An issue of Human Morality... I think?

DiZtAnT

Oct 20, 2010
Okay, so.
Me and my friends play lots of PC games, specifically as part of the free-to-play MOBA genre if you know what i mean. We all use the Ventrilo client to keep in touch with one another while gameing.

We all know eachother in real life, and have come to a mass disagreement with the owner of the vent, and as a result, had been looking for a new Vent server. I happened to have some lying around that I had on my server list due to randoms I had met up and played previously, so we just joined one at random and hoped for the best.

During one of our games, a random joined our channel and started asking what a troll was, and why people kept calling him one. We explained it in satire, assuming that he was in reality, a troll.

We continued talking, about the games. His accent was thick and he spoke in odd terms, I assumed he was forign or something like that. One of my friends, tired of the "Troll" Muted him, and it was through this that we found out that he was in fact, the owner of THIS vent. The mute resulted in a swift ban, however it was revoked once we explained the situation.

Because a large amount of us had moved over to this vent at once, I inquired as to if it would be abig deal or not for me to request a channel on the bottom of the list in our name. He said it wouldnt be a big deal, and I was happy about this.
He then asked if we could be friends, and I agreed, assuming he meant in-game.

He then created a channel named, "_______________'s best friends forever! (No F*****s allowed"

This was the first clue that something was not right.
He then asked if we would like to see a video of him, and we all declined, still unsure of his nature as a Troll. He clearly wanted us to see it, as he began to describe it and "Was just going to leave it in his PM incase we changed our minds."

When we told him we would be friends, he instantly became very excited, extatic even. We then played a single game with him and he expressed slightly below average playerskill. Intentional killstealing, making excuses whenever he screwed up.
We thought nothing of it.

Me being an amatuer musician, after the game I decided I wanted to go and play my drums for awhile. I started a new lobby and invited all my real friends and just went afk, as we usually do between games. He took this the wrong way, and assumed we were trying to get him to leave, so he asked us.

Questions like if we just wanted him to go away like everyone else, and that he wouldnt mind leaving.
The thing is, to be brutally honest, we didn't really care one way or the other, but out of common courtesty I told him we did not mind he he stayed.
We still went AFK though, and because of this he left the channel.

As we began to gradually return to vent, we talked about the oddity that he was. I said something allong the lines of, "It's a bit creepy he would name the channel that."

Upon finishing this statement, he returned to our channel and began to rage at us, we could easily hear the tears behind his voice though.
"Your just like everyone else"
"Everyone hates me"
Generic stuff like that. I tried to explain the misunderstanding, however he would not have it.
It occured to us that he had placed a "Phantom" inside of our channel in order to listen in on us.
Feeling a bit confused, I clicked the link to his video. It then became clear to me that this was a mentally disabled individual, from a very poor family. The video was of him, explaining how the game had brought him happiness because it allowed him as an individual to interact with other individuals, something real life had never allowed him to do.

It became clear that this was a deeply troubled individual, who had spent his entire life being ridiculed by others.
After his in-vent rant, he began to PM me.
He explained that he was homeschooled because he was bullied out of regular school, and that this is the reason he refused to leave his home.

On top of this, he explained (For some reason) that prior to this, he was insecure, however now he felt borderline suicidal.
Like I stated previously, we didn't care. But I felt responsible and could not have this on my coscience.

I messaged him back, and he gave me the cold shoulder.
I went up into the channel he was in, and told him to come with me into a different challel because I needed to talk to him.
I gave him the pep talk of his life, and it apparently made quite the impact. I explained to him that no one was here to ridicule him, and that he had the wrong idea. I went on to explain that we were all the same, no one was here to criticize him and that we are all just people, coming together to play a game.

I then played a second game with him, just to show him I was relatively serious, and he went back to being overly happy.
After the game, I instantly went and found a new vent for us to set up in again, but the last thing he sent to me was
"I hope we can still be friends."

Now, this was clearly more trouble than it was worth, but it is clear to me that I am dealing with a deeply, deeply troubled individual.

He never left his house, and was ridiculed out of his own school due to his disabilities.

As much as I would like to leave this behind me, delete him from my friends list, and never return to that vent, I feel inclined as a human being to "Be his friend"
As much as I RREALLY don't want anything to do with him, I feel like it's my responsibility to be there for this abandoned human when no one else will.

The other side of it is that this is CLEARLY more trouble than it's worth, and that I should just forget about it.
Its obvious my speech made a large impact on him, and I don't know what to do from here.

Why should I care when no one else does, what difference can I made?
Aside from that, he is unstable, im worried about him getting used to me being around and something worse happening in the long run.
I know im not a Psychiatrist or a doctor or ANYTHING like that and im not pretending to be.
But is is okay to look the other way on this one just because of that?

Ive been floating (Pun intended, see profile pic) for a couple of years now, and this is the first time I have felt the need to actually make a post. So please, be gentle :X

Am I overreacting to this?
Please give my your omniscent opinions, o great internet.

Captcha-
Easy as cake
Yes captcha, if only.

Edit- I can't stress this enough, I saw the video posted for a contest based around the game.
Sadly, this is no Troll.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I'm 90% sure he is just having a laugh but at the off chance that he is for real you got two things waiting down the line, either you get the hell out of there or anal rape.
I exaggerate of course but this does not seem like someone to associate with on any level, whatever his deal actually is there are many things he needs to sort out for himself and possibly with professional help, which you are not.

DiZtAnT

Oct 20, 2010
Im aware that im far from professional, im still in highschool.
However when he says stuff like "all I ever wanted was friends"
I still can't help but feel bad about it.

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
Everyone only ever wants friends. The thing is, as human beings, we have free will. If his situation is so horrible, he has to help himself. Friends can't fix you unless you're willing to fix yourself first. Help those who help themselves. Compassion is a great to have as a person, but don't let your compassion be a net for the crazies that you can't help.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All I can say is that don't let it consume you like this guy (it's somewhat related) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_273/8153-Second-Real-Life . Sure you can try to help as much as you can but at the end of the day you're still human.

Mayhaps

Mar 8, 2012
I don't have much to add on the subject at hand. But if you want a ventrilo server I was given one some time back and we're not using it anymore.
Send me a PM and I'll create users and give you the info.