An animated apocalyptic film

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I recently recalled watching a certain film more than a decade ago. It was an animated film in which a couple try to escape the death and destruction around them. The only specific thing I remember about it was its ending, in which they find that the source of all the mayhem was an anti-social nerdy gamer stereotype, for whom the whole thing is just a game.

Does anyone know the name of this film? I'd really like to rewatch it and remember what it was all about.

UPDATE: I recalled one more detail: The gamer that they find in the end looks at explosions and says something like "The colors! The beautiful colors!"

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
When the wind blows? It mixed miniature sets with hand drawn animation.

Also got a really creepy interpretation of a nuclear holocaust in England.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
When the wind blows? It mixed miniature sets with hand drawn animation.

Also got a really creepy interpretation of a nuclear holocaust in England.
Checked it on YouTube, and that's not it. The couple I mentioned was younger. At least the woman was young as far as I remember.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
residentout1 said:
was it western animation or Japanese animation
Pretty sure it was western. It didn't look like Anime. It was in English.

I just remembered one more thing: The gamer that they find in the end looks at explosions and says something like "The colors! The beautiful colors!" (updated original post).

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Uh, I haven't actually watched this movie myself, but I... think you might be describing Titan AE?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Saetha said:
Uh, I haven't actually watched this movie myself, but I... think you might be describing Titan AE?
Michael Tabbut said:
Did it have aliens involved in anyway? If so it might have been Titan AE. If not, I got nothing
It's not Titan AE. There weren't any aliens or space-related stuff as far as I can remember. I think there might've been robots.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Doom972 said:
Saetha said:
Michael Tabbut said:
Did it have aliens involved in anyway? If so it might have been Titan AE. If not, I got nothing
It's not Titan AE. There weren't any aliens or space-related stuff. I think there might've been robots.
Hmm...

Can you remember anything about the villain, beyond that one line? Any description of them - child, adult, teenager?

Captcha: of course.

Let the man speak for himself, captcha. Jeez.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Saetha said:
Doom972 said:
Saetha said:
Michael Tabbut said:
It's not Titan AE. There weren't any aliens or space-related stuff. I think there might've been robots.
Hmm...

Can you remember anything about the villain, beyond that one line? Any description of them - child, adult, teenager?

A chubby, childish teenager with a heavily pimpled face, as per the stereotype. He had glasses and I think he had red hair.

Captcha: cookie cutter. Yes, pretty much a cookie cutter evil nerd character.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Doom972 said:
Saetha said:
Doom972 said:
Saetha said:
Michael Tabbut said:
Hmm...

A chubby, childish teenager with a heavily pimpled face, as per the stereotype. He had glasses and I think he had red hair.

Captcha: cookie cutter. Yes, pretty much a cookie cutter evil nerd character.
Uh, well, I am coming up with... absolutely nothing. Man, I hate that feeling when you remember something but can't remember what it actually is... but this isn't ringing any bells for me and TvTropes isn't being helpful either. Sorry, I got nuthin'.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Are you sure that it was a feature length film? Did you see it on tv or in theaters? You are sure the original language for the film is English?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
ShogunGino said:
Are you sure that it was a feature length film? Did you see it on tv or in theaters? You are sure the original language for the film is English?
I'm not sure if it was feature length - it was probably not. I saw it on TV. Since there were subtitles in my native language (Hebrew), there was no reason for dubbing. Since I can remember that one line the villain said, I'm sure it was in English.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You might try putting that line from the villain into quotes in google and seeing if it pulls it up. I've done that multiple times with random lines I recall from an old movie, and had good results with google tracking it down for me.

try something like -movie quote: "The colors! The pretty colors!" animated film- or some variation thereof.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Doom972 said:
ShogunGino said:
I'm not sure if it was feature length - it was probably not. I saw it on TV. Since there were subtitles in my native language (Hebrew), there was no reason for dubbing. Since I can remember that one line the villain said, I'm sure it was in English.
When you said 'a decade ago' do you mean more or less than a decade? Is it possible that the channel you saw it on has a website that may show what programs or films have been aired on it?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
ShogunGino said:
Doom972 said:
ShogunGino said:
When you said 'a decade ago' do you mean more or less than a decade? Is it possible that the channel you saw it on has a website that may show what programs or films have been aired on it?
I watched it sometime between 1999-2003. The channel it was on doesn't have any relevant information on its website.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Doom972 said:
I watched it sometime between 1999-2003. The channel it was on doesn't have any relevant information on its website.
Since you got me so curious, I've been trying to scan every source that I can. I'm a big animation fan, and to hear something like this has somehow slipped under my radar is making me want to find it.

Just a few more questions, since you're not sure that it's feature length, could it have been a television show rather than a movie? About how long do you recall it being?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
ShogunGino said:
Doom972 said:
Since you got me so curious, I've been trying to scan every source that I can. I'm a big animation fan, and to hear something like this has somehow slipped under my radar is making me want to find it.

Just a few more questions, since you're not sure that it's feature length, could it have been a television show rather than a movie? About how long do you recall it being?
It was definitely not part of a TV series. I really can't recall how long it was, sorry.