An emotional moment your mind ruins

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
It's not so much emotional as it is momentous, but in Halo: Reach
When Dr. Halsey gives Cortana to Noble Six for safe keeping, the conversation goes:
Halsey: Do you have it?
Noble Six: Yes.
Halsey: Say the words, please.
Noble Six: I have it.
*Takes Cortana*

Every time I watch that, my mind always comes up with the same stupid scenario:
Noble Six: I have it...OOPS!

*CRASH*
It always elicits at least a chuckle from me.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
It's not so much emotional as it is momentous, but in Halo: Reach
When Dr. Halsey gives Cortana to Noble Six for safe keeping, the conversation goes:
Noble Six: I have it.
*Takes Cortana*

Every time I watch that, my mind always comes up with the same stupid scenario:
Noble Six: I have it...OOPS!

*CRASH*
It always elicits at least a chuckle from me.
I always hoped noble 6 would burst into this as a response

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Just after 9/11 my school held a 5-minute silence in honor of those who lost their lives there. My only thought was "if someone broke into this school now, nobody could stop them cause they'd have to move and talk" and I just cracked up laughing out loud in the middle of the room. My god you should have seen my teacher's face. Fuckin priceless! haha

There was also the time my boyfriend was GOING to give me our first kiss as a couple and my mind was filled with memories of Russell Howard's standup routines with him saying "honestly Marie his dick was so big I wanted to phone you" so of course I had to giggle. Effective moment-ruiner, right there.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
thatman said:
When any party member or otherwise dies in any kind of j-rpg i can't help but think - oh, so if they fall in battle, i can just use my phoenix down or equivalent, but if they die in a cut-scene there's nothing i can do about it...Yeah, well this sucks :(.
I know, right? Because no JRPGs ever call it "KO" or "Down" when somebody gets knocked down in-battle.

Oh wait, that is nearly always the case. How silly of me.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
At my grandfather's funeral, I was very upset to the point where I think my mind wanted to escape it...because I ended up walking through two sets of doubles doors, for a moment realised I was between two sets of glass doors, and I thought it would be appropriate to slap the doors while screaming:

"I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!"

thatman

Feb 16, 2011
mireko said:
thatman said:
When any party member or otherwise dies in any kind of j-rpg i can't help but think - oh, so if they fall in battle, i can just use my phoenix down or equivalent, but if they die in a cut-scene there's nothing i can do about it...Yeah, well this sucks :(.
I know, right? Because no JRPGs ever call it "KO" or "Down" when somebody gets knocked down in-battle.

Yeah i know they often use that phrase (but not always) but tbh i don't personally see how the character is 'down' after being hit by some boss's super-mega-uber-death attack and yet are dead when stabbed by a sword or otherwise.
However, i suppose you technically are right cos they don't specifically state it as death half thetime, so i'll give you that one.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
I was watching a Jackie Chan movie, I think it was drunken boxing, at the theater with my brothers and Dad. There was some part where one of the guys Chan was fighting was set on fire. For some reason I was the only person laughing in the theater. Combustion is funny dammit!

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
thatman said:
Yeah i know they often use that phrase (but not always) but tbh i don't personally see how the character is 'down' after being hit by some boss's super-mega-uber-death attack and yet are dead when stabbed by a sword or otherwise.
Yeah, that is pretty weird.

Which.. in a way moves this post to being on-topic: Whenever there's an emotional moment with a character getting killed I often find myself thinking that I could definitely have taken that guy. Using cutscenes to kill off my characters should be considered cheating.

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
Just after 9/11 my school held a 5-minute silence in honor of those who lost their lives there. My only thought was "if someone broke into this school now, nobody could stop them cause they'd have to move and talk" and I just cracked up laughing out loud in the middle of the room. My god you should have seen my teacher's face. Fuckin priceless! haha

There was also the time my boyfriend was GOING to give me our first kiss as a couple and my mind was filled with memories of Russell Howard's standup routines with him saying "honestly Marie his dick was so big I wanted to phone you" so of course I had to giggle. Effective moment-ruiner, right there.
I think you Russel Howard quote just made my day

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
several as a matter of fact...

I burst out laughing during Inception ("MAL!!! NOOOOOGGHGHHUUUUOOOOO!!!! JJJJJJJJJ-EEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSUUUUUSSSSSSSSS CCCCCCC-HRIIIIIIIISSSTTTT!!!!")

While watching the "hair touching scene" in Of Mice and Men, I had to keep myself from laughing. I closed my eyes and all I heard was John Malkovitch panting. I then instantly thought of Ranier Wolfcastle from the Simpsons ("MY EYES, ZE GOGGLES, ZEY DO NAHTING!!!")

Also, I had to keep from laughing during all of Of Mice and Men, mainly because I knew who John Malkovitch was, so I kept imagining him being told his motivation was that he was mentally handicapped

that's all I can think of right now, but I know I have WAY more...

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Wow, when don't I ruin a moment? My pervy mind is constantly destroying touching scenes.

For example: While watching Spiderman 3 with my friend at the cinema we were constantly saying things like, "Emo-Spidey go!" and any scene with Peter and Harry basically went, "Peter, I love you. Let us kiss with tongue! *weird sound effects*".

And Harry's death scene! Oh my word, were we bad little girls...

Sure, we were whispering this, but I think the group of 13 year old boys sitting next to us wanted to kill us. Slowly. With a spoon. A dull spoon.

Then there was the first time I played FF9 (a game I love btw); I kept saying Kuja's lines out loud in a French accent. And Zidane was American South. My afore-mentioned friend wanted to kill me that time. Ah, good times... xD

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Any video game sex scene.

Male: "Aaaahh!"

Female: "Ooh! Ooh! OH!"

Male: "I - I -"

Me: "I wonder if they feel like polyester."

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Okay, pretty much the entirety of the Clannad series.

Fuko's Arc: I was too busy wondering to my self how the specter Fuko got her hands on a school uniform and all that wood for carving to really go "Oh yeah, she's clinically dead losing the ability to astral project or whatever and might fail in her quest."

Kotomi's Arc: This was a little due to my inability for suspension of disbelief, but i couldn't help wonder who took care of Kotomi for the years she lived alone after her parents died when her social retardation lead her to believe that her legal guardian was somehow tied to her parents death. Also it seemed unusual that a bus crash caused her to flip out when she never witnessed her parents death. Maybe she's traumatically afraid of vehicle trouble.

Tomoyo's Arc: This was more due to my status as an only child and not being able to understand the pain she went through to support some asshole who just happened to have the same parents.

Nagisa's Arc: ...just how dense is she?! I saw the plot twist about her father's former career coming by episode six!

After Story was even worse.

Sunohara Family Arc: ...the implied pedophilia of Tomoya and Mei... i just can't help but laugh.

Yukine Arc: Okay, obviously punks aren't going to be the brightest of intellects, but just how did they not know about the death of their boss? Didn't any of them read the obituaries?

Tomoya/Nagisa Family Arc: They didn't have a weather channel? Tomoya didn't think "Hm... we have a blizzard warning, better move Nagisa to the hospital now?" What morons!

Ushio Arc: Okay, so they know their daughter died of a wasting illness. They didn't think to get their granddaughter checked for that same wasting illness before she came into a room, announced her severe constipation and collapsed? Way to go dipshits!

The Ending: Okay, i actually did understand why Tomoya would risk moving Ushio. It was clear that she didn't have much time, the only thing he could do was try to make her happy. The fact that his efforts fail, she dies, and he rolls over and likely dies himself might have been apocalyptically depressing, but damnit at least they tried something new.

...but then they pull some kind of poorly established plot device out of their ass and retcon Nagisa, Ushio, and Fuko. THAT pissed me off.

Plus when i found out Rosebud was the sled, i had to wonder, how'd he get the sled back anyway?

ChippedShoulder

Nov 10, 2010
thatman said:
mireko said:
thatman said:

However, i suppose you technically are right cos they don't specifically state it as death half thetime, so i'll give you that one.
That would be because the mobs are sadistic bastards. They deliberately blunt their blades until the one moment when it will be most devastating (read: funny) to lose a party member. I love JRPGs :D

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Everytime i see Shinji's death I think if only he had Null Pierce

On a more awkward note I watched a video on drunk driving in a health class and all I could think about was that the victim sounded like Mr.Macky from South Park.Most people didn't feel the same way

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
thatman said:
Oh there's one I forgot about - I got FF7 like 10 years after release and knew aeris was going to die - my sister who loves watching FF games did not. So death scene comes she's on the verge of tears and I'm laughing my ass off because her eyes look ridiculous in that scene

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SPIOLERS

in splice when clive gets caught doing it with dren, elsa is like WTF??? and runs away, like any sane person would, theres a long shot of him running after her car with no shirt, there was jsut somthing so hilarious about it, like it belonged in a comedy and we are all thinking "yeah? well what do you expect?"