An anime recommendation thread for someone who has not watched anime in 4 years.....

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
Hello, escapists!! I have come to ask you all if you have any anime you could recommend to someone like me. I have hardly watched anime in about 4 years. I tried to twice then stopped. So I was wondering if any of you have some anime to recommend. And I bet you would like to know some of the anime I watched. Well I'll try to remember to the best of my ability. I think I watched...

Have Watched:
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto
A bit of One Piece
Dragonball Z
FLCL
Some episodes of Rave Master

Currently watching:
Kill la Kill

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
If you liked Cowboy Bebop, check out Samurai Shamploo.
If you liked Rave Master, check out Fairy Tail.

If you haven't seen Fullmetal Alchelmist: Brotherhood, do so.
Also, Monster is worth a view.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Elfen Lied- surprisingly good to be honest
High School of the Dead- while it has megatonne of fanservice, I originally went into it with thought that I'll hate it. And I was surprised- it was everything I expected it to be, but I can't hate it, if anything I like it. It is just braindead fun
Also Steins;Gate- it is really good

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
If you like Kill la Kill, then check out Gurren Lagann, it's by the same guys.

It's so fucking good.
Just watched this a couple weeks ago, Daystar speaks the truth.

I watched the subbed version but I hear the English dub was also really good. I can give you a 48 hour guest pass for Crunchyroll (which has Gurren Lagann available) if you want it. It's made with heart and really uplifting, a nice break from the grimdark cynicism of the next 3 animes I'm recommending below.

Black Lagoon is also pretty damn good, if you like the idea of Quentin Tarantino and John Woo making an anime. It has some seriously kickass female characters, great action scenes, GUNS GUNS GUNS, and some of the later story arcs are fantastic. The only major problem I have is the lack of tension during fights, as the main characters have powerful plot shields while the mooks are less competent than your average redshirt.

I feel Attack on Titan is overrated and that the fanbased tends to overlook a lot of its flaws, but in the end, it's still a good show and is worth your time watching.

Fate/Zero if you want something incredibly mature, well written, fairly intelligent and made using a budget that could fund a medium sized war. There is no fanservice, which I'm sure many here would appreciate, but considering you watch Kill la Kill, I don't think that's a factor.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is an intelligent anime set in the world in which humanity itself has been digitized. If you find transhumanism interesting, take a look at this. It's basically a cop show, except those cops are cyborgs that work with AI tanks who fight cybercrime (such as brainhacking and other horrors that happen when you turn the soul into data).

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I'm just going to list some favorites that I think you might like based on what you've watched. With some random ones thrown in that are a bit outside of the genre you seem to like cause you never know.

Seirei no Morbito
Abenobashi shopping arcade
Kyoukai no Kanata
Azumanga daioh
Slam Dunk
Lupin the third
Tenchi Muyo
Ao no exorcist
Great teacher onizuka
Magi
Last Exile
Star Driver
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai 7
Working
Yu Yu Hakusho

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Watch the first 8 or so episodes of Attack on Titan. It's really good! Afterwards watch at your own peril, cuz lame things be happening from then on.

If you're in the mood for random goofball comedy, watch Nichijou. It's really more of a "clip" show, as in 'watch clips of it on Youtube and you'll likely get the same experience', but it's one of the more talented shows out there today.

Also, check out the one-off OVA Little Witch Academia. One of the best darn anime you'll ever see.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Your choices seem to be mostly action heavy. I'd recommend Black Lagoon and Full Metal Alchemist. Black Lagoon has rather mediocre characters and stories (with some exceptions) but the action and animating is pretty great. FMA is better in my opinion because it has more of an overarching story with better characters and relationships. The action is pretty good too.

If your willing to watch something with no action, Anohana is a fantastic 11 episode series. It's about a group of friends dealing with their guilt over the death of their childhood friend five years before. Very sad, yet incredibly uplifting.

Also Death Note. If you haven't watched that before do it now! No questions just do it!

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
How does Attack on Titan compare to something like Black Lagoon or Full Metal Alchemist? My roommate loves AoT and is bugging me to watch it, but he did the same with Black Lagoon and I've found that only OK (about 3/4 through that).

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Others love it because no one god dang talks during fight scenes, since it's trying to be mature and serious.
Caramel Frappe said:
For example, in animes like Naruto and Bleach- despite the good guy might be losing, you can bet he/she'll be fine. A lot of struggling, only to get a power up and defeat the villain. Not in AoT. No, even good guys die. Even the MAIN CHARACTERS can die. That's why it makes me on edge because no one is safe. Even if they're fighting their best, sometimes it's not enough. I'd at least say give AoT a try and if you love it, awesome! If not, no biggy. Not for everyone :)
Okay I think I'm going to watch this now. Two of the things that bugs me about Black Lagoon are the fact that they have full conversations in the middle of a gunfight and the main cast have ridiculous plot armor. I understand that they're highly skilled individuals but two people running parallel firing dual pistols at each other somehow miss every shot. It breaks the immersion, especially when said characters can take down entire rooms full of people on their own.

Man I have a lot of anime to watch. AoT, Stein's Gate, Ghost in the Shell, Fate Zero. Damn it I have exams to study for :(

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Death Note was the anime I watched after my own anime hiatus and got me back into it, so if you haven't already you can check that out.

Other than that, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It's a magical girl anime (like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors) with a fairly cutesy art style (My avatar is from said show). However, it's not quite as you expect. Without spoiling anything, it's a much darker interpretation of the sub-genre, and a fantastic one at that. It also has one of the best anime soundtracks in recent years.
Caramel Frappe said:
By the way...
Wouldn't your avatar be considered a spoiler?

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
Demolition_Human said:
Hello, escapists!! I have come to ask you all if you have any anime you could recommend to someone like me. I have hardly watched anime in about 4 years. I tried to twice then stopped. So I was wondering if any of you have some anime to recommend. And I bet you would like to know some of the anime I watched. Well I'll try to remember to the best of my ability. I think I watched...

Have Watched:
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto
A bit of One Piece
Dragonball Z
FLCL
Some episodes of Rave Master

Currently watching:
Kill la Kill
There's two airing this season that really stand out for me.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Log Horizon.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Caramel Frappe said:
OT: Shingeki no Kyojin [http://www.gogoanime.com/category/shingeki-no-kyojin]

Please, you must. I'm not going to force you or demand that you check it out, but the series is truly incredible.
Another name it goes by is 'Attack on Titan'. It's about humanity living behind the walls since the lands are filled with titans. For some reason, the titans eat people despite they don't need to. The anime is amazing, there's no fan service and people can die. Truly something different from most animes i've seen and it's without a doubt my favorite up to date.
I came here to recommend this. I 100% agree with Caramel on watching Shingeki no Kyojin. I'm quite picky when it comes to anime, I'm not a huge fan of the genre. I've only watched and liked a few, but Shingeki no Kyojin is soooooo good and definitely worth checking out.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Recently came across an anime called Another. Simplest way to describe it would be to call it an anime version of the Final Destination films but this actually makes sense.....kind of.

JSF16

Jul 8, 2011
anthony87 said:
Recently came across an anime called Another. Simplest way to describe it would be to call it an anime version of the Final Destination films but this actually makes sense.....kind of.
Another struck me as a beta-version of Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni with such a similar setting, concept, and character names. Not bad by any means, but I think if you're into Another then you should doubtlessly try Higurashi.

Other than that, my go-to recommendations for anime would be either Black Lagoon or Baccano.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Well, Dangan Ronpa is pretty good. I like it, in a "Saw meets Hunger Games" kind of way
Gotta recommend Hunter X Hunter, which is probably my favorest anime of ever. It's amazing in so many ways.
hmmm.... Keiji is a good one too, it's an anime about gambling and such.
Another more obscure anime title is called "Cuticle Detective Inaba" Which is basically about a werewolf detective fighting a rip-off of Team Rocket. that series was solid gold for me.
Ever play Persona 4? or Blazblue? then I'll recommend the respective anime adaptions of those too, hell, I'll recommend them anyways, they're good

that's about it, I think.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
Kill la Kill and Fooly Cooly are great, but Gurren Lagann didn't grab me for some reason. Anyway...

- Attack on Titan is quite good, it's a dark shounen type deal, but the pacing isn't great. It's also pretty over the top, but in an enjoyable way.

- From the New World/ Shin Sekai Yori is one of my favourites, it's about a society of people with telekinetic powers living in in a seemingly utopian society, which of course has a creepy government conspiracy running it. It gets really good towards the end and slows down in the middle. Not too many action scenes, but in the ones we do get we get are pretty damn awesome.

- Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a darker and edgier/deconstructive magical girl anime, and it's quite good even if you don't really like the genre (like me). Also, as Kira Must Die noted above me, a kickass soundtrack.

- Psycho-Pass is set in a future Japan where crime is determined by numbers in a person's soul. If they exceed a certain number they're given therapy or in extreme cases thrown in prison. It's about a group of cops who get called in when someone's numbers are over the limit.

-Magi: Labrynth of Magic is a pretty decent shounen show, with some unfortunate pacing issues towards the end of the first season.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Can anyone recommend me an anime that has an end already, particularly dramas with interesting characters or that subvert genres?
For a reference, I tend to like anime like Wolf's Rain, Death Note, Trigun, and The Count of Monte Cristo.

As for you OP, I pretty much recommend the things I just listed above.
And anything from Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Paranoia Agent)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd recommend either:

Baccano- fun, fast-paced and crazy with a great story and lots of fun characters... though it may take a few watches to understand.

or

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - don't be fooled by the pretty appearance, the story for this one is deeper than you think. Jusat watch the first few episodes and give it a try... but avoid any spoilers. I mean it. This is an anime best gone into spoiler blind.