An issue with Fable 3

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Something that is really important for me in RPGs is the lore. The Gods they worship, the lands history and old legends really brings a huge depth for me in the game. Dragon Age had a good lore, because you felt like it could have been a real place sorta, if you forget the magic, dragons and all that ofcourse. Things have a reason for being what they are, rather than just being there.

Problem is that Fable 3 doesn't really have this. It wouldn't be a issue if it weren't that I knew that there is a strong lore, it is just never showed up. It really brings me off a bit to be honest. Players of Fable 1 will surely remember parts of the lore. About Archon and his battles.

Discussion: Well, obviously do you feel the same about Fable 3? But also, is lore important to you? What is your favorite etc etc?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
It is important to me, but sadly since they wanted to get rid of menus they don't allow to pick up pieces of paper that are around the place, but just read them while you're there. It annoys me.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Palademon said:
It is important to me, but sadly since they wanted to get rid of menus they don't allow to pick up pieces of paper that are around the place, but just read them while you're there. It annoys me.
I like the new menu system as a whole, but I agree that it creates some issues such as the one you pointed out. Maybe there could be some kind of archive in the sanctury that saves them?

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
I havent played it yet, but thats a real shame about Fable 3. A game that supposedly prides itself on a rich fantasy setting had better have some decent mythology of its own to back it up.

Yeah the lore is a major point of interest when trying to get involved in ANY story of a game I play. Or movie I watch or book I read. The more time they spend developing an intersting background the better, it makes the gameplay and characters shine all the brighter. It's just kinda dissapointing that so many fantasy settings subscribe to Cliche Magazine, in that they have a hard bitten, brooding hero, a girl dressed in colourful tissues that does magic, an evil jerkwad king/demon guy, and a fourth character that nobody cares about or remembers who gets killed halfway through.

Oddly, the mythology I found to be most enjoyable is the greek mythology of the God of War games. I'm a big Greek Mythology nut and I love all its colourful characters and real-world influence.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Isn't the Fable 3 lore Fable 1 and 2? >.>

Also Dragon Age was hardcore about it's lore, they went back 1000 years and made a huge lore filled timelime. >.> I doubt Fable cared to do that.

To me lore is not that important, but having no lore at all would be silly. I don't have a favorite lore though, because the more lore a game has the more people take it seriously and then books get made by different authors peopel read all the books say they're all cannon things get fucked up and this book says this but this books says that yeah well the developer says this and my friend read this on a website that says this website says it found this in a japanese magazine and no one can read it but we all know what it says and my grandma makes the best cookies and-...

Okay really I just hate canonicity. It ruins lore. So do people.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Shycte said:
Palademon said:
I like the new menu system as a whole, but I agree that it creates some issues such as the one you pointed out. Maybe there could be some kind of archive in the sanctury that saves them?
There are several problems I'd like to see fixed with Fable's constant way of "one step forwards, two steps back" where they introduce new ideas with flaws and forget about things that worked.

I want the menus back for buying things. The new system means there's alot less things to buy and nothing more than what you can see. A general store is nothing but three potions. And there's very little clothes. Also the map system is stupid. They make several things part of the same place seperate regions and you cant fast travel to caves. And all maps have been made circular and completely disproportionate and hard to follow as an actual map.

EDIT: Old things that worked: I want classes of weapons back, and more than just swords, hammer, rifles and pistols. I wants types of rifles and pistols back too. I also want a Fable game that has bosses again.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I wish they brought that sort of history back into the games, try to involve the Archon/Hero bloodline, The Court and The Void and the Spire somehow. I really want to know more about Theresa and her motives.

If they bring that back for the next game, it will be better than Cthulu wrestling Chuck Norris in a Tsunami whilst the Galaxy begins to explode.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
oplinger said:
I guess one could say that, but there is like a shit load of thigns that happend before the first one.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
I wish they brought that sort of history back into the games, try to involve the Archon/Hero bloodline, The Court and The Void and the Spire somehow. I really want to know more about Theresa and her motives.
You are on my track now brother! I read about The Court and everything on the website prior to Fable 2. I was like, "holy shit this is awesome".

Then Lionhead NEVER EVER touches it again.

Feels bad man.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Shycte said:
Flamezdudes said:
You are on my track now brother! I read about The Court and everything on the website prior to Fable 2. I was like, "holy shit this is awesome".

Feels bad man.
It is quite frustrating. Also, here's a question involving Fable 3 so don't read if you haven't completed the game.

What in the HELL was the Crawler? Why was it trying to take over the world? Why was Theresa involved? It's like one of those enemies who are just there to be an antagonist and nothing else is developed.

Also, according to the Love ending in Fable 2, Scythe is still alive as he is looking after Rose. I wanna see him! >_>

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Shycte said:
Flamezdudes said:

Feels bad man.
It is quite frustrating. Also, here's a question involving Fable 3 so don't read if you haven't completed the game.

What in the HELL was the Crawler? Why was it trying to take over the world? Why was Theresa involved? It's like one of those enemies who are just there to be an antagonist and nothing else is developed.

Also, according to the Love ending in Fable 2, Scythe is still alive as he is looking after Rose. I wanna see him! >_>
Fuck yeah! Scythe is fucking awesome, there are theories that he might be the first archon. Could make sense...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Palademon said:
Shycte said:
Palademon said:
There are several problems I'd like to see fixed with Fable's constant way of "one step forwards, two steps back" where they introduce new ideas with flaws and forget about things that worked.

I want the menus back for buying things. The new system means there's alot less things to buy and nothing more than what you can see. A general store is nothing but three potions. And there's very little clothes. Also the map system is stupid. They make several things part of the same place seperate regions and you cant fast travel to caves. And all maps have been made circular and completely disproportionate and hard to follow as an actual map.

EDIT: Old things that worked: I want classes of weapons back, and more than just swords, hammer, rifles and pistols. I wants types of rifles and pistols back too. I also want a Fable game that has bosses again.
I agree.

Every game should have a menu. Even if it doesn't really pause the game (like in Demon's Souls), there should still be some kind of menu that takes you out of the game world for a few seconds. If only for some peace of mind. Ofcourse you could always press the Home button on your controller, but still... All they had to do was make the menu better and more user-friendly.

And all the charm that your dog had in the second game has all but disappeared.

I was never a big fan of Fable 2, but Fable 3 made me look back on that buggy experience with a smile on my face.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I have not played Fable 3 and I dont plan to, but lore is nice to have. The reason I like the halo stories is because of the lore that both the UNSC and Covenant have. Fiction like Lord of The Rings and Star Wars would have been considerably less enjoyable without the lore for me.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
While I'm really turned off by medieval lore, I have to say I find rich backstories to Sci-fi games fascinating. I loved reading about all the origins of species and inter-galactic politics of the Mass Effects for example, and the more political and steampunk Fable gets, the more engaged I am.

May 28, 2009
Shycte said:
oplinger said:
I guess one could say that, but there is like a shit load of thigns that happend before the first one.
Yeah I see your point, the games are too focused on the main character and not the world around it.

Mass Effect is a good example of how this should work (yeah I know it's sci fi) but it has a strong background story giving the game a lived in feel, rather than "this is universe revolves around me" feel.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I don't have this problem with the Fable games, because Albion is just old England, or, as the accents would have you believe, the entirety of the British Isles, so I already have my lore in my head, whereas, with a game like Dragon Age: Origins, the world is a new place and as such needs it's own background etc.

Maybe I'm one of the odd people that sees Fable this way, I just hope I'm not alone.

blxtnsq

Nov 12, 2009
Lore is pretty important to me. I haven't played Fable III yet, but I was never really taken to the Fable universe because it felt so empty lore-wise.
Which is why I'm a massive Morrowind fan. It's not for everyone. You're bombarded with myths and legends and politics and religion until you want to cry. It took until my second playthrough to really appreciate it. But after getting used to Morrowind, going back to Fable is just so hard.

Manbro

Oct 23, 2008
I personally really enjoy learning about all the back story that universe has to offer. In games, especially in RPG's it really annoys me when they don't give at least some background on the civilization or society you're in. My favorite game lore's are Dragon Age's as well as Mass Effect's. I especially liked the voice-over read codex system they used for Mass Effect.