An idea for a good video game movie

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Catkid906 said:
I know! A street Fighter film!

Kidding.
Actually, i enjoyed street fighter alpha the movie, so as long as it's animated it would kick ass. Seriously, go on youtube and look it up, it's great.

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
Trivun said:
The joke wasn't funny, and given how long you've been here you should know we don't approve of trolls. Even when it's not an actual troll, but only a joke (like this one). As for 'recent events', have you been online over the past week? I didn't want to explicitly mention it, but I'm referring of course to the /b/ raiders over the weekend, and the MrBluray incident on Friday.
I know it wasn't very funny (sorry about that actually its simply a shit joke) and I haven't been here for the past week so I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

sonicspin

Nov 13, 2008
since they announced the ARE making a, "The Sims" Movie, I have a fear that no videogames are safe or sacred anymore...

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
jamesc said:
A full length feature film of team fortress two, written and directed by the same people who made the "meet the" trailers of course, and with the same art style as the the game obviously. I would pay a lot to see that, even though it couldn't really have a cohesive plot.

P.S. sorry this was so short and sloppy, I had to write it in a real hurry.
i agree totally and utterly with this concept!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
DraconianKing said:
I disagree. You kind of need a plot.
Also the general public would hate hearing "I'm cappin' A! Scout's around the corner!" and "We got Uber, push, push!"
You could easially add a plot. The movie wouldn't have to about the game. It could just be a action comedy involving the characters and tack on a plot.

I personally love this idea. I personally think with the exceptions its almost impossible to convert a game plot to a movie, simply because there isn't enough plot, or theres too much. A hell lot of games, even games with really good storys, don't have much of it. Most of the time its a few hours of fighting, then a bit of story, some more fighting, then a little story ect. The way its structured doesn't work in movie.

Thats why a game where there is no plot or the plot can be changed without much backlash from the fans would be perfect for a movie.

With Team Fortress 2 you simply have to take the characters, give them a simply plot (9 assassins are sent to take down a hit, but them must fight each other to get at it, possibly for money) then make the rest of the film TF2 style comedy and fucking awesome action. And all as a CG animation. Its a perfect idea.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Trivun said:
The joke wasn't funny, and given how long you've been here you should know we don't approve of trolls. Even when it's not an actual troll, but only a joke (like this one). As for 'recent events', have you been online over the past week? I didn't want to explicitly mention it, but I'm referring of course to the /b/ raiders over the weekend, and the MrBluray incident on Friday.
I know it wasn't very funny (sorry about that actually its simply a shit joke) and I haven't been here for the past week so I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
You didn't hurt anyone's feelings, I was just pointing out that it was in bad taste. Doesn't matter now anyway, let's just forget about it now, OK?

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
Trivun said:
You didn't hurt anyone's feelings, I was just pointing out that it was in bad taste. Doesn't matter now anyway, let's just forget about it now, OK?
Forget about what? (See what I did there?)

Also I agree entirely with OP, a TF2 movie would actually work I think.

Joggi

Feb 18, 2009
Left 4 Dead, Half Life (no speaking from the main character, yikes!) and possibly Grand theft auto?

CruzChaos

Feb 25, 2009
GoliathJT said:
I think they could do a lot with Starcraft. Starcraft was a game that went hand in hand with the story (mostly).
Anyone who says Metroid should be turned into a movie is wrong. The Metroid games were good but the whole game is you and you alone so it would get boring to have the main character be a mute who doesn't make any sounds other than AH every time she is hit.

Halo movie is in production, so cross that off.

And in every thread:
Final Fantasy 4
Unless you make the main characters voice altered by the mask they are wearing so it sounds robotic or deep and gruff (Think Batman Begins). They could remove the mask at the end.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
How about "Five Days a Stranger"? Can I have my sucking up to Yahtzee badge now?

Anyway, in all seriousness, the prospect of adapting something expressed in one medium to another medium is, in general, a step down. I have yet to hear of any adaptation from book to movie that was as good as the original book, and this is the most polished form of adaptation ever.

The plots of video games are designed for video games. The plot is built interactively. The dialogue is supposed to be short and sweet. It builds emotions interactively.

Inevitably, with a movie adaptation, you're going to have a team of people who don't actually understand what makes the characters tick. It's easy to try to imitate the outward actions, but if the writers aren't in tune with the characters, if the characters didn't emerge from the writer's cognitive womb, then the movie will have the texture of bad anime filler. Conversely, the people who created the characters in the video game probably can't express the same characters in a movie.

Also, a movie can't possibly portray a story where the player character has an extreme amount of free will if they are to stay with the subject matter. Unless of course they do some lame gimmick where they end the movie without an ending and let the audience decide what happened. I never watched the sopranos, and even I know that didn't work.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
LordChhaya said:
I think they should make a film out of Ico or Shadow of the Colossus or both
But the difference would be that the movie has a story( for Shadow at least)

The Darkness would make a good movie since it's story was awsome ( and nothing like the comic)

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Razes Hell!
omg i cant beleive I forgot about this game. You can impale freak'n TELETUBIES!!!!

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
I agree with whoever said Psychonauts, because it would be awesome and there's a possibility they could convince Double Fine to make a sequel if the movie does well.

For less than five seconds I considered saying it would be nice to have a Mass Effect movie, but then I remembered that everyone would be disappointed because the guy would look like the standard guy you use if you don't create your own character, and he would probably make completely different decisions.

A Metroid movie might work if they did Metroid Prime 3, because you'd have other people in the movie occasionally, but then everyone would miss out on all the crazy stuff that happened in the other games, so they'd have to remake those with more people first.

Not sure how I feel about movie versions of games with silent protagonists, like Halo, Half-Life, and Legend of Zelda, on the one hand they would have to give them voices (or faces in Halo's case, and maybe not even that, they manged three games without showing what he looked like), and this would probably ruin it for some people because they imagined it some other way, on the other hand it would be nice to see these in movie form, and possibly worth the disappointment that it doesn't sound like I thought.

I guess Link does technically have a voice, but I bet that guy sounds a lot different when he's not going "Yaaaaa!"