An honest converstion

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
For a thread that wished to have an honest conversation, it went downhill quick.

I think it's best that I step out while I'm not involved in any flame wars.
I can understand the sentiment, but I am not certain anyone is actually being flamed here. I just want to hear what people think about the subject.

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
100 dollars to meet the guy? Isn't that the POINT of conventions? To meet people representing comics/video games/movies that you like?

But hell, if people want to waste their money on it, it's their choice. It isn't as if they are even strongly advertising it.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Honestly if the Escapist is bleeding money like this whole Yahtzee thing makes me think. As evidenced by all of the AdCaptchas they should probably ax most of the "comedians" on the site. I put the comedians in quotes because I honestly only find Yahtzee and the Loading Ready Run crew funny. Even then I think the Loading Ready Run crew is mostly miss, but since they do so much on this site thats to be expected and I don't blame them. Having to constantly come up with ideas for like 3-4 different shows every week can't be easy they do a decent job at it though.

If they get rid of the unfunny crap like Drinking Games, No Right Answer, etc. They'd have loads of money to send Yahtzee to PAX without asking us.

EDIT: I think its important that I point out they aren't forcing any members to donate money. If they were it'd be a completely different situation, however, you don't have to donate if you don't want to. People who want to will donate, but I honestly think they are getting ripped off if you ask me especially the fool that pays $5,000 just to have Yahtzee review a game for them. I could understand if it was a celebrity/musician/someone more important in the grand scheme of things than an internet reviewer. Even then though I'd still shake my head at the people that donated.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
Yeah, despite all that I've read from the above posters, I watched about 2 minutes of the video (and believe me, that was difficult enough), then wrote a passive-aggressive (more like passing-aggressive) comment and left. This kind of thing really infuriates me. When your only argument is finishing the last words of a sentence with a forced "amazed laugh", you have no argument to begin with.

The Becker

Jul 17, 2011
That guy is a fucking prick anyways.... if people want to pay to help Yahtzee fly to PAX power to them i'm not going to try to stop them

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Woodsey said:
I haven't seen anything to do with this on the site, but this same thread does keep popping up so:

The Escapist shouldn't be asking. And its in especially poor taste to ask right after people's donations to Allison from Extra Credits. Whether its a coincidence or they've decided to ride off of people's charitable nature, they shouldn't have asked (regardless of it being a voluntary donation).

I'm sure the site accumulates plenty of money from me alone when I have to sit through the same ad 10 times before the podcast will buffer past the minute-mark; if they were only just making enough to cover their own arses then the publishing group would let the magazine go.

So yeah, poor show all round.

EDIT: Just looked at the donation site which is the exact same one used for Allison. This is just... embarassing. People donate so that a woman can continue to work and isn't paralyzed for the rest of her life, and the Escapist decides to take advantage of this recent situation by asking people to donate for something they should be paying for. If he goes, you're doing it to increase your own exposure Escapist. Whoever called this just went down several notches in my book.

Shame on you.
the fact that they had to ask at all (in regards to alison) really makes me wonder about the helth systm in America...what a mess

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Watched the first video, stopped it around the 1 minute mark when his first really loud fake laugh gave me a headache.

OT: If people want to donate money for Yahtzee, that's their choice. I see no need in complaining about a completely optional donation service.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Geez, how many times are we going to give that troll publicity? I was under the impression that this site didn't make a whole lot of money. The fact that it can't handle all of the traffic on busier days is proof of that. I've seen Kross bring it up.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I honestly just don't get how the Escapist can't afford to send one person to Seattle, what are all the adverts for?

Plus why can't Yahtzee just take economy class, it's cheaper and depending on who he goes with it could still be good, does he have to have the best treatment available? Whether he goes economy or first class will not make a difference if he gets to Seattle, just the experience.

This doesn't really anger me as much as it just confuses me.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I don't understand why everyone is getting all uptight about this. People can do whatever they want to do with their own money and right now some people are being a bit hypocrites about this.

Case in Point. When news came that Detroit might get a RoboCop Statue I disagreed with it, called it a waste of money and said people shouldn't be funding something so worthless when there are much better alternatives that they could be spending it on. Needless to say I was in the minority here, as people said they can spend their money however they want to spend it.

Now that it's not something that's 'cool' people are getting all up in arms about this.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
The guy in the video sounds like a total douche. He's not just a tool, he's an entire hardware store.

That said, the whole campaign is a bit excessive.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
magnuslion said:
Hafrael said:
Wow, this guys a jerk.

The Escapist needs more money.
Please qualify your statement. In what way do you believe that the Escapist needs more money? please show proof or at least some idea that they are lacking money.
So you think they're rolling around in money, laughing at how rich they are compared to you?

Some day this site will come back down to Earth and realise that the Escapist Staff is full of people who HAVE JOBS AND MAKE MONEY JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. For some reason because they have one popular show, everyone assumes they're all living in gold-plated manors which are tailored to their every need.
actually, I did not say that at all.
I have no certain idea as to how much money this site makes from ads, adcaptchas, promotions, etc etc. But he was not citing a source as to how much the site makes. While I am saying "I do not know" Some of you are saying "I know that they dont make enough money because....of reasons"
I was asking him if he had any insight, any actual idea as the numbers. The same as I am now asking you. Do not mistake my intent. I have been a Yahtzee fan since youtube, and as I pointed out in my OP, if I was going to Pax, I would probably pay 100.00 for the chance to meet him and hang out with him.