Analysts Predict PS3 Holiday Dominance

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I've had my PS3 for ever... and I already have a Wii...

This holiday season I'm just getting a boardgame. Screw the console wars and all you fanboys, I'm keeping gaming old school this season!

Oh snap :p

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
Well, I had to wait in line at my local games shop yesterday lunchtime because not one, but 2 guys were purchasing new PS3 slims, and a couple of games each.

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was really telling for me. I rekon they are going to sell a massive stack of PS3's between now and xmas.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
The PS3 may sell well, but its games, on the other hand [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95328-Paddy-Power-Lists-Odds-for-Best-Selling-Holiday-Videogame]? That's another story altogether.
Apropos of what now? Was the story so positive that we needed the backhand to tone stuff down?

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The PS3 may sell well, but its games, on the other hand [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95328-Paddy-Power-Lists-Odds-for-Best-Selling-Holiday-Videogame]? That's another story altogether.
Apropos of what now? Was the story so positive that we needed the backhand to tone stuff down?
It wouldn't be the Escapist if it wasn't.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Analysts predict a lot of things. It may be that this prediction will turn out to be true, but at the end of the day, I'm glad I still chose the 360. It was my favorite choice at the time and it still is.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
ChromeAlchemist said:
Microsoft don't have any more cards to deal, to be honest. Every console has cut their price, and none of them have anything that will spike sales it seems. There's only so much one could drop the price before it reeks of desperation, let alone cutting into profits.
Hardly. If they dropped the price of the Elite to $25 dollars, you don't think that would cause a massive spike in sales? Obviously that's a extreme example, but price drops can help obviously.

Like I said, if they give the arcade a harddrive, it would essentially have been a roundabout way of cutting the price of the Pro by $100. And we all know how well the Pro sold against the PS3 when it was $100 dollars lower. It consistently beat out the PS3.

Likewise, they could give a free game (that was awesome) and wireless dongle with the Elite model and it would be a better deal than the PS3. Of course they don't want to do that because it would eat into profits. But at this point, the 360 division is MUCH more profitable than the PS3 division so they could do it if they wanted.