An "Gaming" Journalist says Red Dead Redemption 2 should be in modern era

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Smithnikov said:

Do you want Gamergaters? BECAUSE THIS IS HOW WE GET GAMERGATERS!
Something, something, welcome to the DANGER ZONE.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Smithnikov said:

The funniest thing, that article had been without comments for over a year, and suddenly a new bunch of complains appeared out of nowhere since two days ago. In fact, where did the OP hear about it in the first place? I think you're right, sir. This thread seems GG-bait.

Can we move this to Game Industry Discussion please?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
CaitSeith said:
Smithnikov said:

The funniest thing, that article had been without comments for over a year, and suddenly a new bunch of complains appeared out of nowhere since two days ago. In fact, where did the OP hear about it in the first place? I think you're right, sir. This thread seems GG-bait.

Gamergate, really? But the article doesn't have a feminist viewpoint or mention accessibility or inclusivity like all "teh SJW's" are always going on about. So what in the article could the GGators possibly care about?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Kyrian007 said:
CaitSeith said:
Smithnikov said:

Gamergate, really? But the article doesn't have a feminist viewpoint or mention accessibility or inclusivity like all "teh SJW's" are always going on about. So what in the article could the GGators possibly care about?
A games journalist with an unconventional opinion. See, because they aren't "real gamers", and are thus wrong-thinkers who're bringing down the industry with their massive yet irrelevant pull.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Chimpzy said:
Wouldn't that basically make it GTA? Unless whoever wrote that means modern era rural areas, kind of like Far Cry 5.
This. In either case, such a game exists on both counts. Far Cry 2-5 and GTA (pick one).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
altnameJag said:
Kyrian007 said:
CaitSeith said:
Smithnikov said:

A games journalist with an unconventional opinion. See, because they aren't "real gamers", and are thus wrong-thinkers who're bringing down the industry with their massive yet irrelevant pull.
Gamergate was about game journalists? All I heard was complaints about the feminazi SJW's.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Kyrian007 said:
altnameJag said:
Kyrian007 said:
CaitSeith said:
Smithnikov said:

Gamergate was about game journalists? All I heard was complaints about the feminazi SJW's.
I thought it was about gamers being dead or some such. By feminazis

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
trunkage said:
Kyrian007 said:
altnameJag said:
Kyrian007 said:
CaitSeith said:

I thought it was about gamers being dead or some such. By feminazis
Wait, now I'm remembering. Women and their SJWs were saying gamers are dead. And the ggators were fighting to keep the women and minorities out of gaming to keep it alive... or something like that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Kyrian007 said:
In any case, the OP has been more of a complain about a journalist than a discussion about a game. Unless we start discussing what a modern version of Red Dead Redemption could do different to GTA (or something like that), I don't see why this thread shouldn't go to the Game Industry Discussion forums.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?m guessing every other person already said this but that game already exists, and it?s called Grand Theft Auto.

Westerns aren?t westerns when the time frame is removed.
*Cough*

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewOldWest

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceWestern

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CattlePunk

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Arnoxthe1 said:
Chimpzy said:
Wouldn't that basically make it GTA? Unless whoever wrote that means modern era rural areas, kind of like Far Cry 5.
This. In either case, such a game exists on both counts. Far Cry 2-5 and GTA (pick one).
God forbid we have two different games explore similar things right?[footnote]This is conceding your completely unsubstantiated idea that a more modern RDR would be exactly like GTA[/footnote] I mean once we had the first Medal of Honor game, no other WW2 shooter should never have been made; the sheer idea of someone daring to think otherwise makes me upset at their stupidity.

edit: On a bit less sarcastic note, see errtheking's post above.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Avnger said:
God forbid we have two different games explore similar things right?[footnote]This is conceding your completely unsubstantiated idea that a more modern RDR would be exactly like GTA[/footnote] I mean once we had the first Medal of Honor game, no other WW2 shooter should never have been made; the sheer idea of someone daring to think otherwise makes me upset at their stupidity.

edit: On a bit less sarcastic note, see errtheking's post above.
I didn't say it would be EXACTLY like GTA. But the differences I think would be so minor as to not justify purchasing it. Blood Dragon was like that, gameplay-wise. Sure, it was hella funny, but the game played almost exactly like a somewhat stripped down Far Cry 3 with neon lights attached to everything. Sorry, but for me, that's not enough.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?m guessing every other person already said this but that game already exists, and it?s called Grand Theft Auto.

Westerns aren?t westerns when the time frame is removed.
GTA is mostly set in a city, and even when it isn't, it still is all about gangster and heist tropes rather than wild west ones. So no, it wouldn't be GTA if you set a western game in the modern day. Stylistically, Red Dead and GTA are a million miles apart.

Also, Westerns are Westerns, regardless of the time frame. The article gives No Country for Old Men as an example. You've also got things like Hell or High Water, or even A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (and for reference, that's also an Iranian romance movie about a vampire hipster). I've just watched Three Billboards in Ebbing, Missouri, and whilst I wouldn't call it a Western, it very nearly is. Location isn't super important either; The Good the Bad The Weird is in 1930s Manchuria, and Kekexili: Mountain Patrol is set in modern day China. They are unquestionably Western movies, even without being set in the actual west era or location. Western as a genre embodies a mix of aesthetics, tropes and plot lines, it is not a strict rule book of how to tell a story. It's sort of like saying Noire stories can only be set in Urban America, whilst having never heard of a little thing called Casablanca.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
altnameJag said:
Kyrian007 said:
CaitSeith said:
Smithnikov said:

Righto! TO THE MINISTRY OF LOVE WITH THEM!

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Basically you take out the humor out of GTA V and you have yourself a modern RDR, personally i prefer things as they are.