normal bloke. I don't think a PHD in Quantum Physics really helps when faced with blood thirsty monsters and soldiers. Also, he was used by G-Man, thus the whole "You're a regular guy who has unwittingly involved himself in something far beyond his own power and understanding."

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Teeth Kicker said:
JoeCool385 said:
Hmmm.... I'll have to look out for a Steam sale.

You totally missed the Steam Halloween sale. It went from $19.99 to $13.49 for a good 4 days.
Impulse had it for $10 in their Halloween sale and that is where I picked it up. I have not played it yet due to distractions in my life but I enjoyed the demo!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well, you're two months behind the curve on this one Shamus, but at least the game is getting some recognition!

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
I loved Penumbra, and when I saw Amnesia on Steam, I thought 'I must have this'. Even better was I pre-purchased it, so I shaved $5 off the price.

So, I'm walking through castle... B something or rather. It doesn't matter that it's called, main thing is it's fucking terrifying. I know there isn;t any bad guys after me - no health potions yet. Frictional wouldn't do that to me.

But they accomplish so much with sound, expecially during that Archives part. Jesus christ, the audio in that was enough to make me save the game, turn it off, and not play it again for a full two or three hours.

The wine cellar is pretty scary - first glimpse at the Grunt. That's a horrifyingly scary experience, especially when the bastard just looks at you from across the room, not walking towards you, your mind slowly slipping into insanity. Turns out you actually have to walk towards him to get him to walk away.

So, after very carefully making my way out, and a little while after that, I head into the storage.

Holy fucking shit.

I was stupid enough to investigate that little room to the side. I didn;t know some bastard Grunt would spawn behind me.
That was the first time I saw one, and writing this even now, with all that time between my first encounter with that... thing, it's still fresh in my mind.

It's face. Oh christ. And the hideous screech, like nails down a chalkboar

Sorry, paused to look behind me. Point is, I'll never forget it.

So, I forge my way through the Storage, NOT going into that fucking side room, and eventually get to the point where I need to make my way back to the entrance.

Alrighty, I'll just sneak past Mr. NoJaw here, and *crunch* Huurg? *SCREEEEEEEEEEEEE-

OH SHIT.

OH SHIT.

FUCK.

I charged out of there. Screw stealth; this bastard was out to carve me a new face hole and I wasn't going to take any risks.
I think I outran him, but I didn't look behind me. So, of course, I run head first into the other Grunt waiting patiently for my to arrive.

Bottom-jaw-missing, zombie-like prick.

Ran around him, knowing that if I didn't make it to the door in under 3 seconds I would be carved to ribbons.

Just.
Damn near fell of my chair from the adrenaline surging through my system.

Is Amnesia: The Dark Descent a good game? Yes and no. If you like being scared, yes. Absolutely yes. This is your game. If you don't, then stay away from it. And if you don't like the 'stealth/hide/oh christ what the hell is that oh god oh god run' gameplay, I wouldn't recommend it for you either.

BUT, if you can get past those other two issues, the game is an absolute blast (as in, a blast in your pants, and not the happy kind), one that will make you fear the dark for pretty much the rest of your life.

Now, if someone could walk me through the Prison section, preferably in a calm, authoritive tone, that would be a lot of help.

Please. I fucking hate that place. I can't even make it past the first corridor.

TheWwwizard

Nov 13, 2010
I've played Resident Evil 4 and 5, and Dead Space, None of which scared me (Even though Dead Space was on the hardest difficulty) and I have to say, Amnesia is terrifying. One time I was so scared running from something I tried to chuck a brick at its head, which did absolutely nothing and fueled my fear since I had to get pretty close to it to chuck the brick in the first place.