Analyst: Used Game Boom Correlates With New Sales Decline

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Lord_Jaroh said:
Wasn't there once a time where it was legal to own slaves? Where it was protected within laws to have a slave and treat him a certain way? Whatever happened with those laws? Oh yeah...they were changed!

Laws can be changed, and will, when society at large determines they have had enough of "people in charge" ordering them around like they were so much cattle.

Just because the way copyright is represented in the laws currently does not make it right, nor does it mean this is the way it should, nor will, be treated in the future. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later that people decide that they should stop giving up their rights to corporations.
As opposed to people giving up their rights to random other people? Either way someone is giving up their rights. Every step toward your right to access my work for free is a step away from my right to profit from my efforts.

The same copyrights which protect "evil, soulless corporations" also protects a small-business owner who comes up with a new statistical model. It also protects a writer, a musician, a small independent developer.

How is it any more fair to subjugate the right of someone who works hard, and comes up with some creative work to the whims of the people, than any supposed suppression of rights you speak of? How does it suppress any right of mine for a company of individual to insist on its right to profit from a product it has made?

I simply don't comprehend your argument here. Maybe it's because I have more allegiance to those producing the work (speaking as someone whose entire livelihood is similarly only existent insofar as I'm being paid for ephemeral things like expertise and knowledge), but it seems simply wrong to want to take away the right to profit from hard work in developing a product.