Analyst: Resident Evil 7 Will "Go Back to Horror Roots"

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
At this point, I hardly give a shit about "going back to roots". Yes, RE games were my source of scares in the PS2 era, and loved those games to death, especially for getting me into their world and unique brand of characterization, storytelling, and horror.

I don't care that RE6 "lost focus", it seemed to me that they were just torn from all the feedback of people wanting to go back to roots, and others enjoying the more action, co-op aspects of RE5, so they said y'know what, let's give 'em ALL of that. I find it quite amazing that they could squeeze it all in. The gripes still exist, but have since been sorta patched out. I.e: the quicktime events, and the FOV. Which I appreciated a lot.

I still play the mercenaries mode today, it's great co-op with someone who might be equally inclined. Long story short, I don't care what they do with the game, but I think at this point, making it scary while retaining the same cast and story line would just be weird. I mean, can you imagine Leon holding a gun at a zombie ambling towards him and saying "please sir! remain calm! We're here to help! Sir!"
Nope. But Revelations 2, as Claire and Moira try to figure out their predicament and where the hell they are, added a lot of tension and atmosphere, even considering what Claire's seen.

TL;DR - Just make it whatever it's going to be, hardly matters anymore given the history of RE games. Oh, and bring back Jill please! Thanks!

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Make it more tense and difficult yeah but for the love of God don't bring back the shitty tank controls of the originals. It'd just make the games feel even MORE dated than any damning pop culture reference they could throw in.

I mean Revelations 2 was a....glance in the right direction I suppose. Bonus points for Claire in a sexy cowgirl outfit. But otherwise we may as well make a game comprised ENTIRELY of new characters or at least MOSTLY. I think we've all had our fill of Chris, Leon and Ada for a LONG while now.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I don't believe Capcom even know what that means anymore. Considering that all their latest attempts, Revelations, Leon's RE6 campaign, and Revelations 2 were mediocre at best, I think horror is outside their comprehension nowadays.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
>resident evil
>horror
pick one

Or rather, Resident Evil was never frightening. It's always had a campy so-bad-its-good feel to it. It's never been genuinely scary.
But the same can be said for most horror games, really.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Really? Will it really Capcom? For real this time? I dunno, it sounds like a lot of people aren't willing to take you back, no matter how much you grovel at our feet