Analytical by nature: why are you such a prick?

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
I sometimes find that when I'm confronted in an arguement, I oft get the saying "I'm analytical by nature," Which should mean "OK, I enjoy breaking stuff down to it's parts and observing them," but for me instead comes off as being "I'm an incessant prick who will defend my (whatever) to the death." So for all you Escapist who use the phrase "Analytical by nature" Do you mean it sincerely or are you just trying to heighten yourself above your opponent?

Also, you can't spell 'analytical' without 'anal'.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
You'll find that people who declare their awesome social attiributes are generally tossers. I know this because I'm super observant and analytical by nature.

Sane Man

Feb 24, 2009
I've never used it before that I can recall. I'd take it the same as you except the last part. The last part about you defending a point to the death is being stubborn, not analytical.

I suppose you could also take it as your opponent is considering you to be rather cold, or emotionless in your analysis.

Reokue

Dec 19, 2008
Not Good said:
I sometimes find that when I'm confronted in an arguement, I oft get the saying "I'm analytical by nature," Which should mean "OK, I enjoy breaking stuff down to it's parts and observing them," but for me instead comes off as being "I'm an incessant prick who will defend my (whatever) to the death." So for all you Escapist who use the phrase "Analytical by nature" Do you mean it sincerely or are you just trying to heighten yourself above your opponent?

Also, you can't spell 'analytical' without 'anal'.
Instead of "I'm analytical by nature" I use "technically,...", but I guess "technically,..." today also means "I'm being a prick" (but replace pr with a d). Usually I'm not trying to be a prick I'm just trying to make a point that reality is different that what is knowledge of those that I'm debating.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
You'll find that people who declare their awesome social attiributes are generally tossers. I know this because I'm super observant and analytical by nature.
A winner on the first reply? I do think this could be worth bookmarking.

Not Good said:
So for all you Escapist who use the phrase "Analytical by nature" Do you mean it sincerely or are you just trying to heighten yourself above your opponent?
You'll find they are trying to heighten themselves above themselves.

PrinnyGod

Sep 25, 2008
Analytical by nature is what most great philosophers were... and many psychopaths... the key is to not over analyzed the things with no hidden meaning... good luck

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
no no there is such a thing as analytical by nature. Its to do with the left hemisphere of the brain & is the reason why some people dont learn things as quickly as others either in school, job, etc usually because such thinkers arent taught by a method that acompanies such thinking (& vice vesa, right brained thinkers have trouble picking up analytical methods)

To learn something complex i need to understand the components that run it as a whole. That way i can see it in my mind working with every part functioning & determining other possible problems & outcomes & means of improving efficiency.

Other people view things as a whole & seem to work off that. I dont know how, my mind cant comprehent how it can be done that way but i suppose its cos i dont think that way.

Basically right brainers just want to go somewhere, lefties figure out how to get there.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
I am analytical by nature, but I mean it. I dont flaunt it over others either, usually I try to hide it. People hate it when you break down their logic and find the flaws, I dont do it on purpose, it just kinda happens.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Yes I'll analyze things. It starts by my questioning the reasoning behind something and usually leads me to finding a lot of strange things out. I'm an anti-conformist really and that leads me to analyze a lot of humanities tendencies.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
'Analytical by nature' seems like something people just throw in to insult the person they're arguing against and to (in their eyes) bolster their own argument.

If someone introduces themself here by genuinely saying that they're 'analytical by nature' it's like saying: Hi, I'm Scarecrow38 and I like whores. There's no real genuine, non- response- provoking response. Just like you would think wtf how can you be analytical, you don't know whether I'm joking or I have friends who are in that profession or that I like the idea behind the industry or I like them as professionals and they way they perform their services.

In both cases it's just best to ignore them and move on. Take no real notice because it's never going to be said seriously (for instance: I was joking before :D ).

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I don't think I've ever had anyone use the term "Analytical by nature" in a conversation before what kind of people do you talk to

bmf185

Jan 8, 2009
I once had a girl tell me that she was not a math problem and was not to be approached as such.

It was confusing, but yeah judging from that I guess I am pretty analytical.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I can safely say this is the first time I've ever heard the expression "analytical by nature".

squallsrapture

Feb 25, 2009
We're nerds. We thrive on breaking things down, and shouting to the digital hills that we have done so. If theres one thing nerds love its trying to look big and tough and cool, when the rest of the world shuns them. Compensating is fun eh? Oh and I'm pretty sure decoy doctorpus never said the word "tosser" before he heard Yahtzee say it.

haha. Anal.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I think a lot of the people who get into debates or flame wars on this forum are either those who like arguing or those who simply can't admit they're wrong and will use any means necessary to prove themselves right, no matter how illogical (ie fanboys).

People can be analytical by nature, but they're more likely to be the type who overthinks everything and worries about too many insubstantional things because they've spent so much time analysing every little piece of info they've convinced themselves they should be worried.

Using the phrase 'I'm analytical by nature' seems like a very cheap way to justify your position in a debate and more than anything else spells a total lack of creativity or abiltiy to defend your position with a reasoned and well thought out debate.

May 17, 2007
Not Good said:
for me instead comes off as being "I'm an incessant prick who will defend my (whatever) to the death." So for all you Escapist who use the phrase "Analytical by nature" Do you mean it sincerely or are you just trying to heighten yourself above your opponent?
Analytical people attack the facts. Non-analytical people attack their opponents. Apparently you're non-analytical.

Apparently so am I.