Anarchy Reigns Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Anarchy Reigns Review

Melodramatic, over the top and utterly ridiculous - but surprisingly fun.

Read Full Article

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It's 30 dollars to buy, which is surprisingly cheap for a brand new PS3/Xbox game, and my hype for it is because of the 2 best friends. I haven't bought it yet due to my limited income, but I'm very tempted.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
So I take it this is as close to God Hand 2 as it gets? Putting "Platinum Games" on the box just does something to my wallet...

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I would love to play this game but I ain't got the money right now. But I did see two best friends play this game. And I hope they helped boosted sales for this game.
I know for a fact that a bunch of people must have imported it because of them because there are people online way too experienced to have just been playing the new released western version.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Don't go on your own in team battles and you won't have to deal with those 3v1 situations. And use the terrain to your advantage and you won't get surrounded or blindsided. In short, suck less.

I get the feeling that this game was unfinished - like they wrapped it up and shipped it as soon as they were approached by Kojima to work on MGR. That said, it's still a Platinum Game, so it's still definitely worth playing.

Tturbo

Mar 10, 2011
"It feels a little weird that Anarchy isn't more structured"
Am I the only one who found that sentence hilarious ? That' kind of the goal of anarchy, the lack of structure... :3

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I would have been chomping at the bit to play this game since Bayonetta and Vanquish are some of my favorite games of all time, but until Platinum announces they're making a PS3/XBOX360 port of Bayonetta 2, I'm boycotting any and all products they make or are so much as associated with.

Freddyqaqualung

Nov 16, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
I would have been chomping at the bit to play this game since Bayonetta and Vanquish are some of my favorite games of all time, but until Platinum announces they're making a PS3/XBOX360 port of Bayonetta 2, I'm boycotting any and all products they make or are so much as associated with.
According to wikipedia: "The game was revealed during a Nintendo Presentation on September 13th, 2012. According to Atsushi Inaba, an executive director at Platinum Games, Bayonetta 2 would not exist if Nintendo hadn't partnered with Platinum Games to make the game. Because of this, Bayonetta 2 will be released exclusively on the Wii U."
So no, that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

Darquenaut

Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for posting this review.

I got this game and played through the campaign over the weekend. I have to say that this was an incredibly refreshing game to play.

To put this into perspective, let's say your typical AAA game release is the equivalent to a much touted and highly polished music album, remixed and retouched in a recording studio. This game is essentially a "Jam Room" type of game, where it definitely feels like the developers just had fun being ridiculous with this production, throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Also, one thing I think was left out of the review was the soundtrack. Just...awesome. Like the game itself, it is over-the-top and bombastic, but never to the point of detracting. It is the kind of soundtrack that just sticks in your brain and makes you want to keep on playing, even if you have no chance in hell of winning.

It's not the most polished presentation ever, but I think that is the point. This is ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous. I was very glad I picked up my copy. And it's only $30, so you can't really complain.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Tturbo said:
"It feels a little weird that Anarchy isn't more structured"
Am I the only one who found that sentence hilarious ? That' kind of the goal of anarchy, the lack of structure... :3
Your point seems to be that words are supposed to have meaning. Don't forget: With words, there's always humans involved. Humans (and their thoughts) are sometimes quite random.

Anarchy v3.0: Organized Religion
Anarchy v5.0: Democracy
Anarchy v5.5: Totalitarian Regime
Anarchy Ultimate: The Afterlife (every bit of random philosophical shit goes here)

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Man...this looks like a 3rd person PC game of some sort that's been restricted to brawling. This generation has really failed when it comes to brawlers, and God Hand was no where near as good as Urban Reign.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Also Bayonetta, because the game needed a stripper who looks like your mom's high school yearbook photo.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
rhizhim said:
looks like a fist of the north star clone
Having played both games extensively I must say that while some environments indeed look very similar games plays absolutely differently.
It's overall fun, but there are definitely issues. For example, on normal difficulty there are moments in campaign where you will die. And can't do anything about it. You get to respawn and continue on but the sheer notion that you just die in a game and you can't do anything about it is not pleasant. I prefer games where you die if you make a mistake or are just not good enough.
Multiplayer balance is way off. I've came 1st in 15 player match, next game - 10th in same kind of match. There is a lot of cheap stuff involved. Big issue with multiplayer - no join in progress and arbitrary player requirements. Why battle royale must be 12-16 players? And not 10 minimum? It's been dozens of times I've seen 10 people getting into lobby, waiting for 30 minutes, then leaving.

Also, this is nothing like God Hand. In GH if you're really good you can avoid all damage completely. Here you can't. For example, there are unblockable hitscan attacks that stunlock player forever.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
So I take it this is as close to God Hand 2 as it gets? Putting "Platinum Games" on the box just does something to my wallet...
Seriously, that was the first thought I had after watching this video for about ten seconds. I was watching the video and just heard the God Hand theme music.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
DrunkOnEstus said:
It's more like Madworld 2.
Half the cast is MadWorld characters.